What Determines For Whom You Root on Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: What Determines For Whom You Root on Jeopardy?

Post by OrangeSAM »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 pm I root for those who don’t act like idiots. I root against most who start their sentences with “so...” if someone has an interesting story, I root for them.
So you'll be rooting against me if I am ever on?
OCSam
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm I root for anyone who seems to take trivia and/or quizbowl seriously and isn't just on Jeopardy! for the experience, and anyone from Ohio.
And where are YOU from, BTW?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I watch Jeopardy the way I watch sports.

I root for people I know or who have some connection to me... But largely I root for amazing stuff to happen: I want to be awed by how much stuff the contestants know; by how fast they are on the buzzer. I am impressed with daring bets on daily doubles, and by betting strategies that worked (even if this board hates the bet).

When I watch hockey or football, I want to see athletic displays that leave me shaking my head because I could never do them, no matter how hard I train. I want to see the Jeopardy equivalent.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 pm I root for those who don’t act like idiots. I root against most who start their sentences with “so...” if someone has an interesting story, I root for them.
I know there's a lot of discussion about players' personalities, and different people like different things. I think I'm with you on this. I love seeing players who are animated and seem to be having a good time. Some clearly take this to another level. I have trouble watching over-the-top, "ain't-I-cute?" behavior. As someone said here, it's about the show, not about you. Cool it and play the game.

That said, I really get amped watching someone who is very knowledgeable about a wide variety of things, who plays effectively, who is a savvy wagerer (this is a must), and can be fun without being a buffoon. Our current champ is an excellent example of all of these, which is why I'm enjoying his run.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

I guess the overarching criterion is that the person has to have something interesting about them. I liked Arthur Chu and Matt Jackson because they were just steamrolling folks. Buzzy grew on me - I thought he was maybe a little cocky but maybe I was a little harsh - he seems like a really cool dude, actually. I loved Austin's personality. I like contestants who are down to earth and genuinely happy to be there (and who stick around long enough for that to come through), so I liked Julia Collins, Lisa Schlitt, and Alan Lin.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Alex Jacob is the GOAT and played the game the right way.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Gays, girls, then everybody else

And if you keep winning, I’m going to start rooting for your challengers. Runaway games are boring!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Do I have to root for someone? Usually, I just watch hoping for a well-played and competitive game. In the parlance of AP, I like games with three Ferraris much more than ones with three Subarus. That being said, I enjoy seeing people I know playing Jeopardy, but I still enjoy watching legends such as KJ and Brad play, too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am Do I have to root for someone? Usually, I just watch hoping for a well-played and competitive game.
That
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 pm Jboardies first, of course. After that, fat women.
... with the delightful scent of stale herring breath, no doubt.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1d3
Spoiler
Not really...but I'm now considering it as a lark. Mostly I just like a good game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Proper use of the objective case, above all else!
;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm surprised this has never come up before, but if it has, I don't remember it. So my general hierarchy would be:

People I know or know of through other friends
Boardies
Fellow alums
DC area
Interesting/unusual occupation, especially one not generally associated with having high brainpower and/or winning the money would represent a significant percentage of their salary

Unless I have some connection to the champion, I generally root for a challenger. Sorry, but I don't like long streaks unless I really like the contestant.

I like humility (but you are allowed to enjoy it). And I like someone who isn't treating it like they need to win in order to prove something or have the money nor someone who is taking it so seriously they can't have fun.
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

RobW wrote: "Proper use of the objective case, above all else!"

Please diagram the sentence that comprises this thread's caption to show us the correct use of objective case.

Jasper
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

That depends on who I root for. I prefer contestants that are humble in winning and losing, which is why Ken and Julia are two of my most favorite champions besides having a long winning streak. I also root for those that are from my home state of Colorado.
Just a person who loves game shows.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Anybody I know
Boardies
People from Kansas or Missouri
People with blue collar professions
Contestants over the age of 60
I'll generally default to the current champion all other things being equal
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

I root for (in no particular order):
  • Good-looking men, unless the guy is an a** or not deserving of a win
  • I love a strong player and usually root for the reigning champion (unless I don't like that person's personality) - I always hope for a multi-day champ and would love to see someone win 20+ games, again
  • Usually root for the woman
  • Usually root for anyone over 50
  • Always enjoy seeing the non-professional folks do well
  • I always like to see a Jboardie win, but I don't pay much attention to that and am not usually aware when a boardie is on until after the fact, which means I can't root for the boardie until they have won a game
  • If someone is from San Diego that is a plus, but below most of the other items previously mentioned
  • If I'm being perfectly honest a really handsome man trumps just about everything else (shallow, sorry ;) )
---
Conversely :
  • Root against men with unfortunate facial hair - hate hipster beards, most goatees, waxed mustaches, etc.
  • Don't care for bow ties and will usually root against the wearer of a bow tie, all else being equal.
  • Root against anyone who speaks with an affected voice (ex: Vocal Fry or Valley Girl, etc.)
  • Don't like players who exhibit poor sportsmanship
Wpwells wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am Alex Jacob is the GOAT and played the game the right way.
Agree with you re Alex Jacob - one of my favorite players
Oh, and I think I will always root for Ken Jennings to win, unless he is playing Alex Jacob, then I am not sure who I would want to win.
Ken Jennings was the reason I found and joined the original Sony Jeopardy forum boards back in 2004 and I owe him... :-)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am Gays, girls, then everybody else

And if you keep winning, I’m going to start rooting for your challengers. Runaway games are boring!
What would you do if a gay girl went on a long winning streak?
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I tend to root for older contestants, redheads, females, and folks with southern accents. I am a 70-year-old redheaded woman from Oklahoma.

More seriously, though: other than the obvious desire to see expansive trivia knowledge, I like to watch players who have a quirky sense of humor, but who are not the "class clown" type. My favorite champ of all time is Frank Spangenberg. Austin Rogers makes me cringe.

I also root for someone if I know he/she is a member of Mensa (Mensa is probably a granfalloon, but it's one of my pet granfalloons). When I was on the show, Robert James disparaged Mensa during the lunch break, saying something to the effect that "Mensa members don't make good Jeopardy! players." What Robert did not know was that the champion at that time (David Skaar, who won $104,000) is a Mensan.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

irene wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:57 pm
  • Don't care for bow ties and will usually root against the wearer of a bow tie, all else being equal.
This is my acknowledged game show prejudice, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why all the parents who dress their kids for game shows (Whiz Kids Week on Millionaire being the main one) think that the bow tie is the way to go.

I swear this feeling predated the broadcast of Young Sheldon.