Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm
Contestant Alex missed his opportunity to say, "Who is a geezer, Alex?" But Trebek played it well anyway.
I would have considered, "Alex, who is a geezer?" without inflection.
OCSam

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 am

OrangeSAM wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm
Contestant Alex missed his opportunity to say, "Who is a geezer, Alex?" But Trebek played it well anyway.
I would have considered, "Alex, who is a geezer?" without inflection.
Perfect!

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 am

Solomon was the first name to pop into my head, but Moses was second, which was good enough. Mosaic law, you know. I wonder if the similarity of "Solomon" to "Solon" quietly nudged some people that way.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4121
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am

Lefty wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 am
I wonder if the similarity of "Solomon" to "Solon" quietly nudged some people that way.
Solon, Ohio? Never been there. Seriously, I had to look up who Solon was, so one man's opinion, but I doubt it. I'd argue that King Solomon is remembered as one of history's most famous adjudicators. It makes more sense if it was the Supreme Court, but law and judgment kind of go hand-in-hand.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5898
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am

We both precalled Brumidi, but that probably would have been above the usual FJ difficulty. I got it right. Someone else didn't but "it's on the other side of the Capitol". I explained that solving it had no connection to familiarity with the Capitol.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 am

56 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lithuania, (Blythe Spirit)
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

Ridiculogic
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ridiculogic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am

The crazy thing is that I used to GIVE TOURS OF THE U.S. CAPITOL when I was an intern for a House member way back when. I precalled "The Apotheosis of George Washington," which I always discussed during my tours (the title of the fresco on the underside of the dome -- painted by Brumidi, whom I didn't know). Or maybe one of the many notables in Statuary Hall (many of the statues are actually scattered around since they don't all fit in the hall).

Alas, it was sad to go out on such an easy FJ. "Lawgiver" tripped me up, since I think of Moses more as a messenger, rather than the originator of the laws, but then I googled and saw this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... series.jpg, so I can't complain about the wording one bit.

If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5898
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Ridiculogic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am
The crazy thing is that I used to GIVE TOURS OF THE U.S. CAPITOL when I was an intern for a House member way back when. I precalled "The Apotheosis of George Washington," which I always discussed during my tours (the title of the fresco on the underside of the dome -- painted by Brumidi, whom I didn't know). Or maybe one of the many notables in Statuary Hall (many of the statues are actually scattered around since they don't all fit in the hall).

Alas, it was sad to go out on such an easy FJ. "Lawgiver" tripped me up, since I think of Moses more as a messenger, rather than the originator of the laws, but then I googled and saw this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... series.jpg, so I can't complain about the wording one bit.

If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
The consolation prize of "I Can Always Call Myself a Jeopardy Champion" is a good one.

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 am
I said Shackleford instead of Shackleton. D'oh!
Maybe you're just a little Rusty at solving clues like this.....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5571
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 pm

AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:27 am
I said Shackleford instead of Shackleton. D'oh!
Maybe you're just a little Rusty at solving clues like this.....
I thought about adding that "d'oh" was incongruous with "Shackleford."

User avatar
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 pm
FJ I considered and dismissed the correct answer (Solomon as well) because I assumed that for church/state reasons, the House wouldn't put such a major Judeo-Christian figure there. I said Julius Caesar.
Church/state reasons rarely seem to apply to public displays - there are still 10 Commandments, Moses, and other similar displays in hundreds of public/government spaces in the US. The House has also had an official chaplain, who gives prayers on the floor, since 1789.

Kenny
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Kenny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 am

Ridiculogic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am
If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
Thanks for the primer on the difficulty of being a defending champ during hiatus. I had always assumed it would be an advantage since you get 3 weeks to bone up on your weaknesses while still having the benefit of having been there, done that.

Congrats on being a J! champ.

Ridiculogic
Just Starting Out on JBoard
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ridiculogic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Kenny wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 am
Ridiculogic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am
If only the buzzer magic had carried over from my first game. The 3 weeks between tapings ensured that didn't happen, and I knew I was in trouble when I got out-buzzed on all of the first 3 clues. By my count, I was only beaten to the buzzer 9 times in my first game, but 20 times in Game 2 (plus the 2 DDs that Alex hit). Still, I probably hit my fair share (or perhaps even more considering Lee didn't get in much).
Thanks for the primer on the difficulty of being a defending champ during hiatus. I had always assumed it would be an advantage since you get 3 weeks to bone up on your weaknesses while still having the benefit of having been there, done that.

Congrats on being a J! champ.
The 3 weeks of studying definitely helped, as I got 3-4 clues right in game 2 that I may not have absent studying (compared to zero in my first game), but I have to believe there is an advantage to going right back out after 15 minutes of clothes changing and makeup in terms of maintaining your timing with the buzzer.

Oh, and I was thinking that I would get an extra 3 weeks of studying over my post-hiatus competitors, but I think they got The Call just one week (not three weeks) after my Call.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1014
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cinemaniax7 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Pretty FJ good wager on Alex's part, coming from second place. Well done.

User avatar
Bartleby
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Monday, October 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bartleby » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:43 pm

27,800 coryat.

My attention to detail/reading comprehension on final was severely impaired. First thought was Moses but switched to Solomon because he was a judge and would make more sense for the Supreme Court. Googled Supreme Court Building statues and found statues of both Moses and Solomon. When I pointed this out to my brother, he told me to reread the question. :oops:
I would prefer not to.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests