Wednesday, October 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 am
Rackme32 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 am For the wristwatch/smartwatch controversy, I'd say that "wristwatch" would need a BMS since the clue said the watch name had the word "connected" in it. I doubt many (if any) ordinary wristwatches are connected to the 'net in the way a smartwatch is.
The question is not whether "smartwatch" is a more precise response, but whether "wristwatch" fits all of the information presented in the clue and the strictures of the category. The clue was "Compound word you're wearing if you've put on a Tag Heuer Connected Modular." A Tag Heuer Connected Modular is a wristwatch, and "wristwatch" is a compound word.
It's also a timepiece and a wristband. Are we prepared to accept those as well? And it's hardware and software bundled together, making either of those acceptable. How far do we want to push this?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 am Did anyone else respond to the Jabberwocky clue with "outgribe" for pedantry's sake, since "outgrabe" is the past tense?

Didn't remember the present tense, but I did have enough pedantry to note that "outgrabe" did not fit the grammar of the clue.

I'd love to see/hear a show called Pedantry! where you earn points by explaining why the clue or your opponent's response is technically incorrect and/or offering a more correct phrasing. This seems like the kind of thing the BBC radio people would know how to do.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:03 pm I connected "service" to the Labors, and had "underworld" also help me get Hercules as the right response.
Exactly. Six = half of the services. Hercules should have come to mind immediately. I got it, and so did Alex, but Mary and Chris wandered off to other destinations.

Alex looks gooooood as he cruises to another win. Very impressive.

My only LT: AT&T, (in the) pipeline, Call of the Wild, and horse. Also got Airbus thanks to a recent J! contestant quiz.

I'm assuming that in the "out" category, when they described the loss of electrical power, blackout would be just as acceptable as outage.

And very nice get on the Carroll line: the : "Mome rath outgrabe." Yeah, that was worth $2K.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 am Did anyone else respond to the Jabberwocky clue with "outgribe" for pedantry's sake, since "outgrabe" is the past tense?
As old as I am, I've never seen anyone try to conjugate that verb before. :shock:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 am
As old as I am, I've never seen anyone try to conjugate that verb before. :shock:
So it was your first conjugate visit?
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am
I'm assuming that in the "out" category, when they described the loss of electrical power, blackout would be just as acceptable as outage.
I don't think so. Wasn't the category looking for words that begin with "out"? At any rate, I negged myself for the same response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Saturnalia wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:23 am
I don't think so. Wasn't the category looking for words that begin with "out"? At any rate, I negged myself for the same response.
I added Alex's qualifier to the Archive for that category. "OUT" will begin each correct response. Blackout is a neg.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: AT&T, Call of the Wild, Main, (Airbus), Horses
Douglas Squasoni
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:03 pm I connected "service" to the Labors, and had "underworld" also help me get Hercules as the right response.
Exactly. Six = half of the services. Hercules should have come to mind immediately. I got it, and so did Alex, but Mary and Chris wandered off to other destinations.

Actually, Chris was not wandering.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still don't know how I had such a comprehension fail on this.

It should've been easy. Crete = Greece. The underworld = probably Greek mythology. And from there, an easy path to the tasks of Hercules.

But I saw this clue as "blah blah blah Eurystheus blah blah Thrace" and I just came completely unraveled. Somehow it felt like the clue was no longer even a sentence. It didn't even feel like it was words. It just felt like a jumble of letters. I couldn't even begin to think at all so I just spent the whole Think! music in a stupor.

What was that? Panic? Exhaustion?
davey

Post by davey »

Forget about wristwatches or the correct tense of nonsense words...the most controversial thing on this episode was Alex T. saying that Kurt Vonnegut is "not funny." I'm assuming he hasn't read KV in a long time...BTW, Alex S. contradicted our host (I find him funny often, yeah) and lived to see another day...
https://soundcloud.com/kurtvonneguys
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33 am Forget about wristwatches or the correct tense of nonsense words...the most controversial thing on this episode was Alex T. saying that Kurt Vonnegut is "not funny." I'm assuming he hasn't read KV in a long time...BTW, Alex S. contradicted our host (I find him funny often, yeah) and lived to see another day...
https://soundcloud.com/kurtvonneguys
In response to Alex's claim that Vonnegut isn't funny, I have four words: "Farts and tap dancing."
rufiowong

Post by rufiowong »

bomtr wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Actually, Chris was not wandering.
I did wander actually for awhile....but eventually got to the right response with a few seconds left. That's why my handwriting was so poor :lol:

Also hello to the board!
rufiowong

Post by rufiowong »

John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am And very nice get on the Carroll line: the : "Mome rath outgrabe." Yeah, that was worth $2K.
Thanks! Of all the correct responses I got (of which there were sadly few and far between) I was the most proud of that ;) That definitely came from a part of my brain that hadn't been accessed in quite some time and honestly didn't even know was there!
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

35,000 coryat. Instaget final.

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 am TPH: The "word" in the Out! category for $2000 was "Outgrabe". From that incredibly stupid nonsense poem by Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky". I never heard that outgrabe thingy before, either. I doubt you're missing anything (except a few correct J! responses) by not knowing this work of "literature".
Hmm, so you're familiar enough with the poem to completely dismiss it but have never heard of "that outgrabe thingy before"?

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
I would prefer not to.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Bartleby wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 pm
Hmm, so you're familiar enough with the poem to completely dismiss it but have never heard of "that outgrabe thingy before"?
I only found out about "that outgrabe thingy" by Googling, but yes, I am extremely vaguely familiar with the poem's existence. And I hope I never actually have to read the bleeping thing all the way thru.