TD 400 - RR (Final results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 400 - RR (Q1-Q5 revealed)

Post by CasketRomance »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:36 am I would have sworn that someone would incorrectly guess Cleveland on Q3.
i was thinking that as well
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:05 am Dang...I was hoping to sneak off with a low score with a recent Big Ten addition and bottom-feeder...no dice there.
both recent adds were the top chosen...i keep forgetting that this board isn't as sports ignorant as the contestants on the show
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:15 am
SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:05 am Dang...I was hoping to sneak off with a low score with a recent Big Ten addition and bottom-feeder...no dice there.
It doesn't help that they've been in the news for the wrong reasons recently. I know the most recent stories were from after this TD closed, but I think they're in a lot of people's minds right now.

(I say this knowing I tried the same thought process and also got burned.)
what is the most recent story?
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm
It doesn't help that they've been in the news for the wrong reasons recently. I know the most recent stories were from after this TD closed, but I think they're in a lot of people's minds right now.

Maybe “update” would have been better word. It seemed like Durkin/Loh stories exploded back in the news within the last two days.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

spell4yr wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm

yeah i see dude was fired...i had just woke up when i read your post and hadn't seen the news about the dude being sacked

Maybe “update” would have been better word. It seemed like Durkin/Loh stories exploded back in the news within the last two days.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Re: TD 400 - RR (Q6-Q8 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

6. SHC (389) - Answer one of these clues that refer to responses that have been sheep multiple times in my TDs

Co-producer and star of HBO drama Big Little Lies whose birth name is Laura Jeanne [Reese Witherspoon]
A poem by William Ross Wallace that praises motherhood inspired this 1992 movie [The Hand that Rocks the Cradle]
Word that follows Dani in the title of a 2006 Red Hot Chili Peppers song [California]
1977 Emmy award winner who was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar in the 1985 film Murphy's Romance [James Garner]
This school's football and men's basketball teams both lost national championship games to Florida in 2007 [Ohio State]
Twenty-nine countries, mostly African, boycotted the Summer Olympic games that were held in this city [Montreal]
Composer of the soundtrack to the 1984 film The Woman in Red who won an Oscar for Best Original Song [Stevie Wonder]
People whose job is to make beer [Brewers]
The eagle's name on The Muppet Show [Sam]

The two-time 2007 title tilt loser is now a three-time sheep…

Ohio State (SHEEP) - 9
Rackme32
badgerfellow
saturnalia
classicroadster
SenseiCAY
threearruda
econgator
guessonguessonguess
Wpwells

Sam - 7
MarkBarrett
Troydozzy
mennoknight
Ironhorse
AFRET CMS
spell4yr
RJRouge

Stevie Wonder - 4
floridagator
casketromance
xxaaaxx
heppm01

California - 3
Tybalteon
Gamawire
Woof

Brewers - 3
Peachbox
NoWhammies10
merica

SINGLETONS - 1

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle
9021amyers

James Garner
clprez

Montreal
CheezeWhiz

NOT USED
Reese Witherspoon

DROP = 0
psgola
Anachronism

WRONG ANSWER = 12
twelvefootboy (Mexico City)

7. Road Trip (390) - Answer one of these clues about places my family has traveled on our various vacations.

2009: This large shopping center where a seat once hit by a Harmon Killebrew home run ball is mounted over the log ride [Mall of America]
2010: Rosenblatt Stadium in this city that is the long-time home of the College World Series [Omaha]
2011: The World's Largest Baseball Bat outside this museum and factory located in an Ohio River city [Louisville Slugger]
2012: This "gateway" city - where admission to the zoo is free [St. Louis]
2013: This locale where four famous faces are carved into Black Hills granite [Mt. Rushmore]
2014: The Hall of Fame for this sport in a city about 60 miles south of Cleveland [Football]
2015: This national park in Utah featuring sites such as Balanced Rock and a "delicate" namesake that is a symbol of the state [Arches]
2016: This natural wonder that we looked at from two countries and on the Maid of the Mist boat [Niagara Falls]
2017: This Mountain West Conference campus that is home to the highest Division I football stadium at 7,200 feet above sea level [U. of Wyoming]

The wool is wet…

Niagara Falls (SHEEP) - 7
Tybalteon
psgola
twelvefootboy
NoWhammies10
merica
RJRouge
econgator

Omaha - 6
Rackme32
SenseiCAY
clprez
threearruda
xxaaaxx
Wpwells

Mall of America - 5
floridagator
Troydozzy
mennoknight
spell4yr
Gamawire

U. of Wyoming - 5
casketromance
AFRET CMS
Anachronism
9021amyers
guessonguessonguess

Louisville Slugger - 3
badgerfellow
Peachbox
Woof

St. Louis - 2
MarkBarrett
Ironhorse

SINGLETONS - 1

Mt. Rushmore
heppm01

Football
saturnalia

Arches
CheezeWhiz

DROP = 0
classicroadster

8. Game Time (391) - Balderdash is a game where players try to define a given word (or supply a convincing "fake" definition). Name one of these games that is described in other words.

