What Determines For Whom You Root on Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

I know that many Jeopardy! fans root for particular contestants based on breadth-of-knowledge, betting strategies, the way the contestants play the board (Arthur Chu), etc. What role does appearance, personality, dress, hometown, etc. play? Weigh in please.

Jasper
Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: What Determines For Whom You Root on Jeopardy?

Post by Kenny »

I tend to pull for defending champs just for constancy, unless they happen to be one of those who jumps all over the board from one category to another. That annoys me more than anything else, because it is difficult to follow at home when we can't see the full category on our screens.

Hence a category introduced by AT as "19th-century American history" is hard to remember when the contestant with control of the board 10 minutes later simply says "History for six." Supposedly, jumping around gives an advantage to whoever has control, but I've never seen any proof of this theory.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

If there are any, I root for J!Boardies, LLamas, past contestants on other shows, and also people who show up on the WQC rankings. In general, players who I have heard about of and their excellence in trivia.
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Could be anything given the three that are there on any given day.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Also, I always root for any contestant from my hometown of Austin, like Mary on Wednesday and the legendary Cindy Stowell.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I root for anyone who seems to take trivia and/or quizbowl seriously and isn't just on Jeopardy! for the experience, and anyone from Ohio.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

For me, it's usually Vermont/Massachusetts natives (especially those damn Vermonsters), and folks who simply play the game well. Matt Jackson is my favorite player of all-time, in part because of how much he would dominate games and the no-nonsense attitude he carried. I like competitors who go on the show expecting to win, and there are few who were more competitive than he was.

ETA: Forgot to include boardies too!
Last edited by threearruda on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Jboardies first, of course. After that, fat women.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

anyone not from the coasts (except the Gulf) & anyone not in the usual professions.
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

By BDear: "anyone not from the coasts (except the Gulf) & anyone not in the usual professions."

Interesting that you should mention this. Within the past year, there was a self-described handyman who won a game. Not a lawyer, not a professor, nor a teacher; a handyman. I thought it was GREAT that someone who works with his hands competed successfully.

Jasper
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

If there's a boardie, I root for them. If there's a multi-day champ, I root for them, since I prefer them to a sea of interchangeable one-and-dones (I mean, congrats to anyone who lives the dream and wins, but you become much more interesting after 2-3 days ;) ). Other than that, all I care about is a competitive, entertaining match.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Kenny wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:07 pm I tend to pull for defending champs just for constancy, unless they happen to be one of those who jumps all over the board from one category to another. That annoys me more than anything else, because it is difficult to follow at home when we can't see the full category on our screens.

Hence a category introduced by AT as "19th-century American history" is hard to remember when the contestant with control of the board 10 minutes later simply says "History for six." Supposedly, jumping around gives an advantage to whoever has control, but I've never seen any proof of this theory.
?????

I root for contestants who are prepared both in knowledge base and how to play the game.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I root for those who don’t act like idiots. I root against most who start their sentences with “so...” if someone has an interesting story, I root for them.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

I tend to start rooting against champions once they hit the 5 game mark. They've qualified for the big dance, so let someone else have a crack at it!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I dunno. But I've found myself rooting harder for the big champions that plenty of social media fans just didn't like for some reason. Like Matt Jackson, Colby Burnett, and Arthur Chu. I don't know if Austin Rogers fits into that category but he was one I liked, too.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm I dunno. But I've found myself rooting harder for the big champions that plenty of social media fans just didn't like for some reason. Like Matt Jackson, Colby Burnett, and Arthur Chu. I don't know if Austin Rogers fits into that category but he was one I liked, too.
I remember some people not liking Colby (never bothered me), and Arthur and Austin are obvious. Who the hell was rooting against Matt Jackson, and why!? (I'm going to regret asking)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Of course, boardies first. Then, in no particular order:

Females
Minorities (yeah, this is quasi-racist)
STEM educated or employed
Social Worker, Child Care professionals, or similar underpaid and underappreciated professions
Peace Corps or similar CV
Canadians! (I love them polite neighbors!)

Least fond of (but I will never root against a contestant):
Forrest bouncers
Lawyers - except PD's (sorry, boardies)
Angry white men
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I root for people with fun personalities (such as Austin Rogers) and always more working-class people who could really use the money.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 pm
JayK33 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm I dunno. But I've found myself rooting harder for the big champions that plenty of social media fans just didn't like for some reason. Like Matt Jackson, Colby Burnett, and Arthur Chu. I don't know if Austin Rogers fits into that category but he was one I liked, too.
I remember some people not liking Colby (never bothered me), and Arthur and Austin are obvious. Who the hell was rooting against Matt Jackson, and why!? (I'm going to regret asking)
i despise jackson...the jazz hands crap was the last straw
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

anyone that has a clue about sports above the remedial level...which means i hardly ever root for any contestants