Friday, October 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Legend says this, weighing 336 lbs., came from the Holy Land & Kenneth MacAlpin brought it to Perthshire c. 840

Dhruv Srinivasachar: 10800-10799=1
Tori Campbell: 11800-9602=2198 (New Champ)
Todd LaPlace: 11800-11800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Stone of Scone (Stone of Destiny) (Dhruv – Excalibur) (Tori – rock on which Kings of England are sit on the throne) (Todd – Rosetta Stone)

Daily Doubles
Dhruv: 1600+1000
Todd: 7600-1000
Tori: 10600-2000

Coryats
Dhruv: 10800
Tori: 13800
Todd: 12800

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dhruv: 3200
Tori: 5800
Todd: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Six more clues left today and once again board jumping and hesitant clue calling ate time.

The clue with the reversal in NOT TO BE CONFUSED $200: On the menu, scallops are shellfish & these are immature or green onions

Tori was negged and later got a correct response for shallots when Alex was looking for scallions. Wake up researchers.

Doing my part to keep the FJ! clue imperfect I wrote Blarney Stone. I knew to swat away the distracting Rosetta Stone and that got me halfway solving the clue. It was only as time was almost up that I realized what the correct response had to be and I had no time to switch since I play with writing and not thinking.

If I would have woke up to “MacAlpin” not being Ireland then I would have avoided joining the miss parade. That leaves me 2/3 on FJ! clues about the thing after solving the previous ones in 1999 & 2014.

The FJ! round scenario had me sniffing shenanigans as $1000 only by Todd on DD2 and standard $2000 by Tori on DD3 did not have me confident to see double $11800 wagers. Tori blinked and Tori won. Fair enough since obviously she was the closest of the three to solving the clue.

The crazier end-the-week possibilities of a dollar win or tiebreaker were not to be.

Alex’s instructive opening to the players was fair game to remind them about the words in the FJ! clue and the Daily Double categories. I should have listened more.

The name Tori Campbell caught my ears as I remembered the local news anchor with the same name stuck with a bit of unfortunate notoriety as part of a racist prank and an airline tragedy:
Spoiler
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Can't believe that FJ was a triple miss. The game was right there for anyone who pays attention to the news - along with even a casual acquaintance with things related to British royalty.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

One more for Blarney Stone. I need to move Stone of Scone closer to the front of my mental rolodex.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget FJ. Also shocked that all 3 missed it.

I also hate it when a horrible wager gets rewarded.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I wasn't exactly hoping for a tiebreaker (since the one we've gotten sucked), but...*sigh* There's really nothing I can say about any of the wagering today that wouldn't devolve into incoherent swearing.

Ah, the Stone of however they pronounce Scone. I definitely missed it the last time it was a FJ, but instaget this time.

My kingdom for a 61-clue game.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Well, heck, I got Final (remembering the last time it came up; I had never heard of it then), so a 3/5 week even with the two :oops: and I hit my current 30,000-average benchmark for the week again. But there were a bunch of clues I clammed on today in DJ that I would have gotten right with a guess -- P.D. James, Librarian of Congress (I don't usually make myself guess on DDs, though maybe I should), Penguin, Sweden. Tough to know whether I was being correctly prudent or unduly gunshy. Probably somewhere in between.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

good to see dhruv be a one and doner....guy wasted time by saying the full category name and taking forever to answer a clue toward the end, followed by senseless muttering about how he liked a song....took away from more clues being revealed
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm One more for Blarney Stone. I need to move Stone of Scone closer to the front of my mental rolodex.
i said blarney stone as well...had never heard of stone of scone before
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Every time I see someone with the name Tori, I think of Toriel from Undertale.

This was a terrible board for me. So much stuff that was in my hammerhouse.

Didn't recognize anything in the relations or literature categories (there's a Jim in Huckleberry Finn?!?). Also don't recognize the movie Splash.

So of course, Alex's ad lib denies me a chance at going 5/5 on the Albums...

MacAlpin? That sounds like an Irish name. What's a heavy Irish thing? Gotta be the Blarney-- no, uh, uh, that other stone I had never heard of last time it came up. What was it again...? Stone of Scone! This was not a category that I expected to nail a TS in.
Golf

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:30 pm I also hate it when a horrible wager gets rewarded.
This. Such a simple situation and contestants still have no clue how to wager. Sort of like not taking the time to cash in a 5-figure lottery ticket.

Honestly a little confused as to why so many(so far) went with Ireland here, shire(to my knowledge) is not an Irish term and Mac is a ToM for Scotland. Of course it's a better answer than leaving it blank.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:30 pm I also hate it when a horrible wager gets rewarded.
This. Such a simple situation and contestants still have no clue how to wager. Sort of like not taking the time to cash in a 5-figure lottery ticket.

Honestly a little confused as to why so many(so far) went with Ireland here, shire(to my knowledge) is not an Irish term and Mac is a ToM for Scotland. Of course it's a better answer than leaving it blank.
Not the kind of miss where I can beg the court for mercy since I'm guilty as charged. Before taking the clue in for its entirety the Rosetta Stone was a Pavlov reaction. The year of 840 was enough to eliminate it with certainty.