A heavy warship with extensive armor and large-caliber guns [Battleship]
Something that helps solve a mystery or one of sixty-one (when all are revealed) on Jeopardy! [Clue]
The bony enclosure for the brain [Cranium]
Exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply or concerted action [Monopoly]
Device primarily used to catch (and usually kill) small rodents who are partial to cheese [Mouse Trap]
A procedure performed on a body, usually with instruments and especially for repair of damage or restoration of health [Operation]
Occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population [Pandemic]
Possibility of loss or injury [Risk / *Jeopardy!] (*Accepted the latter as I neglected to indicate "board" game.)
Feeling regret or penitence; inspiring pity, scorn or ridicule [Sorry]
Forbidden to use or contact because of what are held to be dangerous supernatural powers [Taboo]
A tornado [Twister]

Two tie at the top and a pair at the bottom are shut out…

Battleship (Co-SHEEP) - 6
Troydozzy
twelvefootboy
Peachbox
Gamawire
econgator
heppm01

Cranium (Co-SHEEP) - 6
floridagator
mennoknight
NoWhammies10
Anachronism
xxaaaxx
Wpwells

Clue - 4
Tybalteon
saturnalia
classicroadster
threearruda

Pandemic - 4
spell4yr
SenseiCAY
RJRouge
CheezeWhiz

Taboo - 3
AFRET CMS
Woof
9021amyers

Twister - 3
Rackme32
psgola
clprez

Sorry - 2
MarkBarrett
merica

SINGLETONS - 1

Jeopardy!
Ironhorse

Operation
casketromance

Risk
badgerfellow

NOT USED
Monopoly
Mouse Trap

DROP = 0
guessonguessonguess

STANDINGS AFTER Q8
1. CheezeWhiz - 17
2. 9021amyers - 22
3. MarkBarrett - 24
4. casketromance - 26
5. Peachbox - 27
6. guessonguessonguess - 28
6. psgola - 28
8. Troydozzy - 29
9. Tybalteon - 31
9. Anachronism - 31
9. Ironhorse - 31
12. badgerfellow - 32
13. heppm01 - 33
13. Woof - 33
15. AFRET CMS - 34
15. Gamawire - 34
15. clprez - 34
18. SenseiCAY - 35
18. NoWhammies10 - 35
18. merica - 35
21. RJRouge - 36
21. saturnalia - 36
23. Rackme32 - 37
23. xxaaaxx - 37
23. floridagator - 27
26. econgator - 39
26. classicroadster - 39
28. spell4yr - 41
29. Wpwells - 43
30. mennoknight - 45
31. threearruda - 46
32. twelvefootboy - 47
RJRouge

Re: TD 400 - RR (Q1-Q8 revealed)

Post by RJRouge »

I seem to have gotten considerably worse at this after I started actually using gamesmanship instead of just answering what I consider to be the most obscure answer I can.
9021amyers

Re: TD 400 - RR (Q1-Q8 revealed)

Post by 9021amyers »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:03 pm I seem to have gotten considerably worse at this after I started actually using gamesmanship instead of just answering what I consider to be the most obscure answer I can.
Oh, I definitely score better when I either respond right away, or don’t even click on the game thread until the night before it closes. When I read the questions, then come back to them a few days later, I suck.
clt013

Re: TD 400 - RR (Q9-Q11 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

9. ABC (393) - These clues lead to answers that begin with odd-numbered letters (A, C, E, G, I, K, M, O, Q, S, U, W, Y). Name one of them.

Say "Hello" to this artist whose first three album titles total 65 (5) [Adele]
Grammy award-winning artist known for "Fantastic Voyage" and "Gangsta's Paradise" (6) [Coolio]
Irish artist whose biggest hit was "Orinoco Flow" (4) [Enya]
Now a pastor, in 1991 he had the top 10 hit "Rico Suave" (7) [Gerardo]
Wilson Phillips reached #4 on the chart with this song title that can be defined as "acting or done without forethought" (9) [Impulsive]
Singer known for "Tik Tok" and a legal dispute with a former producer (5) [Ke$ha]
Kids Incorporated actress/singer who hit #1 with "Toy Soldiers" in 1989 (7) [Martika]
Andre 3000 and Big Boi compose this group known for "Hey Ya!" (7) [Outkast]
Band known for 1990 song "Silent Lucidity" (11) [Queensryche]
This Tejano singer's posthumously released album Dreaming of You debuted atop the charts (6) [Selena]
Singer/songwriter with hits such as "Nice & Slow" & "Yeah!" who has been a coach on The Voice (5) [Usher]
This Rivers Cuomo group sang about Buddy Holly and Mary Tyler Moore (6) [Weezer]
Greek composer, keyboardist and music producer known for concert video Live at the Acropolis (5) [Yanni]

