Wednesday, January 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6293, 2012-01-18

CONTESTANTS
Zach May, a software engineer from West Liberty, Kentucky
Debra McGuire, a homemaker and micro farmer from Princeton, Texas
Amy Stephenson, a writer and editor from Sunnyside, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, everyone, and welcome to our show. Amy benefitted on yesterday's program--she wasn't the leader, was far off, as a matter of fact, but she benefitted by a good wager and a correct response in Final. Debra and Zach are here today to challenge. So I'll wish all three of you good luck. I'll direct your attention to the board as we pop in the dollar figures, and now we begin revealing the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIC DATES (5/5)
SPORTS SHORTS (4/5)
ONE LETTER DIFFERENT (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words different by only one letter.)
THE LAND (5/5)
OF MILK (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
& HONEY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Zach: 16 R, 1 W
Amy: 6 R, 1 W
Debra: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Debra found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Amy had $200, Debra had $2,200, and Zach was at $1,800. Debra made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

OF MILK $1000: Mongolians cool off with airag, a slightly fermented version of this alliterative liquid
(Debra: What is... yogurt?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Zach: $3,600
Amy: $1,400
Debra: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Zach May is from Kentucky, and he wants to use this opportunity as a contestant on national television on Jeopardy! to come clean about...?

Zach: My wife Casey and I have--since we met, uh, a couple of years ago--we've been telling our family that we met at a bookstore--a nice, sensible place for nerds to meet. In fact, and I don't know why we were embarrassed about this, but we actually met on the Internet.

Alex: Shame on you.

[Laughter]

Zach: I know. I'm a computer guy. I shouldn't be embarrassed, but for some reason, we were just like, "Oh, we can't tell them that."

Alex: Well, you've just told them.

Zach: We've told a lot of other people, too.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Debra McGuire from Princeton, Texas, has a handwritten journal of what?

Debra: It's a recipe book, uh, of medical... prescriptions, um, that my great-grandfather had written down--

Alex: Homeopathic-type stuff?

Debra: A-actually, yes. Um--

Alex: Does it--do a lot of them work?

Debra: Apparently. A lot of them are made up of the exact same thing that, um, modern-day homeopathic r-recipes are made of.

Alex: Okay, but have you ever tried any of these recipes in that book?

Debra: Mm, no.

Alex: Oh, all right. Don't trust your ancestors, I see.

Alex: Amy Stephenson--writer and editor from New York, who is an avid knitter.

Amy: Yes.

Alex: But not just socks or scarves. You knit exotic things. What?

Amy: I knitted a pair of kidneys. [Chuckles]

Alex: With what purpose in mind?

Amy: Uh, well, really, more as a sort of moral support. I have a friend who had survived reproductive cancer. I had previously knitted her a womb. So a few months after I did that, her father was diagnosed with kidney cancer, and she said, "Could you knit some kidneys?" So I came up with a pattern--kidneys, ureters, blood vessels. Uh, he made a great recovery. Uh, he's doing fantastically. And he was recently on local TV with his kidneys.

Alex: I won't tell you what my ailments are.

[Laughs]

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPORTS SHORTS $800: He split 2 1980 title fights with Roberto Duran
(Debra: Who is Mike Tyson?)
(Zach: Who is George Foreman?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Zach: $7,400
Amy: $3,000
Debra: $1,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANY FIRST WORDS? (5/5)
SYMBOLOGY (5/5)
POP CULTURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MISCELLAN"IUM" (4/5)
OLD VIRGINIA (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BARTLETT'S PAIRS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amy: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Zach: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Debra: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Amy had $11,400, Debra had $400, and Zach was at $8,200. Amy wagered $3,000.

POP CULTURE $2000: This late country singer called his autobiography "Thirty Years of Sausage, Fifty Years of Ham"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Zach who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Amy had $17,200, Debra had $1,600, and Zach was at $13,800. Zach wagered $3,400.

