Monday, October 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICA IN THE 1930s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In March 1933 CBS Radio’s Robert Trout said, “The President wants to come into your home…for a little” this

Alan Dunn: 28400+1999=30399 (2x = $51,600)
Sarah Sinclair: 13200+3200=16400
Tosh Sagar: 3000+0=3000

Correct response:
Spoiler
fireside chats

Daily Doubles
Alan 3400-2000
Sarah: 4400+2000
Alan: 15600+2000

Coryats
Alan: 29,600
Sarah: 12000
Tosh: 3000

Combined: 44,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alan: 4800
Sarah: 4000
Tosh: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After the first three clues each player was on the board and I thought it was going to be another close game like the one on Friday. Nope, Alan was more than ready to defend from the champ’s spot.

Sarah had more than one chance to break to lock but between her DD2 wager and the rebound served up on the basketball guys miss, instead it was Alan’s game even before the FJ! clue insured the leader would win.

The Mike Brady stumper on his occupation went right through my heart as I inhaled in shock and I’m sure my BP spiked as I let an expletive fly in plural that covered all three contestants.

Any category run impresses me and nice job by Alan with the $6K in 10-LETTER WORDS even if his 3-syllable pronunciation will have social media lose their minds.
Spoiler
The FJ! category had the typical reaction from Alex, “They’re all too young. They weren’t around.”
The clue got the week off to a good start for players and viewers alike. For any Yahoo (no one in particular) that wants to claim a NHOI look here for the most recent hit:
Spoiler
#7796, aired 2018-07-02 AMERICAN HISTORY $800: On March 12, 1933 FDR warmed America with the first of these informal radio addresses
Sarah got a spoiler-free write-up here: https://www.adn.com/arts/2018/10/13/ala ... day-night/ that I found when trying to discover what she may have written.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Today's game demonstrated my strengths and weaknesses:

DRIVING, 5 Ws IN THE BOOKSTORE, 10-LETTER WORDS, SOCIAL MEDIA ABBREV.-- ran 'em all.

WHICH STAR WARS, A JOB IN TELEVISION, I'M GONNA PRAY ON THIS, OPERA -- all 1/5 or 2/5, with most of my gets in the upper boxes. Though several of the Star Wars responses I would have gotten on the rebound, and I probably shouldn't have clammed on "Attack of the Clones"; it was at worst a coin-flip and there was reason to think it was better than that.

33,600 in total, which I'm certainly happy with as the entertainment categories today were a pretty nightmarish set for me.

Instaget FJ, because c'mon.

Today's stuff to memorize: Emperor Akihito, Caruso, Apollo 12, chimney swift...
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Roost-ers (1), Social Media Abbrev. (2), Which Star Wars? (3), I'm Gonna Pray on This (3), What Had Happened Was (4), "Black" Jeopardy! (3)
The 5 Ws in the Bookstore (5), Islands (5), 10-Letter Words (3), Opera (2), Driving (1), A Job in Television (3)

Lach Trash: Attack of the Clones, Woman Crush Wednesday, architect

Instaget FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice article about Alan getting on J!: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/johns-cr ... TutnqP4iK/
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Can we seriously get some more challenging FJs?
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

34,800 coryat. Instaget final.

ISLANDS $400:
Spoiler
Earth.jpg
Earth.jpg (134.94 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
With its lack of quotation marks/title case, do you think the judges would have accepted "Earth" for this clue? ;)
I would prefer not to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 pm The Mike Brady stumper on his occupation went right through my heart as I inhaled in shock and I’m sure my BP spiked as I let an expletive fly in plural that covered all three contestants.
I came here to see if you'd commented on this, Mark! What's next? Not knowing Ginger Grant was a movie star?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Alan on an impressive second win. Well Dunn.

Did I get FJ? I guess I should have. But I didn't. I haven't heard of "fireside chats". I went with something basic like "talk".