Ten answers used between 2 and 5 times, while nobody says "Hello" to the 'A' answer (or two others)…

Ke$ha (SHEEP) - 5
AFRET CMS
saturnalia
NoWhammies10
CheezeWhiz
guessonguessonguess

Enya - 4
Rackme32
Troydozzy
clprez
Wpwells

Gerardo - 3
merica
RJRouge
xxaaaxx

Outkast - 3
Peachbox
classicroadster
Woof

Queensryche - 3
Ironhorse
Anachronism
Gamawire

Weezer - 3
badgerfellow
spell4yr
heppm01

Impulsive - 2
floridagator
casketromance

Martika - 2
mennoknight
9021amyers

Selena - 2
Tybalteon
threearruda

Usher - 2
psgola
SenseiCAY

NOT USED
Adele
Coolio
Yanni

DROP = 0
MarkBarrett
econgator

SHEEP = 5
twelvefootboy

10. ABC pt 2 - These clues lead to answers that begin with even-numbered letters (B, D, F, H, J, L, N, P, R, T, V, X, Z). Name one of them.

He's a loser, baby, so why don't you just kill him? (4) [Beck]
There will be no "White Flag" above this singer's door, thank you (4) [Dido]
This Austrian reached the top of the charts in 1986 with a song about Mozart (5) [Falco]
This singer with the birth name of Ashley is "Bad at Love" (6) [Halsey]
Group that "Faithfully" said "I'll Be Alright Without You" (7) [Journey]
Grammy-winning rapper from Atlanta who also played Tej Parker in The Fast and the Furious film series (8) [Ludacris]
Artist from St. Louis who had #1 hits with "Hot in Herre" and "Dilemma" (5) [Nelly]
Both Bell Biv Devoe and Alice Cooper had hits with this "toxic" title (6) [Poison]
This singer of "Umbrella" and "SOS" also starred in the movie Battleship (7) [Rihanna]
Indonesian-born Dutch singer who was "Puttin' On the Ritz" with a 1982 remake (4) [Taco]
Academy Award winning composer of the theme to Chariots of Fire (8) [Vangelis]
Rapper and host of MTV's Pimp My Ride (6) [Xzibit]
Russian-German record producer of songs such as "Stay" [2017] and "The Middle" [2018] (4) [Zedd]

"X" marks the sheep…

Xzibit (SHEEP) - 6
Tybalteon
classicroadster
spell4yr
SenseiCAY
9021amyers
xxaaaxx

Taco - 5
floridagator
Troydozzy
mennoknight
saturnalia
RJRouge

Falco - 4
Ironhorse
Peachbox
clprez
Woof

Halsey - 3
MarkBarrett
Gamawire
CheezeWhiz

Poison - 3
casketromance
merica
heppm01

Beck - 2
econgator
guessonguessonguess

Dido - 2
NoWhammies10
Anachronism

Nelly - 2
badgerfellow
Wpwells

Vangelis - 2
Rackme32
psgola

Zedd (SINGLETON!) - 1
threearruda

NOT USED
Journey
Ludacris
Rihanna

DROP = 0
AFRET CMS

WRONG ANSWER = 10
twelvefootboy (Williams)

11. Simply Sports (397) - Name any city to have hosted WrestleMania. [Note: Multiple answers will be scored together for some metro areas.]

The smallest sheep (although there are two of them) of the quiz…

Rosemont [Chicago] (2, 13, 22) {Co-SHEEP} - 3
twelvefootboy
spell4yr
9021amyers

Detroit (23) {Co-SHEEP} - 3
mennoknight
Ironhorse
merica

Atlantic City (IV, V) - 2
psgola
RJRouge

Toronto (VI, X8) - 2
NoWhammies10
CheezeWhiz

Paradise [Las Vegas] (IX) - 2
Troydozzy
saturnalia

Atlanta (XXVII) - 2
Rackme32
Woof

Miami Gardens [Miami] (XXVIII) - 2
Tybalteon
badgerfellow

SINGLETONS - 1

New York (I, X, XX)
AFRET CMS

Pontiac (III)
Anachronism

Anaheim (XII, 2000)
MarkBarrett

Houston (X-Seven, XXV)
SenseiCAY

Orlando (XXIV, 33)
econgator

Santa Clara (31)
casketromance

Arlington [Dallas] (32)
guessonguessonguess

NOT USED
Uniondale (2)
Los Angeles (2, VII, 21)
Indianapolis (VIII)
Hartford (XI)
Boston (XIV)
Philadelphia (XV)
Seattle (XIX)
Glendale (XXVI)
East Rutherford (29)
New Orleans (XXX, 34)

