Wednesday, October 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Kenny »

I hate it when AT says things like, "Are you sure you wouldn't like to go to a different category after three straight TS's on "band books." I was 3/3 and hoping to run the category.

Sure enough Julie switched over, and none of them went back to "Band Books" until it had the only two clues remaining. Like Julie, I got the Eagles for a 4/4 finish but would've loved to see that bottom box.

Initially thought Julie had simply abbreviated her FJ response to "St. Petersbg" while low on time. I see I'm the screen grab above that it was an unacceptable partial response. SP was the only large northern city I could think of that changed its name 3 times in the 20th century.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Well that was a shitshow. Easy FJ. Singapore for Java?? On to watch Survivor. And Leningrad wasn’t a seige city; that was Stalingrad, much to the south.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 am Well that was a shitshow. Easy FJ. Singapore for Java?? On to watch Survivor. And Leningrad wasn’t a seige city; that was Stalingrad, much to the south.
*cough* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Leningrad
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

On Colonial for $400, I said "Marry" for the amount of land or livestock a man needed to do something. I knew only property owning males could vote in Colonial America but never realized states had placed such specific strictures on it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Since I know there are other TMBG fans here: the first time I saw They Might Be Giants live, in 1992 in St. Petersburg, Florida, Linnell deadpanned at one point, "The last time we were here, it was called Leningrad, so we're happy about all the changes that have taken place."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 am Since I know there are other TMBG fans here: the first time I saw They Might Be Giants live, in 1992 in St. Petersburg, Florida, Linnell deadpanned at one point, "The last time we were here, it was called Leningrad, so we're happy about all the changes that have taken place."
Please tell me that TMBG has performed in Istanbul (not Constantinople) at least once...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ the second he said 1703, thanks to the FJ from this game (strange, the clues I can immediately recall and which ones I forget). If forced to give all of the names I think I would've said Leningrad and not Stalingrad, but I'm glad I didn't have to.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,000
44 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: a capella, Mötley Crüe, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Silvio Berlusconi, Australia, The Dutch, Elizabeth Gilbert

These folks were not fans of the rock and roll music.

For FJ!, I briefly considered Oslo, but I knew that its last name change came in the 1920s. From there I shifted to St. Petersburg. My only concern was whether it was far enough north, but I couldn't think of any other major world city that had gone more than one recent name change.

DD2 was a joke. "Name the extremely hot, ionized state of matter" belongs in the top row, not the bottom one.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Pre-1914: St. Petersburg
1914: St. Petersburg -> Petrograd
1924: Petrograd -> Leningrad
1991: Leningrad -> St. Petersburg
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 pm So would Leningrad be counted wrong?
I wondered the same, because that's also what my hypothetical light pen would've written down...
Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 pm Like Julie, I got the Eagles for a 4/4 finish but would've loved to see that bottom box.
My guess would be a clue about Duff's excellent (seriously!) autobiography.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Another nice game for the champ, who seems on the way to topping $100K and securing a berth in the ToC. I'd take that any day. Congrats, Alan!

Typical for me: ran the category in "NV" and 0-for-5 in books about bands (no, still know nothing about rock music).

LT: a capella and babushka, nothing else.

Julie's intro said she is a "virtual assistant," but she looked real enough to me. Go figure.

I actually recall reading a biography of Peter the Great, who was Czar at the time of the founding of St. Petersburg. That plus the "name changes" led me quickly to a correct FJ answer.

Wonder what Julie's final answer would have looked like if she had time to finish writing. Looks as if she was about to misspell the city, which might very well have caused the judges to rule against her.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

RobW wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 pm So would Leningrad be counted wrong?
I wondered the same, because that's also what my hypothetical light pen would've written down...
I was going to say that I don't think I'd have accepted it, just because Leningrad was never a city of more than 5 million, but it appears that it hit 5 million just before the name change. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... Petersburg
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If they had asked for the current name of Stalingrad I would not have known it.
davey

Post by davey »

dinghammer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm I was half expecting FJ to be about Singapore, possibly with "This island city-state, which definitely isn't part of Indonesia" in the clue.

On my way to the right answer, I thought of Oslo, but I knew its name had only changed once in the 20th century and that its population isn't close to 5 million. What I didn't know until looking it up just now is that it's at almost exactly the same latitude as St. Petersburg.
Very interesting facts, 2 of which would definitely have led me away from Oslo if I'd known them, but the latitude thing gives me a little consolation.... :oops: Name change made Christiania-Oslo pop into mind and it was only at about :33 or 4 that I suddenly realized which way I should have gone...I'll say I was wrongly fixed on capitals......:roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Saturnalia wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:43 am
RobW wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am
I was going to say that I don't think I'd have accepted it, just because Leningrad was never a city of more than 5 million, but it appears that it hit 5 million just before the name change. So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... Petersburg
So I am at the mercy of the esteemed Mark Barrett and Umpire Joe West whether this response (Leningrad) will count and keep my hopes alive for my first Box of Glory! :lol: Roll the tape!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Here we go!
55 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: A Capella, Babushka, 1914, (Scotland), Argonne, April, As You Like It, Transmutation, Motley Crew, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Silvio Berlusconi, Australia, Glenda Jackson, Java, Dutch, Elizabeth Gilbert

Only misses today were Cruller, John Brown's Body and The Eagles.

Probably would have gotten the remaining clue in Folger Library.
Douglas Squasoni
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:44 pm So I am at the mercy of the esteemed Mark Barrett and Umpire Joe West whether this response (Leningrad) will count and keep my hopes alive for my first Box of Glory! :lol: Roll the tape!
Can't speak for Mark, but Cowboy Joe thinks you're OK :lol: :
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

31,000 coryat. Instaget final off all of the provided info.

More arts categories going unfinished. :roll:
I would prefer not to.