Wednesday, October 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Also a judicial capital, this aptly named city is known for an annual rose festival that began in 1976

Erik Agard: 14600-5601=8999
Hannah McIntyre: 10100+10100=20200 (New Champ)
Rock Wayda: 1200+1100=2300

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bloemfontein (Erik – Cape Town) (Hannah – Pret Blomfontein) (Rock – Blomfontein)

Daily Doubles
Rock: 200-1000
Rock: 1200-2000
Hannah: 8600+1500

Coryats
Erik: 14600
Hannah: 9800
Rock: 4200

Combined: 28,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Erik: 5800
Hannah: 3400
Rock: minus 400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Erik Wayda had to play as his nickname "Rock" since champ Erik Agard had dibs on the same first name.

The champ had a category to his liking with the run of LET IT "BE."

Ouch on the poor processing on DD2 and the word "races" and Rock may have wanted to crawl under one.

Hannah did 8600+1500 on DD3 against 14600 for Erik. A miss and how the next two clues played out would have been a runaway for Erik. If Hannah had bet big for the lead she'd have at least $9000 more returning tomorrow.

The break after the reveal of the FJ! category gave me time to think about as many African cities as I could recall with an emphasis on capital cities. The clue was a nice reward for regular viewing of the show as the dots were not complicated to connect with a familiar pattern from previous shows.

Erik's defeat was not at all surprising with enough hints during the four games to give an indication of potential weaknesses in the champ's game. Getting to the right country was only part of the solution. It's that next step that some FJ! clues require that managed to trip Erik and cost him a place in the ToC.

Homework for the players: Listening to that Sonny & Cher song. Or watching a certain Bill Murray movie will do the trick.

We have not had a 61-clue game since Oct. 15 as the combination of special readers, stumpers, over-politeness, and category/value jumping is eating too much time.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Sucks to see Erik go out already. I was hoping for another win or two to lock himself in for the ToC.

I remember the FJ from early 2017 that had Bloemfontein as the correct response. Luckily I also happened to come across that episode on YouTube recently. So thanks to that, and with nothing else to go on besides "rose" = "flowers" and "African city", I guessed today's FJ correct. May have been a fluke but at least I can already prevent an FJ shutout for me this week.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

0/5 on Cher. :oops: Of course, it's not that dire: on a hypothetical DD I'd have come up with "Mamma Mia" and I've heard "I've Got You Babe" and "Believe," -- the latter, anyway, is a fantastic song.

Couldn't bring myself to ring in on what I thought was an iffy guess on the Tully Monster clue, even though as a new Chicago resident I'd seen that very exhibit at the Field Museum two months ago. I only realized once Rock had rung in that "Field Museum" itself was a TOM for the state in question. A case of too firsthand a knowledge of the subject making it hard to parse a J! clue.

Gotta commit that Justinian/Hagia Sophia thing to memory...

(I should add that, in spite of my focus upon the negative above, I had a game I'm happy with -- 34,600 and insta-FJ.)
Last edited by Saturnalia on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

For the second time in a few weeks, ABC has seen fit to preempt Jeopardy! in Houston (1 p.m.) for a pointless, unnecessary "Special Bulletin" with information that could've been gleaned, for people who crave such useless minutiae, from PBS, CNN or any one of a dozen or so other networks that carry daytime press conferences for trivial reasons.

Hoping the archivists will have the Oct. 24 episode posted soon so I can see what I missed. George Snuffleupagus is really starting to get on my nerves.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:40 pm For the second time in a few weeks, ABC has seen fit to preempt Jeopardy! in Houston (1 p.m.) for a pointless, unnecessary "Special Bulletin" with information that could've been gleaned, for people who crave such useless minutiae, from PBS, CNN or any one of a dozen or so other networks that carry daytime press conferences for trivial reasons.