DROP = 0
floridagator
clprez
threearruda
xxaaaxx
heppm01
Wpwells

SHEEP = 3
classicroadster

WRONG ANSWERS = 10
Peachbox (London)
Gamawire (San Antonio)

STANDINGS AFTER Q11
1. CheezeWhiz - 27
2. MarkBarrett - 28
3. casketromance - 32
4. 9021amyers - 33
5. psgola - 34
6. guessonguessonguess - 36
7. Anachronism - 37
8. badgerfellow - 39
8. heppm01 - 39
10. Troydozzy - 40
10. AFRET CMS - 40
12. Tybalteon - 41
12. Ironhorse - 41
14. Woof - 42
14. clprez - 42
14. econgator - 42
17. Peachbox - 44
17. SenseiCAY - 44
17. NoWhammies10 - 44
17. merica - 44
17. floridagator - 44
22. Rackme32 - 45
23. RJRouge - 46
23. xxaaaxx - 46
25. saturnalia - 48
26. Wpwells - 49
26. threearruda - 49
28. Gamawire - 50
29. classicroadster - 51
30. spell4yr - 53
31. mennoknight - 55
32. twelvefootboy - 65
Last edited by clt013 on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 400 - RR (Q1-Q11 revealed)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Definitely WAGged Houston on that one.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Who said Chicago, and who said Rosemont?

Bill Wirtz (the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks) was a notorious cheapskate who never allowed boxing or wrestling cards at Chicago Stadium, and later the United Center, so I knew all of WWE’s shows in Chicago are actually held at the arena in Rosemont. It only makes sense that Wrestlemania would be held at the promotion’s home venue in a huge market.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I would also suggest that if Rosemont and Chicago are considered the same answer, then so too should Pontiac and Detroit be.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Here's my reasoning behind including "[Note: Multiple answers will be scored together for some metro areas.]":

I am not in the business of creating intentional "negbait", so determined that I was going to accept Miami and Las Vegas as correct (although technically the venues are in Miami Gardens and Paradise, respectively). I also would have counted Dallas (had I received that response) with Arlington. I did not lump together Pontiac and Detroit (or New York + Uniondale and East Rutherford or Los Angeles + Anaheim) because there are venues in each of those locations that have hosted. Had the United Center hosted in addition to the arena in Rosemont, then I would have split the Chicago metro area as well and not combined the two answers.

I could have added a phrase to indicate that "metro areas with host venues in multiple cities will be scored separately" but did not do so in an effort to keep the wording simple. My apologies to those who received an extra point or two due to this ruling and I hope you will play again in the future.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

RJRouge wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:02 pm I would also suggest that if Rosemont and Chicago are considered the same answer, then so too should Pontiac and Detroit be.
I wondered about that. If there's one answer I could have made (I would have dropped the question otherwise), it was Pontiac. The local ads for that Wrestlemania were everywhere and that was while I was in college. I was about as likely to go to it as fly to the moon, but it was in the popular culture back then. The Silverdome housed the Lions and that was a big deal since it's a good distance from Detroit (25-30 miles). But what constitutes the metro area of a major city? I see Detroit hosted at the newer Ford Field as well. I had no idea.

Hopefully this metro area argument doesn't end up deciding anything, because the bonus was so far up my alley it almost seems unfair (given my job, I know all 130 FBS schools quite well, including the transition school, which I didn't use because I didn't want to ask in public if it counted. Not that anyone would care, it would be just be showing off at that point).
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 am Who said Chicago, and who said Rosemont?

Bill Wirtz (the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks) was a notorious cheapskate who never allowed boxing or wrestling cards at Chicago Stadium, and later the United Center, so I knew all of WWE’s shows in Chicago are actually held at the arena in Rosemont. It only makes sense that Wrestlemania would be held at the promotion’s home venue in a huge market.
I said Chicago mainly because I had no idea where Wrestlemania had been held, but I assumed it would have been held at some point in the Chicago metro area somewhere, though I wouldn't have been able to guess whether Chicago proper, Rosemont, Hoffman Estates, Evanston, etc. etc.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of the dude who was sheep in question 10
clt013

Re: TD 400 - RR (Final results)

Post by clt013 »

12. (BONUS #1) - 11 2-part clues related to the number 22 (since this is the 22nd TD I have hosted) follow. Receive a bonus of -2 for submitting the correct pair of answers to one of them. However, the most popular ("sheep") pair will be worth 0.