But at least I had the right president in mind for the year given.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 pm ISLANDS $400:
Spoiler
Earth.jpg
With its lack of quotation marks/title case, do you think the judges would have accepted "Earth" for this clue? ;)
Ah, I was totally confused by that clue. "Um, Earth?" was my guess, if I'd guessed, but I was too confused to actually give a response to that one. I'd wondered if I'd misread the clue, but no, turns out I read it exactly as it was.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 pm 34,800 coryat. Instaget final.

ISLANDS $400:
Spoiler
Earth.jpg
Have there been more quality-control issues with clues this season than in the past? Others would know better than I would...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Coffee Club Island does sound pretty rad, though.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,000
40 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Woman Crush Wednesday, architect

Not the set of categories I'd have wanted to see, but Alan certainly did well with them. I'm somewhat relieved that they wasted this gimme of a FJ! on a non-competitive match.

As a big fan of SNL's Black Jeopardy! sketches, I was saddened to hear the contestants repeatedly mangle the "What Had Happened Was" category title.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

NHO a fireside chat. I guessed "sensual backrub".
Spoiler
j/k, this was an instaget, and that was the joke answer I thought of in the 3 seconds I counted off for the "everybody say this really obvious answer at the same time" thing we sometimes do, and which I (almost) always forget to give a joke answer for.
I guessed Woman Crush Wednesday because WECIB, and I got "architect" despite The Brady Bunch's beforemytimeness (does Alex ever say recent things are after certain contestants' times? Because that'd be mean and hilarious). And I ran the Star Wars category like some kind of nerd.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:10 am NHO a fireside chat. I guessed "sensual backrub".
Spoiler
j/k, this was an instaget, and that was the joke answer I thought of in the 3 seconds I counted off for the "everybody say this really obvious answer at the same time" thing we sometimes do, and which I (almost) always forget to give a joke answer for.
I guessed Woman Crush Wednesday because WECIB, and I got "architect" despite The Brady Bunch's beforemytimeness (does Alex ever say recent things are after certain contestants' times? Because that'd be mean and hilarious). And I ran the Star Wars category like some kind of nerd.
But at least one of us actually did get it wrong.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Saturnalia wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:09 pm Today's game demonstrated my strengths and weaknesses:

DRIVING, 5 Ws IN THE BOOKSTORE, 10-LETTER WORDS, SOCIAL MEDIA ABBREV.-- ran 'em all.

WHICH STAR WARS, A JOB IN TELEVISION, I'M GONNA PRAY ON THIS, OPERA -- all 1/5 or 2/5, with most of my gets in the upper boxes. Though several of the Star Wars responses I would have gotten on the rebound, and I probably shouldn't have clammed on "Attack of the Clones"; it was at worst a coin-flip and there was reason to think it was better than that.

33,600 in total, which I'm certainly happy with as the entertainment categories today were a pretty nightmarish set for me.

Instaget FJ, because c'mon.

Today's stuff to memorize: Emperor Akihito, Caruso, Apollo 12, chimney swift...

This game pretty much exposed some of my strong and weak areas as well. Ran the categories in "black" and opera, 0/5 in Star Wars (even though I've seen them, really, who can remember what happened in which?).

2/3 on DDs after stupidly conflating Pete Conrad with Michael Collins, who orbited the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin walked below.

FJ: yeah, really, did ANYONE miss this?

Alan looks solid and is already in the HoF with two strong wins.

Mo-lib-duh-num. Say that ten times really fast. A couple of years ago I read "The Disappearing Spoon," a wonderful little read about the periodic table that's way more interesting than that description probably sounds. Author said people who used to work in a rare molybdenum mine pronounced it "Molly-be-damned." Little inside joke, I suppose, from several thousand feet underground.

And yeah, Capone spent his last years in Alcatraz. But what was his official cause of death?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:38 am Mo-lib-duh-num.
I said molly-buh-duh-enum and I'm counting it, gosh darn it. 100% certain I've never heard it said before.
And yeah, Capone spent his last years in Alcatraz. But what was his official cause of death?
(His last years were in Florida)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Attack of the Clones, (Apollo 12), To the Top, Woman Crush Wednesday, Architect

Ran all categories except Pray, Social Media, TV Jobs, and Driving.
Douglas Squasoni