Wednesday, October 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:53 pm I said Bloomfontein, which fails the pronunciation test.
The FJ! round is about writing. I say count it and now it will take 2 no posts to negate my yes.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

I vote "count it" also...

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The 2/3 on FJ surprised me; the 0/2 on spelling did not. I was cringing waiting for the reveal and hoping nobody got dinged on spelling.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wow, Alex - you asked Erik if he was raking in the dough as a puzzlebator? Awkwarddddd!

I thought Erik would last a while but he seems to lose his dominance on the buzzer or just decides to stay CLAM for periods of time. And, surprisingly he takes some weird guesses. He hit on betwixt, but "House Robin" (for the house sparrow) is just funny :lol:. He had a weird guess for the arithmetic question yesterday as well.

BTW, Where do the writers think house sparrows go? They are not migratory. The picture was enough but the clue is arguably misleading. They like nature questions, but the picture of the snake earlier this week was a rare coloration - I've never even seen a picture like it.
Spoiler
The water moccasin pictured was very light colored - these are bad-assed snakes and they look it.
I fully expected the champ to get the world capital question, even if it is a somewhat esoteric trivia nugget. He fired out Montevideo easy enough. It probably isn't a puzzle word, but surely all contestants burn in world capitals (if they have time).
I missed it with Pretoria - knew it wouldn't be Johannesburg from the flower TOM and knew I couldn't remember the other name. I only knew about the redundant capital situation in South Africa from last year's episode.

Good luck Erik, which you'd have made some more coin. I learned from your puzzle (and TPH cheat sheet) that modern puzzles have evolved to lots of phrases - I'll probably never get reprogrammed to think with parallel processing like that.

Congrats Eric(?) Hanna. I think going all on DD3 and missing could've locked you out so I'm good with your wager. I am on record in another thread as rooting for Canucks and girls. The jury is out on belly sliding ice maniacs :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:57 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:53 pm I said Bloomfontein, which fails the pronunciation test.
The FJ! round is about writing. I say count it and now it will take 2 no posts to negate my yes.
Yeah. "Bloem" in Dutch (or Afrikaans) is pronounced "bloom".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 pm 0/5 on Cher. :oops: Of course, it's not that dire: on a hypothetical DD I'd have come up with "Mamma Mia" and I've heard "I've Got You Babe" and "Believe," -- the latter, anyway, is a fantastic song.
"I've Got You, Babe" would get—and has gotten—a player negged. The title isn't in the present perfect tense.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 pm I fully expected the champ to get the world capital question, even if it is a somewhat esoteric trivia nugget. He fired out Montevideo easy enough. It probably isn't a puzzle word, but surely all contestants burn in world capitals (if they have time).
I missed it with Pretoria - knew it wouldn't be Johannesburg from the flower TOM and knew I couldn't remember the other name. I only knew about the redundant capital situation in South Africa from last year's episode.
I knew it wouldn't be Johannesburg from the word "capital" in the clue. (It's the largest city, but Bloemfontein, Pretoria, and Cape Town are the centers of each of the three branches of SA's government.) I also fully expected Erik to get it right; he clearly figured out it was South Africa, presumably from "judicial capital," and I assume he just named another capital because he couldn't remember all three (or more importantly, he couldn't remember the right one).
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:50 pm
"I've Got You, Babe" would get—and has gotten—a player negged. The title isn't in the present perfect tense.
Noted! Thanks.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I haven't heard "Bloemfontein" pronounced (I often don't watch Jeopardy daily btw, I usually just keep track with online recaps and such), but I'd pronounce it Blohm-Fon-Tayne. The first syllable to rhyme with "roam".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bloemfontein came up in an FJ in the fairly early days of the Trebek era; first decade, I would guess. Something like "Of South Africa's three capitals, the one in the geographic middle of the country". I'm pretty sure I posted something similar here after the 2017 game, as it seems the sort of thing I would do.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I joined champion-Erik in running "Be".

Thanks to Disney's Gargoyles, I'm predisposed to think of Brooklyn as a male name.

I had the same brain fart on "Ahab" that I bet the contestants did. Even after the neg on Ishmael, that was still the only Moby-Dick character name that my brain could dredge up. Then cue the "oh, uh" when Alex said what it was.

Rock needs to brush up on song titles. Still, how was "I Got You Babe" a TS? Did the other two honestly miss the "want"?

Byzantium was entirely byzantine to me. I didn't get anything right.