A. Interstate 22 can be found in these two states
B. The Games of the XXII Olympiad and XXII Olympic Winter Games were hosted by these two cities
C. The 2013 song "22" peaked at #20 on the charts. Name the artist and album.
D. Actress Abigail Breslin turned 22 this year. For what film did she receive an Oscar nomination and on what Fox TV horror-comedy did she star?
E. Grover Cleveland became the 22nd US president in 1885. Which men held that office on either side of his first term?
F. The 264th Pope was inaugurated on October 22, 1978. What name did he take and what was his nationality?
G. Give the names of the main character and the author of the novel Catch-22.
H. Give the name and symbol for element 22 - a silver colored transition metal with low density and high strength.
I. What letter is #22 when reciting the English alphabet forwards and which one is #22 when reciting it backwards?
J. Name the city that hosted Super Bowl XXII and the cult classic movie about murderous red food that has a climactic scene in the same stadium.
K. The #22 is retired only by one team each in MLB and the NHL. What Orioles pitcher and Islanders forward received this honor?

From the least attempted to the most…

K. Jim Palmer, Mike Bossy (Not attempted = 0/0)

E. Chester Arthur, Benjamin Harrison (1/1) = -2
saturnalia

I. V, E (1/1) = -2
psgola

J. San Diego, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1/1) = -2
9021amyers

A. Alabama, Mississippi (2/2) = -2
floridagator
spell4yr

D. Little Miss Sunshine, Scream Queens (2/2) = -2
badgerfellow
mennoknight

C. Taylor Swift, Red (3/3) = -2
Tybalteon
threearruda
guessonguessonguess

B. Moscow, Sochi (3/5) = -2
Rackme32
casketromance
merica

WRONG ANSWERS = 0
Peachbox (Barcelona, Sochi)
classicroadster (Moscow, Lake Placid)

F. John Paul II, Polish (4/4) = -2
NoWhammies10
clprez
xxaaaxx
heppm01

H. Titanium, Ti (4/5) = -2
Anachronism
RJRouge
CheezeWhiz
Wpwells

WRONG ANSWER = 0
Woof (Titanium; No symbol)

G. John Yossarian, Joseph Heller (7/8) [SHEEP] = 0
MarkBarrett
Troydozzy
Ironhorse
AFRET CMS
SenseiCAY
Gamawire
econgator

WRONG ANSWER
twelvefootboy (Yasario, Joseph Heller)

13. (BONUS #2) - Scattergories: Give up to 12 answers (1 per letter) for one of the 3 categories; Each 2 correct = -1, Singletons = -1

Example Category: Top 40 Boys & Top 40 Girls Baby Names in 2017 (per Social Security Administration)
Example Response: Anthony, Christopher, Elizabeth, Grace, Isaac, John, Leah, Madison, Natalie, Scarlett, William, Zoey

Many responses included multiple answers starting with the same letter - in those cases the first one listed was accepted.

From the most used option to the least…

A. One word nicknames (so Crimson Tide, Yellow Jackets, etc. do not count) for FBS teams. Numbers (49ers) also are out. [18 entrants]

