FJs for the 10/15/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/15/18 week

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:50 pm

In March 1933 CBS Radio's Robert Trout said, "The president wants to come into your home... for a little" this
98%
Features on this body include Tombaugh Regio & Sleipnir Fossa, named for a horse that carried Odin to the underworld
67%
The northernmost city with a population over 5 million, it was founded in 1703 & its name was changed 3 times in the 20th century
88%
This winged character from an early 20th century work is so named “because she mends the pots and kettles”
73%
A low center of gravity is a key to success in this sport with moves including gaburi-yori & uwate-dashinage
85%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
46%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
ANIMAL, VEGETABLE OR MINERAL $200: Red sorrel
47%
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES $1000: Russian: "Grandmother"
68%
ONE-LETTER RESPONSES $1200: Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time includes 2 by this L.A. punk quartet
33%
Charon was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
5%
"Tombaugh" was more helpful to me than "underworld" in solving the Tuesday FJ! clue.
36%
"Underworld" was more helpful to me than "Tombaugh" in solving the Tuesday FJ! clue.
18%
Leningrad or Petrograd was my "correct enough for this poll" response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
From THE L YOU DON'T SAY: calf, salmon, balm, caulk, chalk - I do pronounce the L in at least one of those.
67%
I have purchased or will purchase a Mega Millions and/or Powerball ticket in October 2018.
36%

Total votes: 122

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/15/18 week

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Tombaugh and underworld were equally helpful. Peter Pan is supercanonical, so I got to Tinker Bell very quickly. I didn't know she was two words, but I think I knew there is no "e" at the end.

I knew Little Sorrel was Stonewall Jackson's favorite mount. I guessed it referred to his color, and plants seemed the likeliest source for a color name; a la "chestnut". Anyway, there were only three possibilities. Better odds than the lottery. I might have gone for a dollar ticket, but two dollars you can rub together.

NHOX.

I checked "sound the l in none" but I may give balm (and calm) just the hint of one. Certainly I don't sound it as "bomb". More like "Baum", if we're not trying to sound German. And not in calf or calves, but probably in calving. I guess I'd know better if I farmed more, or exercised.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 pm Under 50%, and there's a valid argument for more than one correct response. Yeah, I think the writers screwed the pooch on that $200 box.
Close to 50% on a one in three guess doesn't seem that bad to me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As I said in the game thread, "underworld" got me to the right answer on Tuesday at the last second. That was the only FJ clue this week that posed a challenge.

Red Sorrel did seem quite tough for the top box, but of course I'd say that, as someone who missed it.

I add the hint of an "L"-sound to "balm" and "caulk," and I am surprised to learn that some people don't do so.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I think this may the first time I've had two perfect FJ weeks in a row since I joined the board. My nemesis of pop music struck again to keep my from going eight-for-eight.

Guess I had never really thought too much about my pronunciation of "silent Ls" before this week. In the pronunciation I learend, "chalk" rhymes with "chock," but "caulk" and "balm" don't rhyme with "clock" and "bomb." The L isn't specifically voiced, but instead has a back-of-the-throat inflection that makes "caulk" rhyme with "hawk" instead of "clock." Wonder if a big regional difference will show up in the poll.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't play the lottery, but I have sold many, many, many Mega Millions and Powerball tickets the last couple of days. One of my customers bought me a Mega Millions ticket last night, though.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

Count me in on the judo guessers.

Shocked at the TS to babushka.

As for the Powerball and Mega Millions drawings, pot odds say you should play when the prize hits $650 million.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Would've gotten Pluto either way.
I say the L in balm, caulk, and chalk.
Didn't buy a ticket (the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math ;))
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am
Agree 100% - I don't think our Governments should be in the business of robbing citizens. Leave that to private enterprise - but tax it and regulate it.

I assumed the expected value goes positive with jumbo jackpots, but maybe not:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mega-mi ... et-2018-10

I disagree with the tax assumptions, but this drawing may be at least an even break. Buy a dream for 2 bucks and enjoy the wait :).
I bought tickets for all my co-workers the first time when it hit a billion. Just to say I gave them all a billion dollars. The novelty is gone now, I'll wait for the 1 trillion dollar level now. :lol:

The REALLY bad mathematicians - those silly people who "pool" tickets when they otherwise wouldn't play alone for 50 million.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm The REALLY bad mathematicians - those silly people who "pool" tickets when they otherwise wouldn't play alone for 50 million.
I must disagree. There's a substantial difference between having 1 chance to win $50 million and 10 chances to win 1/10 of $500 million. Pooling is definitely the way to go on large payouts, especially given the very, very long odds.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Spum wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 pm
As for the Powerball and Mega Millions drawings, pot odds say you should play when the prize hits $650 million.
The "raw" odds, perhaps, though my hunch is that factoring in the probability of multiple winners splitting the pot would reduce the expected value to the point where it would still be a negative return.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm
I must disagree. There's a substantial difference between having 1 chance to win $50 million and 10 chances to win 1/10 of $500 million. Pooling is definitely the way to go on large payouts, especially given the very, very long odds.
Or be selfish and just buy ten tickets just for yourself. As long as you don't do what my aunt did.

The lottery hit a big number several years ago and my aunt and uncle decided to make a rare purchase. My uncle suggested ten tickets, one with "meaningful" numbers like children's ages and so on. He told my aunt to "let the computer pick the other nine."

Guess he wasn't clear enough -- he and my aunt selected the specific numbers for the one ticket, then my aunt went to the convenience store and bought ten tickets. All of them with those numbers.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

First time in awhile getting all 5 - Tinkerbell and St. Petersburg were sort of wild educated guesses.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm
Wpwells wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am
Agree 100% - I don't think our Governments should be in the business of robbing citizens. Leave that to private enterprise - but tax it and regulate it.

I assumed the expected value goes positive with jumbo jackpots, but maybe not:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mega-mi ... et-2018-10
The only way to win at the Lottery is to beat them at their own game, but after this, Virginia, and I bet everyone else, got wise...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... d6590dc70/
That means the bold gamble by the group -- which includes about 2,500 investors -- to buy out the record Feb. 15 drawing has paid off, even though the syndicate fell short of purchasing all 7 million possible ticket combinations.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :?:*
*spoiled

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm
That is an actuarial edge to the pool I hadn't thought of. It's still 10 chances to lose 10 bucks to me, lol.. I haven't tried to keep up with the amount that the risk inverts. I think the article I linked was not completely objective.
The states got their money in the earlier rounds so they are already paid. To me, the danger of the pools is for normal people to think of this as an "investment".
AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:04 pm Or be selfish and just buy ten tickets just for yourself. As long as you don't do what my aunt did.

Guess he wasn't clear enough -- he and my aunt selected the specific numbers for the one ticket, then my aunt went to the convenience store and bought ten tickets. All of them with those numbers.
That is funny. but at most it was a nine dollar mistake. That's a good price for a cute story :). Think about if they'd won on it and some hapless bloke got a 1/11th payout on the same numbers.

This topic reminds me of a article I read a while back about not playing certain digits matching dates up to 31 and some other common non-random combinations due to reduced payouts from multiple winners.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:56 pm This topic reminds me of a article I read a while back about not playing certain digits matching dates up to 31 and some other common non-random combinations due to reduced payouts from multiple winners.
I remember years ago when the FL lottery first broke $100M, they said that the most commonly picked combo was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

A visit to the Lowell Observatory in AZ helped me.
OCSam