Monday, October 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bartleby »

34,800 coryat. Ran Pieces of 8, Supreme Court Cases, Thre"e" Letter Words, and Various Cowboys.

Instaget of Mar-A-Lago, a.k.a. the Winter White House, a.k.a. Camp Donald, a.k.a. Hell's 3 Acres, a.k.a. the Crappiest Place On Earth.
I would prefer not to.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm The puzzle was a good one and I would not rate is as difficult as Alex made it sound. I completed it in ink with no mistakes while never being stumped for long or frustrated. For the things I did not know the crosses were reasonable to help with the solve.

The toughest thing for me was 16A: Accent sound? (4)
I'm not really a crossword solver, and admittedly I needed about an hour, but I came within one letter (51 across stumped me a bit and I misspelled 30 down as a result). The upper left corner took forever (flavoring issue). Since I work in ink, my grid is quite messy.

Yes, a good one. Tough one, though. Maybe not to someone who exercises this skill regularly. I'm quite impressed with Erik.
TLDR; You guys that got this easy are pretty good. Alex is right about this as pie-worthy.

I quit doing puzzles in the late 70's when I got good at them because they were full of "puzzle words" like Charlie Chaplin's widow, African Rivers, and that damn Celebes Ox. If the constructors were too lazy to use regular words then it was just a game for insiders. Later I discovered the USA Today puzzle with simple words and clever, diabolical twisted clues and I find them relaxing and enjoyable. Good for 20ish minutes on an airplane. It takes me a couple of hours to do a NYT weekender. Alright if I'm snowbound, but only now and then.

I'm an hour into this one. and half completed, and completely done. It's gettable for me but I'd just get mad like Alex ;). Not quite enough freebies for me. I also prefer a theme, although one might materialize when I look at the solution.
My favorite clue so far is the 21 down "Camel performers".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I wrote "the Russian embassy". Judges?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I feel like this FJ was essentially a "you know it or you don't" type. Yes, I'm sure it was possible to use the hints and come up with it, but I'm skeptical that many people who had never heard this fact before actually came up with the correct response. I did not, by the way.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:11 am I feel like this FJ was essentially a "you know it or you don't" type. Yes, I'm sure it was possible to use the hints and come up with it, but I'm skeptical that many people who had never heard this fact before actually came up with the correct response. I did not, by the way.
I think "warm weather retreat" was horrifically misleading. The Post lady might have called it that, but nobody phrases a snowbird hideout that way. It also was some kind of alternative reality that a citizen gave a property to the govn'ment (how do you do that?) and the Govn'ment gave it back (how do they do that? To whom?).
Even though it is unequivocally wrong, I'm surprised to have a singleton with Gitmo (so far?).
It is a tough clue to write without making it kid's week. Sometimes, they just try too hard...
harrumph wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 am For FJ I wrote "the Russian embassy". Judges?
Sorry, that is in NYC on Fifth avenue. The Florida outpost is just a consulate ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:39 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:11 am I feel like this FJ was essentially a "you know it or you don't" type. Yes, I'm sure it was possible to use the hints and come up with it, but I'm skeptical that many people who had never heard this fact before actually came up with the correct response. I did not, by the way.
I think "warm weather retreat" was horrifically misleading. The Post lady might have called it that, but nobody phrases a snowbird hideout that way. It also was some kind of alternative reality that a citizen gave a property to the govn'ment (how do you do that?) and the Govn'ment gave it back (how do they do that? To whom?).
Even though it is unequivocally wrong, I'm surprised to have a singleton with Gitmo (so far?).
It is a tough clue to write without making it kid's week. Sometimes, they just try too hard...
Tuesday spoiler...
Spoiler
Guantanamo was already a correct response in the Prisons category earlier in the game. (Sorry, that was Tuesday's game... :roll: )
Don't most people like "warm" weather? It's 'hot" weather they avoid...Not sure how a "horrifically misleading" clue sends one farther south...
Last edited by davey on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:39 am It also was some kind of alternative reality that a citizen gave a property to the govn'ment (how do you do that?) and the Govn'ment gave it back (how do they do that? To whom?).
More or less the same way any other two parties can transfer land, though there's a bit more red tape when the Gov't is involved