Hoping the archivists will have the Oct. 24 episode posted soon so I can see what I missed. George Snuffleupagus is really starting to get on my nerves.
The Reddit Guy comes in handy for such circumstances: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm
Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:40 pm For the second time in a few weeks, ABC has seen fit to preempt Jeopardy! in Houston (1 p.m.) for a pointless, unnecessary "Special Bulletin" with information that could've been gleaned, for people who crave such useless minutiae, from PBS, CNN or any one of a dozen or so other networks that carry daytime press conferences for trivial reasons.

The Reddit Guy comes in handy for such circumstances: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Wow, thanks a bunch. I don't reddit, so this is news to me. URL now been archived.

I'm sure there are other metro-Houston jboardies (or in other markets that air J! at 1 p.m.) who will appreciate this.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

The vagaries of Jeopardy. Hannah goes timid on a late DD but goes crazy on her FJ wager - and wins.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 32,800
44 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ross Ice Shelf; Will Rogers (DD); "I Got You, Babe"; chariot races (DD), stegosaurus

"Judicial capital" meant that it was going to be one of the three in South Africa. I didn't know which is which, but the one with the Dutch cognate for "bloom" would be aptly named as the home of a rose festival.

After yesterday's interview segment, Erik got a laugh from the audience by going to the Beatles-inspired category first.

I never met a Pavlov I didn't like: early 1900s + humorist = Will Rogers
Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm The Reddit Guy comes in handy for such circumstances: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Wow, thanks a bunch. I don't reddit, so this is news to me. URL now been archived.

I'm sure there are other metro-Houston jboardies (or in other markets that air J! at 1 p.m.) who will appreciate this.
Pro Tip: When you go to the episode page, do a Ctrl-F for "dailym." That will let you skip past the spoilers in the episode summary and get right to the post with the Google Drive and Dailymotion episode links.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

I can’t be the only one who immediately thought of The Purple Rose of Cairo and got stuck, can I?
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

In retrospect I should've gotten it, but all my mind could do was associate Pretoria with petunias, and wound up picking that one :oops:.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Not my favorite episode. Going for the top of multiple categories down 7k, then a 1500 wager on a post-LTaM warning DD...but then she wins anyway. Whatever.

I was mildly surprised when no one picked up the rebound after Rock's "I Want You Babe" neg (god I hate that song. And "Believe". Thanks, J! writers). I was shocked when no one knew Justinian, even with a painting and 'building the Hagia Sophia' (and 'married to Theodora', but they were never getting off of that). Also, does J! even ask about any of them other than Justinian and Constantine?

Instaget FJ. I'm almost certain the Bloemfontein/flowers connection has come up in an FJ before EDIT: yup. And I got it right then, so at least I'm not slipping.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:44 pm Instaget FJ. I'm almost certain the Bloemfontein/flowers connection has come up in an FJ before, but I don't know when, or if I got it right then.
January 2017. I didn't know it then, and am actually kind of surprised I came up with the name this time.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm The vagaries of Jeopardy. Hannah goes timid on a late DD but goes crazy on her FJ wager - and wins.
Yep. She was a fine player as far as her knowledge base (other than having the same Cher-shaped hole as her competition), and an engaging contestant. But she's very lucky she didn't torpedo herself with those wagers.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Plactus wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:44 pm Instaget FJ. I'm almost certain the Bloemfontein/flowers connection has come up in an FJ before, but I don't know when, or if I got it right then.
January 2017. I didn't know it then, and am actually kind of surprised I came up with the name this time.
I don’t think I knew it then either, but my surprising recollection of that FJ gave it to me this time.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Out of curiosity, how many times has a contestant gone by a middle name/shortened name/nickname to resolve a naming conflict, have they ever won, and if so, did they change their name back the next day? I have no idea how to go about checking the archive for this.

In his shoes, I definitely would've stuck with Rock had I won 8-)
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Finally! I've been hoping for a Tully Monster clue for years. :D
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said Bloomfontein, which fails the pronunciation test.