CORRECT ANSWERS
Wolverines (Michigan) [8]: AFRET CMS, merica, classicroadster, Anachronism, clprez, threearruda, econgator, Woof
Gators (Florida) [7]: Rackme32, Ironhorse, AFRET CMS, classicroadster, spell4yr, clprez, econgator
Ducks (Oregon) [6]: Rackme32, twelvefootboy, AFRET CMS, spell4yr, clprez, Woof
Falcons (Air Force, Bowling Green) [6]: psgola, Ironhorse, AFRET CMS, Anachronism, spell4yr, threearruda
Midshipmen (Navy) [6]: psgola, Ironhorse, classicroadster, econgator, guessonguessonguess, Wpwells
Aggies (New Mexico State, Texas A&M, Utah State) [5]: AFRET CMS, classicroadster, threearruda, econgator, Woof
Lobos (New Mexico) [5]: casketromance, Peachbox, Anachronism, 9021amyers, guessonguessonguess
Longhorns (Texas) [5]: merica, spell4yr, econgator, Woof, Wpwells
Owls (Florida Atlantic, Rice, Temple) [5]: psgola, casketromance, Ironhorse, econgator, 9021amyers
Rebels (Mississippi, UNLV) [5]: Rackme32, merica, threearruda, 9021amyers, guessonguessonguess
Spartans (Michigan State, San Jose State) [5]: Rackme32, merica, classicroadster, clprez, threearruda
Tigers (Auburn, Clemson, LSU, Memphis, Missouri) [5]: twelvefootboy, Ironhorse, clprez, threearruda, econgator
Utah (Utes) [5]: AFRET CMS, spell4yr, 9021amyers, guessonguessonguess, Wpwells
Zips (Akron) [5]: casketromance, classicroadster, Anachronism, spell4yr, econgator
Cardinal (Stanford) [4]: twelvefootboy, clprez, econgator, guessonguessonguess
Cyclones (Iowa State) [4]: Ironhorse, Peachbox, spell4yr, Woof
Gamecocks (South Carolina) [4]: casketromance, merica, 9021amyers, guessonguessonguess
Hawkeyes (Iowa) [4]: Ironhorse, merica, Woof, 9021amyers
Huskies (Connecticut, Northern Illinois, Washington) [4]: Rackme32, casketromance, twelvefootboy, AFRET CMS
Knights (UCF) [4]: Anachronism, econgator, 9021amyers, guessonguessonguess
Terrapins (Maryland) [4]: casketromance, merica, classicroadster, Woof
Volunteers (Tennessee) [4]: Rackme32, merica, Woof, guessonguessonguess
Aztecs (San Diego State) [3]: psgola, casketromance, Anachronism
Badgers (Wisconsin) [3]: spell4yr, clprez, Woof
Boilermakers (Purdue) [3]: Ironhorse, merica, Wpwells
Bulls (Buffalo, South Florida) [3]: psgola, econgator, 9021amyers
Chippewas (Central Michigan) [3]: psgola, casketromance, Anachronism
Eagles (Boston College, Eastern Michigan, Georgia Southern) [3]: Rackme32, clprez, threearruda
Hilltoppers (Western Kentucky) [3]: psgola, classicroadster, Anachronism
Hurricanes (Miami) [3]: spell4yr, econgator, Wpwells
Jayhawks (Kansas) [3]: twelvefootboy, Ironhorse, Wpwells
Mountaineers (Appalachian State, West Virginia) [3]: Peachbox, spell4yr, Woof
Panthers (FIU, Georgia State, Pittsburgh) [3]: psgola, merica, Woof
Rams (Colorado State) [3]: psgola, AFRET CMS, Woof
Sooners (Oklahoma) [3]: twelvefootboy, Ironhorse, Wpwells
Trojans (USC, Troy) [3]: Rackme32, AFRET CMS, spell4yr
Broncos (Boise State, Western Michigan) [2]: AFRET CMS, threearruda
Cowboys (Oklahoma State, Wyoming) [2]: AFRET CMS, classicroadster
Jaguars (South Alabama) [2]: psgola, Anachronism
Miners (UTEP) [2]: casketromance, 9021amyers
Wildcats (Arizona, Kansas State, Kentucky, Northwestern) [2]: Rackme32, twelvefootboy

SINGLETONS = Additional -1
Bearcats (Cincinnati): Anachronism
Bears (Baylor): twelvefootboy
Blazers (UAB): guessonguessonguess
Bobcats (Ohio, Texas State): casketromance
Bruins (UCLA): Rackme32
Chanticleers (Coastal Carolina): 9021amyers
Commodores (Vanderbilt): Wpwells
Cornhuskers (Nebraska): merica
Cougars (BYU, Houston, Washington State): Rackme32
Flames (Liberty): casketromance
Minutemen (Massachusetts): Anachronism
Mustangs (SMU): AFRET CMS
Orange (Syracuse): merica
Pirates (East Carolina): 9021amyers
Razorbacks (Arkansas): Wpwells
RedHawks (Miami): Anachronism
Roadrunners (UTSA): casketromance
Rockets (Toledo): Ironhorse
Wolfpack (NC State): Ironhorse

NOT USED
Beavers (Oregon State)
Buckeyes (Ohio State)
Buffaloes (Colorado)
Bulldogs (Fresno State, Georgia, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State)
Cardinals (Ball State, Louisville)
Cavaliers (Virginia)
Hokies (Virginia Tech)
Hoosiers (Indiana)
Monarchs (Old Dominion)
Seminoles (Florida State)
Warhawks (Louisiana-Monroe)

Incorrect answers included Vandals (Idaho now FCS), other FCS schools, Flashes, Lions, Quahogs and Warriors (Hawaii = Rainbow Warriors).