OLD VIRGINIA $1200: In 1699 the capital of Virginia was moved from Jamestown to this city
(Zach: What is Richmond?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MISCELLAN"IUM" $2000: It's the muscle tissue that forms the middle layer of the heart's walls
(Zach: What is the cardium?)
(Amy: What is the pericardium?)

BARTLETT'S PAIRS $2000: The first of this French playwright's 2 quotes begins, "A great nose indicates a great man"
(Alex: That's from "Cyrano de Bergerac", and [*] was the author.)

OLD VIRGINIA $1600: In 1763 this gifted orator & lawyer presented the "Parson's Cause", an early test case of royal authority

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amy: $17,600
Zach: $10,400
Debra: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FATHERS & SONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Amy: Wager $3,201 to cover Zach, but no more than $8,799 so as not to fall behind Debra's doubled score.
Zach: You have the hope of surpassing Amy if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,201 to force Amy to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $1,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Debra.
Debra: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The island where this man's son washed ashore was later named Ikaria

FINAL SCORES
Debra: $4,400 + $2,001 = $6,401 (Who was Daedalus?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Zach: $10,400 - $10,400 = $0 (Who is Cook?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Amy: $17,600 - $3,201 = $14,399 (Who is PhilePhilemon) (2-day champion: $32,799)
(Alex: [revealing Debra's response] [*] and his son Icarus. Icarus, of course, flew too close to the sun. Bad news for him.)
(Alex: [revealing Zach's response] Thinking of who, Captain Cook?)
(Zach: Sure.)
(Alex: Sure. [Laughs])

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amy: $16,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Zach: $13,800, 25 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Debra: $6,600, 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Zach: 25/59 = .424
Amy: 18/59 = .305
Debra: 12/59 = .203
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OF MILK $800: Canned milk that has 60% of the water removed is known by this 10-letter term
(Amy: What is condensed?)

& HONEY $400: & Honey, if you get a chance, could you wash my favorite pants? You know, the ones named for that 19th century woman

ANY FIRST WORDS? $2000: Jung was fond of this word, an original pattern from which all similar things are based
(Debra: What is a prototype?)

POP CULTURE $400: He's the transatlantic TV, film & stand-up comic seen here

SYMBOLOGY $400: On a map

SYMBOLOGY $800: In math, this set

SYMBOLOGY $1200: In a weather report (keep your response P.C.)

SYMBOLOGY $1600: In astrology

SYMBOLOGY $2000: In particle physics

CORRECT RESPONSES
mare's milk
Sugar Ray Leonard
Jimmy Dean
Williamsburg
myocardium
Edmond Rostand
Patrick Henry
Daedalus
evaporated
bloomers
an archetype
Ricky Gervais
a capital
the null set (or empty set)
partly cloudy
Venus
an alpha particle

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Fathers & Sons
The island where this man's son washed ashore was later named Ikaria.
Spoiler
Who is Daedalus? Zach said Cook; Amy said Philemon
Amy Stephenson: $17,600-$3,201=$14,399...now a 2-day champion with $32,799
Zach May: $10,400-$10,400
Debra McGuire: $4,400+$2,001
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

12 right in the first round, I choked in DJ, getting only 7. So that is 19. Still though I believe that is my second best score. I HATE myself for missing the Hughes one, I was thinking amendment instead of chief justice. And you know what really bothers me? I kill it with Surpeme Court stuff and am really good with chief justices too. I knew Hughes was one, just wasn't thinking. I also thought of Edmond Rodstand for Cyrano De Bergerac but Rodstand didn't sound French. I could've gotten to 21 and a new high score. Oh well. I will get there.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I don't say this often -- lord knows I miss my fair share of gimmes -- but when spotted an island named "Ikaria", how was this not a triple-get?

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Jeopardy has been preempted in the Detroit area for the State of the State address.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

xxaaaxx wrote:I don't say this often -- lord knows I miss my fair share of gimmes -- but when spotted an island named "Ikaria", how was this not a triple-get?
I admit that it took a second because I was focusing on the "washed ashore" - but then I thought of Icarus and saw it said Ikaria and ding!