Also 0/5 in the Literature and Fossil categories. However, I got all but the bottom on Say the Word.

Lisbeth Salander seems like a Hawley-Smoot name to me, so I'm sure it would've stuck had I seen it before.

Blah blah rose = Bloemfontein.

Lach Trash: I Got You Babe
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 pm Lisbeth Salander seems like a Hawley-Smoot name to me, so I'm sure it would've stuck had I seen it before.
I have a feeling they would have accepted "the girl with the dragon tattoo" for that clue, and that, in fact, they only had Salander as an alternative response (if even that much).
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

35,000 coryat.

Not really an instaget, as I immediately knew which capital it was but had to dredge up its cockamamie name. Thankfully it came to me after 10 seconds.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm The Reddit Guy comes in handy for such circumstances: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Wow, thanks a bunch. I don't reddit, so this is news to me. URL now been archived.

I'm sure there are other metro-Houston jboardies (or in other markets that air J! at 1 p.m.) who will appreciate this.
Pro Tip: When you go to the episode page, do a Ctrl-F for "dailym." That will let you skip past the spoilers in the episode summary and get right to the post with the Google Drive and Dailymotion episode links.
You can skip even those steps by directly bookmarking jibjabjrjr's user comments page (https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr/comments/).
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 pm 0/5 on Cher. :oops: Of course, it's not that dire: on a hypothetical DD I'd have come up with "Mamma Mia" and I've heard "I've Got You Babe" and "Believe," -- the latter, anyway, is a fantastic song.
I don't think the standard grammar--I have got you--is in the present perfect. In American English, that's the functional equivalent, give or take a nuance, of "I have you." It's the simple present. The present perfect would be "I have gotten you."
billiej

Post by billiej »

Vowela wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:34 pm In retrospect I should've gotten it, but all my mind could do was associate Pretoria with petunias, and wound up picking that one :oops:.
I said Pretoria as well. Bloemfontein, for me, is the Carreras of South African capitals: it's that *other* one. :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:09 am
I don't think the standard grammar--I have got you--is in the present perfect. In American English, that's the functional equivalent, give or take a nuance, of "I have you." It's the simple present. The present perfect would be "I have gotten you."
"I got you" is also the functional equivalent of "I have you." How would you differentiate "got" from "have got," if not by calling them past tense and present perfect respectively?

Also, I know "gotten" is the past participle in American English, but it's not like American English speakers don't give the past participle form amiss and use the past tense form of a verb in present or past perfect constructions.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:05 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:09 am
"I got you" is also the functional equivalent of "I have you." How would you differentiate "got" from "have got," if not by calling them past tense and present perfect respectively?
You lost me. What? "I have you" and the more colloquial "I got you" are both present tense pure and simple, the latter ungrammatically so. "I got you" is not past tense. It does not mean "I took possession of you at some point in the past."

"I have got you" is functionally equivalent to "I have you" and "I got you." It may have the form of the present perfect, but grammatically it functions as a present tense. As a present perfect it would express something similar to "I have possessed you" or "I have received you." But this is not what we mean by "I have got you" or "I got you."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Saturnalia wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 pm "Believe," -- the latter, anyway, is a fantastic song.
No accounting for taste. I've often cited it as my most hated song.

For FJ Bloemfontein came to mind immediately, but it took me a few more seconds to realize what the connection to roses was.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
"Judicial capital" meant that it was going to be one of the three in South Africa. I didn't know which is which, but the one with the Dutch cognate for "bloom" would be aptly named as the home of a rose festival.
A little knowledge goes a long way with a clue like this. I followed exactly the same line of reasoning and got to the right city very nicely. Also managed to misspell it just as Rock and Hannah did, but who cares?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

What's up with this show? Alex's pie-in-the-face one day and the "3 Eriks" gag the next sounds like he's actually becoming funnier.

LT: Ross Ice Shelf, "I Got You, Babe," zymase (where the hell did I ever hear THAT?).

Ran the category in "be", 3-for-3 in DDs, almost-Instaget FJ, and still a wayyyy sub-par Coryat.

When I saw the one category name I started to wonder whether I might qualify as Ohio's state fossil. Maybe not quite yet.

I thought Hannah would have wagered more sensibly in FJ, to snatch a win in the event both she and Erik negged that clue. Fortunately for her it didn't cost her and in fact made for a much nicer payday. Have to see what her future FJ wager(s) look like so see if she knows more about that all-important category than she revealed in this game.