TOTAL BONUS FOR THOSE CHOOSING CATEGORY A
Peachbox: 3 correct (-1) = -1
classicroadster: 9 correct (-4) = -4
clprez: 8 correct (-4) = -4
threearruda: 8 correct (-4) = -4
psgola: 10 correct (-5) = -5
twelvefootboy: 8 correct (-4) + 1 singleton (-1) = -5
spell4yr: 11 correct (-5) = -5
guessonguessonguess: 9 correct (-4) + 1 singleton (-1) = -5
econgator: 12 correct (-6) = -6
Woof: 12 correct (-6) = -6
Wpwells: 9 correct (-4) + 2 singletons (-2) = -6
Rackme32: 11 correct (-5) + 2 singletons (-2) = -7
AFRET CMS: 12 correct (-6) + 1 singleton (-1) = -7
9021amyers: 11 correct (-5) + 2 singletons (-2) = -7
Ironhorse: 12 correct (-6) + 2 singletons (-2) = -8
merica: 12 correct (-6) + 2 singletons (-2) = -8
casketromance: 12 correct (-6) + 3 singletons (-3) = -9
Anachronism: 12 correct (-6) + 3 singletons (-3) = -9

C. Countries and Capitals of North & South America [8 entrants]

Poor pinning of the category led to accepting some locations (and/or capitals thereof) that were not considered "countries" by my intended source…

CORRECT ANSWERS
Georgetown [4]: floridagator, Troydozzy, SenseiCAY, RJRouge
Kingston [4]: floridagator, Troydozzy, mennoknight, NoWhammies10
Roseau [4]: floridagator, Troydozzy, SenseiCAY, RJRouge
Tegucigalpa [4]: Troydozzy, SenseiCAY, RJRouge, xxaaaxx
Washington, DC [4]: floridagator, NoWhammies10, SenseiCAY, badgerfellow
Antigua and Barbuda [3]: Troydozzy, mennoknight, RJRouge
Bridgetown [3]: Troydozzy, SenseiCAY, RJRouge
Castries [3]: SenseiCAY, RJRouge, xxaaaxx
Dominica [3]: floridagator, Troydozzy, xxaaaxx
Kingstown [3]: SenseiCAY, RJRouge, xxaaaxx
Lima [3]: Troydozzy, NoWhammies10, Gamawire
United States [3]: NoWhammies10, RJRouge, xxaaaxx
Belmopan [2]: floridagator, mennoknight
Mexico [2]: mennoknight, NoWhammies10
Mexico City [2]: SenseiCAY, Gamawire
Montevideo [2]: floridagator, Troydozzy
Panama [2]: mennoknight, NoWhammies10
Paramaribo [2]: RJRouge, xxaaaxx
Port of Spain [2]: Troydozzy, SenseiCAY
Quito [2]: SenseiCAY, Gamawire

Anguilla: floridagator
Asuncion: Gamawire
Basseterre: xxaaaxx
Buenos Aires: Gamawire
Canada: NoWhammies10
Caracas: Troydozzy
Chile: Gamawire
Curacao: floridagator
Dominican Republic: NoWhammies10
Ecuador: Gamawire
El Salvador: RJRouge
Guatemala: mennoknight
Guatemala City: xxaaaxx
Haiti: NoWhammies10
Havana: xxaaaxx
Honduras: mennoknight
Jamaica: NoWhammies10
Managua: xxaaaxx
Nassau: RJRouge
Nicaragua: xxaaaxx
Nuuk: floridagator
Ottawa: NoWhammies10
Panama City: floridagator
Paraguay: Gamawire
Saint Lucia: mennoknight
San Juan: Troydozzy
San Salvador: xxaaaxx
St. George's: RJRouge
St. John's: SenseiCAY
St-Pierre: floridagator
Suriname: Gamawire
Uruguay: Gamawire
Venezuela: Gamawire

NOT USED (Among others)
Argentina
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bogota
Bolivia
Brasilia
Brazil
Colombia
Costa Rica
Cuba
Grenada
Guyana
La Paz
Peru
Port-au-Prince
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
San Jose
Santiago
Santo Domingo
Sucre
Trinidad and Tobago

TOTAL BONUS FOR THOSE CHOOSING CATEGORY C
SenseiCAY: 11 correct (-5) + 1 singleton (-1) = -6
mennoknight: 8 correct (-4) + 3 singletons (-3) = -7
Troydozzy: 12 correct (-6) + 2 singletons (-2) = -8
RJRouge: 12 correct (-6) + 3 singletons (-3) = -9
NoWhammies10: 11 correct (-5) + 5 singletons (-5) = -10
floridagator: 12 correct (-6) + 5 singletons (-5) = -11
xxaaaxx: 12 correct (-6) + 6 singletons (-6) = -12
Gamawire: 12 correct (-6) + 8 singletons (-8) = -14