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/16/gard ... or-20.html
On her death in 1973 at age 86, Mrs. Post left the estate to the Federal Government to serve as a winter White House for Presidents and visiting heads of state. But Mar-a-Lago, lying directly in the flight path of the Palm Beach airport, proved too difficult to secure. And as the cost of keeping up the property soared beyond the funds Mrs. Post had provided, the Government returned it to the Post Foundation by an act of Congress that became effective April 1.
You can also give money straight to the gov't by writing and mailing a check to the Treasury Dept.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm I quit doing puzzles in the late 70's when I got good at them because they were full of "puzzle words" like Charlie Chaplin's widow, African Rivers, and that damn Celebes Ox. If the constructors were too lazy to use regular words then it was just a game for insiders. Later I discovered the USA Today puzzle with simple words and clever, diabolical twisted clues and I find them relaxing and enjoyable. Good for 20ish minutes on an airplane. It takes me a couple of hours to do a NYT weekender. Alright if I'm snowbound, but only now and then.
I stopped doing them for a while because I was finding that too many of them were way too easy, way too reliant on words that almost never appear outside crosswords (oh hey there, EPEE, it's not like I haven't seen you in the last 874 crosswords...), or balls-bustingly difficult (and this is from someone who actually can complete the occasional cryptic crossword without help). This one was actually a lot of fun to do.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I think you're massively overstating it. The category was "Places in the News" and the clue includes the words "Presidential retreat". What other Presidential retreat is in the news? No judgement on anyone who failed to connect the dots, or was thrown by summer/winter confusion, or like me failed to recall the correct name of Trump's retreat in 30 seconds, but I think it's absurd to say you have to have heard the story before.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 pm
I think you're massively overstating it. The category was "Places in the News" and the clue includes the words "Presidential retreat". What other Presidential retreat is in the news?
Fair point. All that was really needed was to realize the "Presidential retreat" bit was also a hint for why it's currently in the news, and that doesn't seem like a huge stretch. It was too big for me, however.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am
Spoiler
Guantanamo was already a correct response in the Prisons category earlier in the game.
I thought so, too, but turns out that was Tuesday's game, not Monday's so you might want to spoilerize it.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 pm
I think you're massively overstating it. The category was "Places in the News" and the clue includes the words "Presidential retreat". What other Presidential retreat is in the news?
The president has "retreats" in Scotland, New York and New Jersey, in addition to Mar-A-Lago, that have recently been in the news. While those three likely wouldn't like qualify as "warm-weather retreats," I think it's oversimplifying things to say the category "Places in the News" and phrase "presidential retreat," should automatically lead one to conclude M-a-L was the answer.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:41 pm
davey wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am
Spoiler
Guantanamo was already a correct response in the Prisons category earlier in the game.
I thought so, too, but turns out that was Tuesday's game, not Monday's so you might want to spoilerize it.
Whoops, thanks Kirk... :oops:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm Joanna appeared on Fleming J! in 1973 for Kindergarten week and won $300, encyclopedias and the home game.
Joanna clarified on LL that she was in college when she played J! for the first time. (You probably already knew that the kindergarten reference was likely an age-minimizing joke, but I wanted to make sure nobody got misled.)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

Monday Night Football (4), Down ___ (3), European Holiday (4), No Longer Around (2), Pieces of 8 (4), Herstory (5)
Classical Rappers (2), Supreme Court Cases (3), Thre"E"-letter Words (4), Something to Read (4), Cowboys (4), Venom (1)

Lach Trash: Isle of Man, surrealism, space cowboy, John Travolta, Gene Autry; Daily Double: Marbury v. Madison

Not instant, but a quick get.

