Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm Contestant Alex missed his opportunity to say, "Who is a geezer, Alex?" But Trebek played it well anyway.
I would have considered, "Alex, who is a geezer?" without inflection.
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm Contestant Alex missed his opportunity to say, "Who is a geezer, Alex?" But Trebek played it well anyway.
I would have considered, "Alex, who is a geezer?" without inflection.
Perfect!
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Solomon was the first name to pop into my head, but Moses was second, which was good enough. Mosaic law, you know. I wonder if the similarity of "Solomon" to "Solon" quietly nudged some people that way.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lefty wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 am I wonder if the similarity of "Solomon" to "Solon" quietly nudged some people that way.
Solon, Ohio? Never been there. Seriously, I had to look up who Solon was, so one man's opinion, but I doubt it. I'd argue that King Solomon is remembered as one of history's most famous adjudicators. It makes more sense if it was the Supreme Court, but law and judgment kind of go hand-in-hand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We both precalled Brumidi, but that probably would have been above the usual FJ difficulty. I got it right. Someone else didn't but "it's on the other side of the Capitol". I explained that solving it had no connection to familiarity with the Capitol.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lithuania, (Blythe Spirit)
Douglas Squasoni
Ridiculogic

Post by Ridiculogic »

The crazy thing is that I used to GIVE TOURS OF THE U.S. CAPITOL when I was an intern for a House member way back when. I precalled "The Apotheosis of George Washington," which I always discussed during my tours (the title of the fresco on the underside of the dome -- painted by Brumidi, whom I didn't know). Or maybe one of the many notables in Statuary Hall (many of the statues are actually scattered around since they don't all fit in the hall).

Alas, it was sad to go out on such an easy FJ. "Lawgiver" tripped me up, since I think of Moses more as a messenger, rather than the originator of the laws, but then I googled and saw this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... series.jpg, so I can't complain about the wording one bit.

If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ridiculogic wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am The crazy thing is that I used to GIVE TOURS OF THE U.S. CAPITOL when I was an intern for a House member way back when. I precalled "The Apotheosis of George Washington," which I always discussed during my tours (the title of the fresco on the underside of the dome -- painted by Brumidi, whom I didn't know). Or maybe one of the many notables in Statuary Hall (many of the statues are actually scattered around since they don't all fit in the hall).

Alas, it was sad to go out on such an easy FJ. "Lawgiver" tripped me up, since I think of Moses more as a messenger, rather than the originator of the laws, but then I googled and saw this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... series.jpg, so I can't complain about the wording one bit.

If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
The consolation prize of "I Can Always Call Myself a Jeopardy Champion" is a good one.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 am I said Shackleford instead of Shackleton. D'oh!
Maybe you're just a little Rusty at solving clues like this.....
Spoiler
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 am I said Shackleford instead of Shackleton. D'oh!
Maybe you're just a little Rusty at solving clues like this.....
Spoiler
I thought about adding that "d'oh" was incongruous with "Shackleford."
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 pmFJ I considered and dismissed the correct answer (Solomon as well) because I assumed that for church/state reasons, the House wouldn't put such a major Judeo-Christian figure there. I said Julius Caesar.
Church/state reasons rarely seem to apply to public displays - there are still 10 Commandments, Moses, and other similar displays in hundreds of public/government spaces in the US. The House has also had an official chaplain, who gives prayers on the floor, since 1789.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Ridiculogic wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
Thanks for the primer on the difficulty of being a defending champ during hiatus. I had always assumed it would be an advantage since you get 3 weeks to bone up on your weaknesses while still having the benefit of having been there, done that.

Congrats on being a J! champ.
Ridiculogic

Post by Ridiculogic »

Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 am
Ridiculogic wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
Thanks for the primer on the difficulty of being a defending champ during hiatus. I had always assumed it would be an advantage since you get 3 weeks to bone up on your weaknesses while still having the benefit of having been there, done that.

Congrats on being a J! champ.
The 3 weeks of studying definitely helped, as I got 3-4 clues right in game 2 that I may not have absent studying (compared to zero in my first game), but I have to believe there is an advantage to going right back out after 15 minutes of clothes changing and makeup in terms of maintaining your timing with the buzzer.

Oh, and I was thinking that I would get an extra 3 weeks of studying over my post-hiatus competitors, but I think they got The Call just one week (not three weeks) after my Call.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Pretty FJ good wager on Alex's part, coming from second place. Well done.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

27,800 coryat.

My attention to detail/reading comprehension on final was severely impaired. First thought was Moses but switched to Solomon because he was a judge and would make more sense for the Supreme Court. Googled Supreme Court Building statues and found statues of both Moses and Solomon. When I pointed this out to my brother, he told me to reread the question. :oops:
I would prefer not to.