B. Best Picture Winners since 1950 {For titles that begin with "A", "An" or "The", first letter of the second word is counted - so The Firm (if it were correct) would fall under "F"} [6 entrants]

CORRECT ANSWERS
Crash [4]: Tybalteon, MarkBarrett, CheezeWhiz, heppm01
The French Connection [3]: Tybalteon, badgerfellow, heppm01
The Last Emperor [3]: MarkBarrett, badgerfellow, saturnalia
Moonlight [3]: Tybalteon, saturnalia, heppm01
The Sting [3]: MarkBarrett, badgerfellow, saturnalia
Around the World in 80 Days [2]: MarkBarrett, CheezeWhiz
A Beautiful Mind [2]: Tybalteon, badgerfellow
The Bridge on the River Kwai [2]: saturnalia, heppm01
Chariots of Fire [2]: badgerfellow, saturnalia
Dances With Wolves [2]: badgerfellow, CheezeWhiz
The English Patient [2]: saturnalia, CheezeWhiz
The King's Speech [2]: MarkBarrett, saturnalia
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King [2]: Tybalteon, heppm01
Oliver! [2]: MarkBarrett, badgerfellow
Ordinary People [2]: CheezeWhiz, heppm01
Rocky [2]: MarkBarrett, heppm01
Tom Jones [2]: badgerfellow, CheezeWhiz

An American in Paris: saturnalia
The Apartment: badgerfellow
Argo: Tybalteon
Ben-Hur: MarkBarrett
Braveheart: CheezeWhiz
The Deer Hunter: saturnalia
Driving Miss Daisy: MarkBarrett
Forrest Gump: CheezeWhiz
Gigi: CheezeWhiz
Gladiator: badgerfellow
The Godfather: Tybalteon
The Godfather: Part II: heppm01
The Greatest Show on Earth: saturnalia
The Hurt Locker: MarkBarrett
In the Heat of the Night: CheezeWhiz
Kramer vs. Kramer: CheezeWhiz
Marty: MarkBarrett
Midnight Cowboy: badgerfellow
Platoon: MarkBarrett
Rain Man: saturnalia
Shakespeare in Love: heppm01
The Shape of Water: Tybalteon
Terms of Endearment: saturnalia
Titanic: Tybalteon
Twelve Years a Slave: heppm01
Unforgiven: badgerfellow
West Side Story: CheezeWhiz

NOT USED
All About Eve
Amadeus
American Beauty
Annie Hall
The Artist
Birdman
Chicago
The Departed
From Here to Eternity
Gandhi
Lawrence of Arabia
A Man for All Seasons
Million Dollar Baby
My Fair Lady
No Country for Old Men
On the Waterfront
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Out of Africa
Patton
Schindler's List
The Silence of the Lambs
Slumdog Millionaire
The Sound of Music
Spotlight

TOTAL BONUS FOR THOSE CHOOSING CATEGORY B
Tybalteon: 9 correct (-4) + 4 singletons (-4) = -8
heppm01: 10 correct (-5) + 3 singletons (-3) = -8
badgerfellow: 12 correct (-6) + 4 singletons (-4) = -10
saturnalia: 12 correct (-6) + 5 singletons = -11
MarkBarrett: 12 correct (-6) + 5 singletons (-5) = -11
CheezeWhiz: 12 correct (-6) + 6 singletons (-6) = -12

FINAL STANDINGS
32. twelvefootboy - 60
31. classicroadster - 47
29. spell4yr - 46
29. mennoknight - 46
27. Peachbox - 43
27. threearruda - 43
26. Wpwells - 41
25. SenseiCAY - 38
20. Woof - 36
20. clprez - 36
20. econgator - 36
20. Rackme32 - 36
20. Gamawire - 36
18. RJRouge - 35
18. saturnalia - 35
17. merica - 34
15. AFRET CMS - 33
15. Ironhorse - 33
12. Troydozzy - 32
12. NoWhammies10 - 32
12. xxaaaxx - 32
10. Tybalteon - 31
10. floridagator - 31
8. guessonguessonguess - 29
8. heppm01 - 29
6. psgola - 27
6. badgerfellow - 27
5. Anachronism - 26
4. 9021amyers - 24

On the podium…
3. casketromance - 21
2. MarkBarrett - 17

And the champion…
1. CheezeWhiz - 13

Thank you to everyone for playing!
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

D'oh, how did I neglect to use Roseau? I don't know why, exactly, but it's probably my favorite capital city name in the Caribbean.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

nice...a podium
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

I don’t remember which answers I put, but was I the one whose miss was Idaho?

Fun game as always.