Funny interview with Erik!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Going back to this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone put down what I did for FJ. But thinking about it now, I don't think anyone would. Nothing in the clue besides "places in the news" and early 70s seems to fit well with my sad response of Watergate. :lol:

Nothing else in the clue could lead me to anything else. I'll laugh about it at the moment, but yeah.
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm This is a link for the crossword puzzle Alex mentioned: http://latimescrosswordanswers.com/1111 ... 018-print/

I was able to print the blank puzzle on one page through Firefox and I don't know how other browsers will do. Even though I have no experience with LA Times crosswords I'll try an Alan Dunn in ink attempt.

If I need the answers later I have no doubt that will be easy to turn up with a basic search on Google.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm The puzzle was a good one and I would not rate is as difficult as Alex made it sound. I completed it in ink with no mistakes while never being stumped for long or frustrated. For the things I did not know the crosses were reasonable to help with the solve.

The toughest thing for me was 16A: Accent sound? (4)

Even after I filled in:
Spoiler
HONK - I did not get the connection until after the puzzle was completed that it hit me it could be a reference to a car. Which company? I had to use Google that it is a Hyundai.

These three Archive hits have not been enough to help me yet:
#7491, aired 2017-03-20 AUTO-MATIC WORDS $400: Hyundai drivers know it's a unique pattern of one's speech
#6644, aired 2013-07-04 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! $1000: You're 16 & thrilled with your new Accent, from this car company that uses the voice of Jeff Bridges
#4224, aired 2003-01-02 "L.P."s $800: For the Hyundai Accent, it's just under $10,000
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 pm I did it in about 25 minutes without cheating:
Spoiler

I know I'm way late here, but just in case you're looking for an Agard puzzle with even more bite, I want to point out that Erik also constructed the Newsday Saturday Stumper crossword from two Saturdays ago, November 3, 2018. You should be able to print it out from here, or you can still play it online in your browser for the next 2 or 3 days here. Warning: the Saturday Stumper is meant to be one of the toughest puzzles out there (often taking me more than twice as long as a typical NYT Saturday), but it's well worth your time if you like a really gnarly challenge. (On the other 6 days of the week, the Newsday puzzle is easier than the corresponding NYT and LAT puzzles.)

And if you still can't get enough of Erik's stuff, he's self-published a few hundred fantastic puzzles on his site, Glutton for Pun (with the same files mirrored on a Google Group), in both printable PDF and computer-playable .puz formats. (If you don't already have an app/program for playing .puz files, you can use this site with Chrome or Firefox.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you for the Newsday puzzle link. Working in pen was a mistake as I had a difficult time figuring out where I went wrong with my errors. One by one I worked out the correct fills to get the puzzle done with no help other than father time having no limit. It definitely took me more than an hour and I'd like to think I was closer to 90 minutes than 2 hours.

It was above my pay grade as a solver although I did manage to get it all right. I'll look into the other links another time.

Next up the Wednesday NYT puzzle which will have to be a lot easier.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 am Thank you for the Newsday puzzle link. Working in pen was a mistake as I had a difficult time figuring out where I went wrong with my errors. One by one I worked out the correct fills to get the puzzle done with no help other than father time having no limit. It definitely took me more than an hour and I'd like to think I was closer to 90 minutes than 2 hours.

It was above my pay grade as a solver although I did manage to get it all right. I'll look into the other links another time.

Next up the Wednesday NYT puzzle which will have to be a lot easier.
30:36 for the Agard puzzle, but yeah, that was quite a toughie.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 pm Marjorie Merriweather Post's Hillwood home is just a few miles from here. It's a neat place to visit, and has a collection of Faberge eggs, which are worth the visit alone.
Very late to the party here. Passing time in lockdown by clearing out old episodes from the DVR.

I love this place! One of the most memorable places I've visited in DC. Sadly, my recent trip for a birthday weekend and the cherry blossom 10-mile race was cancelled due to COVID-19. I rescheduled my trip for end of May - we'll see what happens!