Tuesday, October 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 30,600
43 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Odyssey (DD)

What might have been for Prairie. She was very good. Alas, missing the "wandered" TOM on DD1 put her in too deep a hole to climb out of.

I should recognize Clyde Tombaugh's name by now, particularly given that I learned earlier this year that he's Clayton Kershaw's great-uncle. Instead, I had to go the "underworld" route and hope for the best.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am What might have been for Prairie. She was very good. Alas, missing the "wandered" TOM on DD1 put her in too deep a hole to climb out of.
And besides "wandered," there was also the word "muse" (to guide one towards Greek epics). (And then the DJ round put salt in the wound by explicitly asking about a Greek muse.)
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Plactus wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:01 pm I quickly went to the right area of the solar system, but decided "carried... to the underworld" sounded more appropriate for Charon. Ah, well.
Count another for Charon...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

lisa0012 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm
Kenny wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm Guessed Mars, because I know it has several named features. I thought Pluto was booted out of the solar system about 10 years ago.
Status was demoted (and maybe reinstated?). Location hasn't changed.
Well, actually it has continued on along its orbit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I can't even keep Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune straight, so Pluto wasn't even on my radar.

Not the first time that's happened, either. (According to the weekly poll, I was literally the only one who missed that clue.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:06 am
lisa0012 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm
Kenny wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 pm Guessed Mars, because I know it has several named features. I thought Pluto was booted out of the solar system about 10 years ago.
Status was demoted (and maybe reinstated?). Location hasn't changed.
Well, actually it has continued on along its orbit.
Einstein would tell us that Pluto's position would depend on one's frame of reference. If you're a Plutonian saying that its location hasn't changed may be valid. :)
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am Tombaugh meant nothing to me. The clue initially left me blank; I was trying to connect something in the solar system to Norse mythology and kept coming up empty. First wrote down "moon" just to have something and then at the last possible moment said "aw, heck" and shifted gears correctly on the basis of "underworld." I'll take it. Not a good Coryat today, though, with particularly bad neg on the city Lewis and Clark left from.
My gut reaction was Pluto, but then I thought that the reference to Odin might have been pointing to another king of the gods, so I went with Jupiter. :(
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am What might have been for Prairie. She was very good. Alas, missing the "wandered" TOM on DD1 put her in too deep a hole to climb out of.
But boy did she make an awesome attempt! That almost-comeback was thrilling to watch. And I was definitely on her side from the moment she pushed all $6k to the center of the table. That was absolutely the right move against a juggernaut like Alan Dunn. She can hold her head up high that at least she made the man sweat. Alan's a great player.

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 am I should recognize Clyde Tombaugh's name by now, particularly given that I learned earlier this year that he's Clayton Kershaw's great-uncle. Instead, I had to go the "underworld" route and hope for the best.
Tombaugh didn't even ring a faint bell. (Which is sad because the man has TOM right there in his name!) Kudos to those who got it off that alone. I'll be checking the box that says I got this clue off the underworld TOM.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Scores at the end of the first round made me wonder how much of a rout this was going to be for Alan. I was astonished to see both of the new contestants make a game of it. Good for them.

And Alan....you go, guy! Really nice run going on here.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

32,600 coryat. Ran Sports Stars, 1800s/Today's Tech, and Final Film Role.

Prairie's gutsy all in on DD1 had me rooting for her to rebound. Leaving the literature and film categories for last in DJ! had me mildly rooting against all three players.

This final is an example of a type of trivia question I really hate, the High/Low. Lower-level knowledge lead me to "Underworld" = Pluto. Middle-level knowledge lead me further to "carried...to the Underworld" = Charon and I lacked the higher-level knowledge of "Tombaugh Regio" = Pluto to pull me back. :evil:
I would prefer not to.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I couldn't make any connections from anything in the clue to "Pluto", so I just went with the moon. Not even Pluto's moon. Ours.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If the show ever had the hypothetical "Best Players To Lose Their First Game" tournament Prairie Rose would be on the short list.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (The Odyssey), (Thermography), The Iceman, Philip Seymour Hoffman

Pre-called Capoeira as Prairie Rose's martial art. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral (3), Ends in an F Sound (1), Really Big Sports Stars (5), War Fare (4), Emilys (3), List (2)
1800s America Today's Technology (4), Dictionary (2), Biblically Inspired Literature (3), Conquered After Everest (4), Anthropology (3), Final Film (4)

No Lach Trash; Daily Double: The Odyssey

I thought of Mars first because of Phobos and Deimos, then changed it to Mercury thinking of Hermes and messengers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request for "Red sorrel".