From there the jump went to another famous stone and Blarney Stone went on the paper. During think time I tried looking at Blarney Stone to see if the weight or discovery location/year was something I knew about to dismiss it. I glossed over the man's name since I had never heard of him without taking in the hint of the surname origin.

-shire/Perthshire is not the kind of thing that would register to me to automatically nix Ireland, unfortunately.

My solving the prior 1999 and 2014 versions of the FJ! clue should get me time off for good behavior. Also, I did figure out Stone of Scone just before time was up. Hammer solved the clue, so I guess I have to accept a fine from the J! kangaroo court.

Mark Barrett for the defense of the Blarney Stone.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I couldn't even put down anything viable for today's FJ, and I don't know what the Stone of Scone is.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

22 right.

Leonard Maltin (4), Relationships (1), Presidential Firsts (1), Not to Be Confused (0), Animal Oddities (2), Starts or Ends With a Body Part (0)
Aviation History (2), People (3), Grammy's Album of the Year (4), Fiction (1), You Go Norway (2), We'll Go "R"s (2)

No Lach Trash.

I was thinking of the Rosetta Stone and even stuff like the Holy Grail, but I knew what it was after Alex's words to Tori.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:39 pm Can't believe that FJ was a triple miss. The game was right there for anyone who pays attention to the news - along with even a casual acquaintance with things related to British royalty.
Stone of Scone in the news? Are you talking about this? It doesn't seem to be a widespread story...
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... f-destiny/
I should have picked up on Mac-, Perthshire did not lead me to Scotland, and the Holy Land was a distraction since I didn't know that origin. It took me about :35 to get the idea of the clue, I guess Famous Stones would have helped me more as a category name... :oops:
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Not the kind of miss where I can beg the court for mercy since I'm guilty as charged. Before taking the clue in for its entirety the Rosetta Stone was a Pavlov reaction. The year of 840 was enough to eliminate it with certainty.

From there the jump went to another famous stone and Blarney Stone went on the paper. During think time I tried looking at Blarney Stone to see if the weight or discovery location/year was something I knew about to dismiss it. I glossed over the man's name since I had never heard of him without taking in the hint of the surname origin.

-shire/Perthshire is not the kind of thing that would register to me to automatically nix Ireland, unfortunately.

My solving the prior 1999 and 2014 versions of the FJ! clue should get me time off for good behavior. Also, I did figure out Stone of Scone just before time was up. Hammer solved the clue, so I guess I have to accept a fine from the J! kangaroo court.

Mark Barrett for the defense of the Blarney Stone.
Admittedly, I've been working on parsing every word of a given clue, and it makes a difference. Why give the name of a man that no Jeopardy player has ever heard of unless it's a clue? IMO, that's something very few will zero in on. Perthshire should be a little more obvious, 336 pounds is a given. The rest is just filler I believe.

And isn't that the fun part of the game, confidently answering clues you don't really know the answer to? I don't care what somebody sitting at home has for a Coryat, or how much LT they collect, or how many FJ's in a row they get. Share how you figured out the answer to a difficult clue that you didn't know off the top of your head. That's the difference between memorizing trivial bits and playing the game. And that's what makes Jeopardy different from quiz shows like WWTBAM.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fun trivia fact that may come up on the show sooner or later: Leonard Maltin played the title character in Groundhog Day.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

why? it's a victimless crime. more money from the show's pockets is a good thing. :lol: how could another contestant be more deserving if they got beat in spite of an extra advantage for good strategy? this reminds me of the whining some blackjack players do when a novice player stands or hits incorrectly (they got my cards!).

otoh, i hate it when a good wager gets punished. but sometimes you've gotta draw for those little cards when the dealer has ten showing to your 16.
Golf wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:03 pm Honestly a little confused as to why so many(so far) went with Ireland here, shire(to my knowledge) is not an Irish term and Mac is a ToM for Scotland. Of course it's a better answer than leaving it blank.
If I didn't guess "Blarney Stone", I'd have had to guess "the Liberty Bell", or maybe "Liederkranz", whatever that debacle was about. NHO that rock, and after reading the Wiki on it, I'm dumber than I was. :roll: (It's fake, it's been broken, the real one is in a river, yada yada..)
Golf wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 pm And isn't that the fun part of the game, confidently answering clues you don't really know the answer to? I don't care what somebody sitting at home has for a Coryat, or how much LT they collect, or how many FJ's in a row they get. Share how you figured out the answer to a difficult clue that you didn't know off the top of your head. That's the difference between memorizing trivial bits and playing the game.
Well put! The FJ deconstruction is enlightening and shows the cleverness of the writers. It's pretty much the only reason I post in case anyone wants to know a trivia outsider's point of view. I'm also good with the personal achievement posts also, it gives some context if I chose to keep count.

A vicious question to end the week. I was neutral until Druvh mentioned Cindy Stowell and then started pulling for him to go deep. It made for another awkward interview segment but I respect the shout-out.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.