Friday, October 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

I’m going to Norway next summer so it was nice to see that category tonight. I thought Tori was a strong player as well as Chris and I preferred both to Dhruv. Well-played game with a weak ending. I thought of the Shroud of Turin right away but then I realized the clue said 336 (!) lbs. I’m pretty strong on Ireland and Scotland so Perthshire led me to the latter. The Blarney Stone (which I’ve kissed) is part of Blarney Castle. It probably wouldn’t weigh that much if they cut it out of there. Plenty of LT tonight but still a good match!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:30 pm Instaget FJ. Also shocked that all 3 missed it.

I also hate it when a horrible wager gets rewarded.
Yeah. Dhruv's wasn't much better. I'd have put in like $2K or so in his place. Ironically, the one guy that had the correct wager today is now the one leaving with the least amount of money.

I didn't play yesterday's FJ and I don't know if I would have gotten it right. So in that regard, I am 1/4 this week. Not a shutout at least.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:10 pm Fun trivia fact that may come up on the show sooner or later: Leonard Maltin played the title character in Groundhog Day.
also is in the guinness book of records for shortest movie review with "no" when he reviewed the movie "isn't it romantic?"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:30 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:10 pm Fun trivia fact that may come up on the show sooner or later: Leonard Maltin played the title character in Groundhog Day.
also is in the guinness book of records for shortest movie review with "no" when he reviewed the movie "isn't it romantic?"
Why doesn't Rotten Tomatoes' review of The Emoji Movie (which, for the record, was 🚫) surpass that? :lol:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

The last couple of days have been quite brutal with the slow-bouncing (it defeats the strategy if you say "um........." before each bounce, btw) and videos.

I think they must have added a commercial as well. Glad for DVR because every commercial slot is held by one of a handful of political candidates and, guess what, they don't much like each other.

Gretchen Whitmer once received 45 cents in change when she should have received 35 cents... and didn't report it until an hour later!

Mike Bishop once took a meeting with the son of a second cousin to a guy who once visited Russia!

No idea for FJ. Bible stuff is lost on me. I went to Scotland immediately, but couldn't think of a rock. "Son of Stonehenge" is not a good guess.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Another Blarney Stone here - royalty and bible stuff is certainly not in my wheelhouse.

If I'm Dhruv I bet nothing in that situation, but his actual wager was defensible in my eyes. Wondering if Tori intended to cover Dhruv but miscalculated.

Nearly posted my highest Coryat of the season despite the six unplayed clues. Very confident I get those last two in DJ if they're shown... *shrug*.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Ugh! Couldn’t get off of Blarney Stone. My streak is gone.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Never heard of the Stone of Scone. Took a WAG and wrote Ark of the Covenant (thinking that a legend doesn't necessarily have to be accurate).
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

32,800 coryat.

Well, that shot what woulda/coulda/shoulda been my second 5/5 of the season all to hell. Like a lot of others here, I came to the Blarney Stone early and couldn't move off it. Everything felt wrong the whole way (the weight, the Holy Land origin, the names seeming more Scottish than Irish) but I couldn't get it in time. When my brother said my answer wasn't correct, I thought another minute about it and pulled the right answer. :cry:
I would prefer not to.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bartleby wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:06 am 32,800 coryat.

Well, that shot what woulda/coulda/shoulda been my second 5/5 of the season all to hell. Like a lot of others here, I came to the Blarney Stone early and couldn't move off it. Everything felt wrong the whole way (the weight, the Holy Land origin, the names seeming more Scottish than Irish) but I couldn't get it in time. When my brother said my answer wasn't correct, I thought another minute about it and pulled the right answer. :cry:
You needed FICTION $1200 to be the FJ! clue then your 5/5 would have been a lock.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

threearruda wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:17 am If I'm Dhruv I bet nothing in that situation,
Oooohh, not ideal in my book. This is a situation where one or both the leaders might decide to stand pat. I think Dhruv should wager $1001. That won't hurt him on a TS (except to the tune of $1001) since, if the leaders don't bet zero, they'll either bet it all, close to all, or at least the shutout. And it guards against losing on a get because Tori or Todd bet $0.

Of course, either leader might bet tiny but not zero--$999 to stay ahead of Dhruv on a miss is defensible. So maybe Dhruv should bet $2001. Yeah, I'm going with that. Final answer.

I think Tori was trying to make the shutout bet plus a dollar (i.e. $9802) to shutout Todd by a buck if he made the shutout against Dhruv. Not a terrible strategy. She just miscalculated and bet $9602 instead. That earned her an extra $200 which she should spend on something foolish.

Anyway, I'm pleased Tori won since her response was closest to right.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

You needed FICTION $1200 to be the FJ! clue then your 5/5 would have been a lock.
Except that would be the moment when his privacy concerns would kick in and we'd see "What is I would prefer not to respond?"
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Scallions*, Shin Dig, Ernest Klein, (Catch 22), P. D. James, (Librarian of Congress)

Only misses today were Robin Williams, Roundhouse, 23 and Me, and Beck.
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:15 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm One more for Blarney Stone. I need to move Stone of Scone closer to the front of my mental rolodex.
i said blarney stone as well...had never heard of stone of scone before
My first thought (and I even wrote it down) was Blarney Stone, even though I'm pretty sure that's Irish :roll: and not English. Spent the rest of the time trying to come up with a good alternative, and remembered Stone of Scone at about the 37-second mark, not enough time to correct my dumb mistake. Grrrrrrr.

Count me as another not devastated to see Dhruv replaced.

And oh, yeah. one of the three knew how to wager, and it wasn't the one who won the game. Have no idea how a contestant can NOT figure out to go all in when going into FJ in a tie for the lead, unless it is a truly sucky category for that person. Tori didn't bet enough to go for an all-in tie and didn't even bet enough to keep from being caught from behind. Woof.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 pm
Doing my part to keep the FJ! clue imperfect I wrote Blarney Stone.
Did my part to help. It was my bad timing to have made a silly joke about the Blarney Stone in a different thread a couple of hours before I watched the game, so it was way too fresh in my mind. If I hadn't been thinking about the Blarney Stone earlier in the afternoon, I might have had a 25% chance of getting to Stone of Scone in time, instead of thinking of it just as Dhruv's response was revealed. If Blarney Stone shows up a few more times, might be worth polling.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That film contained a Jeopardy! Clip, one that included Leslie Frates, who has recurred on special tournaments.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:37 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am

Except that would be the moment when his privacy concerns would kick in and we'd see "What is I would prefer not to respond?"
It's a real Heart of Darkness.
I would prefer not to.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I've been to Edinburgh Castle. Instaget.

(I've also kissed the Blarney Stone.)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MacAlpin > Scotland > Stone of Scone. Done.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've had a couple scones that tasted like stones.