Thursday, October 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this 1947 Lerner & Loewe musical may come from the construction seen here
Spoiler
Alex Schmidt: 19900+8101=28001 (4x = $92,880)
Patrick Wyman: 14000-2200=11800
Kristina Johnson: 8000-6001=1999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Brigadoon (Patrick – A Roman arch) (Kristina – Bridge Over Troubled Wa)

Daily Doubles
Patrick: 3200-1600
Alex: 12800+1500
Patrick: 4400+4400

Coryats
Alex: 20000
Patrick: 12800
Kristina: 8000

Combined: 40,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alex: 4400
Patrick: 4800
Kristina: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Did the writers purposely intend the misdirection with the clue prior to DD1 being something on water and making me once again thinking water when I saw “craft” & “knots” in the wording? I was at sea to switch gears to the intended type of craft.

Champ Alex allowed the game to get a bit away from him after DD2 when he led 14300 to 5600 to 3200 with 18 clues (16 of which were revealed) remaining. The runaway turned into a 2/3rds with Patrick ready to pounce if the FJ! clue had been a TS.

Instead Alex had the sole solve to put himself of the middle of the ToC list.

The FJ! clue having the visual meant the NYT clue of the day came instead from a regular clue. In this instance it was DD3.

Even though I think of BROADWAY MUSICALS as neutral for me as a category, my LL of .744 indicates I should have the glass more than half full. When I saw the clue and image I had an insta-50:50 as My Fair Lady was out (in my mind the writers can’t be that crazy) due to the Pygmalion clue from a few weeks back.

Left with choice B or choice C I went the right way as nothing was steering me towards King Arthur. Someone with better stage knowledge would have an easier time with 1960 not close to 1947.

Patrick and Kristina with their responses showed how wide open it was for a wrong guess as the clue and the image don’t really have a lot to go on. The slightly more helpful path was to have three titles at the ready just off the common L&L works that J! likes to use.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm
The FJ! clue having the visual meant the NYT clue of the day came instead from a regular clue. In this instance it was DD3.

Even though I think of BROADWAY MUSICALS as neutral for me as a category, my LL of .744 indicates I should have the glass more than half full. When I saw the clue and image I had an insta-50:50 as My Fair Lady was out (in my mind the writers can’t be that crazy) due to the Pygmalion clue from a few weeks back.
I was a stagehand when my high school put on the musical. My younger sister saw some of the notes and stage directions at home, and used a soft G to ask "What is "Bridge-adoon" about?".

That was in 1968 or '69 -- but it still led to an immediate response.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm
Patrick and Kristina with their responses showed how wide open it was for a wrong guess as the clue and the image don’t really have a lot to go on. The slightly more helpful path was to have three titles at the ready just off the common L&L works that J! likes to use.
Given what contestants have said about the difficulty in seeing visual clues, and that you'd really have to be familiar with the material to get the connection between what appeared to be a random bridge* - this seems to be an instance where everything after Lerner & Loewe and 1947 is unnecessary at best and misleading at worst.

(*Wikipedia tells me that what's depicted is known as the Brig o' Doon - which, file under "learn something new every day" I guess).
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

J! writers blew it on the Edison rival clue. When I saw it, my first response was to say Tesla, but knew when he developed alternating current for Westinghouse (the source of his feud with Edison, who preferred DC), he was an American citizen. So I responded with Marconi, who was an Italian engineer & inventor.

A little research (i.e. Wikipedia) proved me right. Nikola Telsa was granted U.S. citizenship in 1884, and patented the AC induction motor in 1888. One could say he was a Serbian-American inventor and engineer, but he was most definitely not a "European inventor."
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well, I guess I'm glad that Kristina had the same response for FJ that I did. Makes me feel like my answer maybe wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Nothing else could come to mind, so I was just hoping that there was an off chance that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" happened to mean something before Simon & Garfunkel.

I don't think I got any of the DDs right either today.

Congrats to Alex on an impressive win.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought I knew my 90's cartoons forward and backward, but Æon Flux was a total NHOI for me.

Ran the Stock Symbols category, got all but canals in Hobbies (couldn't get off "rivers" in time), "frost cost" in Rhyme Time (got stuck on "icicle" and blanked on the word "cost"), all but tattooing in Edison (said piercing instead).

Zaphod Beeblebrox has two heads? I could've taken 400 guesses and not gotten that.

Lord Jim = Conrad seemed obscure for the top box.

Even the "River Doon" hint meant literally nothing to me. I've heard the name Brigadoon before, but like so many other names, I didn't stop to find what it actually was.

Lach Trash: Chevron, Rite Aid, maelstrom, German
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said My Fair Lady.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Very excited that Alex won again, he's been a pleasure to watch this week! He has certainly looked like a ToC contender the last three days with some fantastic bottom row solves. Recent Broadway is fine, but don't know enough older Broadway to have gotten close; props to Alex for solving a tough clue.

Sort of surprised to find out there are roughly 30 states that have a Rite Aid. They're all over New England and the east coast but wasn't sure outside of that.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

threearruda wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 pm Sort of surprised to find out there are roughly 30 states that have a Rite Aid. They're all over New England and the east coast but wasn't sure outside of that.
Here in Michigan, we seem to have FAR more Rite Aids than Walgreens. I've seen small, one-stoplight towns that don't even have a McDonald's, yet have a Rite Aid. They already had quite a few in the state before they decided to buy out the local Perry Drug chain AND Revco, meaning that there were quite a few instances where it was possible to find a purpose-built Rite Aid and a converted Perry within the same few blocks (including my little podunk nowhere hometown of Oscoda).

They're also very strong on the West Coast because they bought out Thrifty Payless.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm Did the writers purposely intend the misdirection with the clue prior to DD1 being something on water and making me once again thinking water when I saw “craft” & “knots” in the wording? I was at sea to switch gears to the intended type of craft.
Same here. I guessed "yacht" just to have something and was embarrassed when Mrs P correctly guessed macrame.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I can only name 3 L&L musicals: Brigadoon, Camelot, and My Fair Lady. Thankfully, one of those made some sense.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So that what Brigadoon means...huh. It's been 2 hours since the episode aired, and I still wouldn't have gotten any further than 'bridge' without the reveal. But I know less about musicals than the average housecat so *shrug*

Francois-Marie Arouet = Voltaire shouldn't be a TS.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Cartoon Females (4), Stock Symbols (4), A River Runs Through It: World Edition (4), I Need a Hobby! (2), Met. Rhyme Time (3), Edison Labs (4)
Driving Alexis (4), Unusual Characters (3), 18th Century (3), Isle of Dogs (2), "AE" (1), Exophones (1)

Lach Trash: Seoul, Rite Aid, German, Alexis de Tocqueville

Instaget FJ- I remember reading through the clues about Brigadoon in the J! Archive.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another My Fair Lady here. Managed to convince myself that was London Bridge.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I found a way to make My Fair Lady make sense: the title comes from the song "London Bridge." In retrospect the setting of the painting was too pastoral for London (and it didn't look like Arizona either), but once I had connected L&L to a bridge I'd gotten where I wanted to go.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

threearruda wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 pm Sort of surprised to find out there are roughly 30 states that have a Rite Aid. They're all over New England and the east coast but wasn't sure outside of that.
Rite Aid acquired a big drugstore chain in the West (Thrifty) a couple decades ago, which gave them a much wider presence than they'd previously had.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Seoul, (Macramé), Chevron, Rite Aid, Maelstrom, German, Voltaire, Newfoundland

Only misses today were Aeon Flux, the bottom two in Unusual Characters, and Alexis $1200.
Douglas Squasoni