I love the name Edmond "Rodstand."

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Icarus was not hard to get. The father's name is harder to get. DO you remember the king's name?

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Just to add, any of you remember the first DD in DJ?

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

CyrusChan wrote:Icarus was not hard to get. The father's name is harder to get. DO you remember the king's name?
Going back to the Archive, clues asking for Icarus's father have had values of $200, $1600, $1600, $400, and pre-doubling $500 and $400. (This does not include clues about the labrynth). So clearly the writers have previously not found it a terribly challenging fact, though the value range is pretty strange....

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lisa0012 wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:Icarus was not hard to get. The father's name is harder to get. DO you remember the king's name?
Going back to the Archive, clues asking for Icarus's father have had values of $200, $1600, $1600, $400, and pre-doubling $500 and $400. (This does not include clues about the labrynth). So clearly the writers have previously not found it a terribly challenging fact, though the value range is pretty strange....
how do you search specific "terms" and which archive are you using?

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

CyrusChan wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
how do you search specific "terms" and which archive are you using?
A group of amazing people compiles an archive of Jeopardy! games, which can be found at http://www.j-archive.com/. From there you can do searches of words or phrases to see when or how often things have been asked on the show. You can also find a wagering calculator, definitions of terms, and other nifty features.

alamble

Post by alamble »

If you remember that the Minotaur was the beast at the center of the Labyrinth, then King Minos should not be hard to recall. Took me a second to connect Ikaria and Icarus, but the story of Daedalus and Icarus should be high on the list of mythology to study.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lisa0012 wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
A group of amazing people compiles an archive of Jeopardy! games, which can be found at http://www.j-archive.com/. From there you can do searches of words or phrases to see when or how often things have been asked on the show. You can also find a wagering calculator, definitions of terms, and other nifty features.
Haha, I never saw the search option there! silly me! thanks nonetheless!

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

xxaaaxx wrote:I don't say this often -- lord knows I miss my fair share of gimmes -- but when spotted an island named "Ikaria", how was this not a triple-get?
Because they don't count "Who was Icarus' father?" (That was my response, although I wasn't a contestant in tonight's game.)
CyrusChan wrote:how do you search specific "terms" and which archive are you using?
There may be many archives. But there is one Archive.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I found this game painful to watch for two reasons:

1. Debra couldn't seem to get going between Amy and whatshisname.

and

2. Whatshisname wouldn't STAND STILL!!!!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

14/30, 11/30.

I hate those "He's the person seen here" clues that give only the vaguest info on the person. Don't they realize some people have prosopagnosia? (Doesn't really matter since I've never seen a picture of Ricky Gervais before anyway.)

I saw "Ikaria" and thought Icarus->Daedalus right away, but backed away because the clue gave literally no hint that they were looking for someone fictitious. Evil evil clue.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

alamble wrote:
If you remember that the Minotaur was the beast at the center of the Labyrinth, then King Minos should not be hard to recall. Took me a second to connect Ikaria and Icarus, but the story of Daedalus and Icarus should be high on the list of mythology to study.

I agree with you that it is high on the list of myths. I got Icarus immediately and prompted 3-5 more seconds to make sure Daedalus was the father. I remember that because the beginning of his name resembles dad, so I confirmed my answer. What other myths would you say are pretty high on that list?

I'm thinking Hercules' labors with Atlas,Cerberus, apples are up there as well.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Maybe it's just because I have a nasty head cold, but I couldn't even come up with a guess for FJ. This does not bode well for the online test, which I'm scheduled to take in about an hour.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

lisa0012 wrote:A group of amazing people compiles the Archive of Jeopardy! games, which can be found at http://www.j-archive.com/. From there you can do searches of words or phrases to see when or how often things have been asked on the show. You can also find a wagering calculator, definitions of terms, and other nifty features.
Fixed.

Brian