Wednesday, January 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billy pilgrim »

Volante wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Well, considering that 99.99999% of what I do put down is dead wrong...
Well, considering that 100% of FJ non-responses are dead wrong...
Jeopardy! writers decide to troll us. Make "What is (blank)?" acceptable answer. TPH only one to get it right on weekly poll. Cats and dogs begin living together. 8-)
Final Category: Mountains
Clue: This Alpen mont is named for its color

TPH: What is ------- ?

Alex: Yes, Mont Blank!
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

An infertile man is said to be shooting these.

TPH: What are _ _ _ _ _?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Dumb Dora was SO DUMB..."

"How dumb was she?"

"She was so dumb, that when asked for the capital of Switzerland on Final Jeopardy!, she put down ______."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Dumb Dora was SO DUMB..."

"How dumb was she?"

"She was so dumb, that when asked for the capital of Switzerland on Final Jeopardy!, she put down ______."
Would that be a Swiss blank? Anyway, I always thought the capital of Switzerland was S.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:Anyway, I always thought the capital of Switzerland was S.
As Rayburn himself might say, that would be the "definitive answer."
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Sorry, Dora, you forgot to phrase it in hte form of a question.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bomtr wrote:You think there's a chance this guy's wax wings melted cuz he flew too close to the sun?
We don't have enough information to ascertain this. NO information, really. I guess you could say we're dataless.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i'm a little behind, but debra, congrats on a really fine showing. that's bad luck on the mare's milk, of course, but your wagering was spot-on. and i'm glad you got the FJ (again with a fine, well-reasoned wager). on a different day, things might have worked out better for you, although i was quite impressed by amy as well.

i'm no linguist, but if memory serves, turkish and mongolian are altaic languages, whereas finnish and estonian belong to the finno-ugric family, so while i'm sure the turkish mare's milk concoction you had was related to the mongolian word in the DD clue, i'm less sure about whether baltic milk words have anything to do with it.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

debramc wrote:But that was a case of a she-wolf voluntarily adopting them. Try putting her in a pen and pulling on her teats and see what happens!
Yeah, that's not as fun as it sounds.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

jpahk wrote:
i'm no linguist, but if memory serves, turkish and mongolian are altaic languages, whereas finnish and estonian belong to the finno-ugric family, so while i'm sure the turkish mare's milk concoction you had was related to the mongolian word in the DD clue, i'm less sure about whether baltic milk words have anything to do with it.
Latvian lactose?
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

jpahk wrote:i'm a little behind, but debra, congrats on a really fine showing. that's bad luck on the mare's milk, of course, but your wagering was spot-on. and i'm glad you got the FJ (again with a fine, well-reasoned wager). on a different day, things might have worked out better for you, although i was quite impressed by amy as well.

Thanks, Joon! It means a lot for great players like you and Stefan to say I did well. Amy was a formidable opponent (Zach too) and she was so calm in all her games. That was a little unnerving. I liked her very much and in fact shared a cab ride with her and her boyfriend?/husband? back to the hotel. They were both super enjoyable to visit with.
I'm no linguist either, just a very casual hobbyist at it, but I was under the impression that finno-ugric and altaic were closely related. Maybe they are two different language families in a larger "order" or "class", if you will (I'm sure there's a real linguistic term for that but I'm too lazy to look right now.) Like English & German are both in the Germanic family, and Portuguese and Romanian in the Romance family, but both those families are in something bigger (Indo-european?) Anyway, I'll have to go investigate that, but at the time, at least, I was under the impression that all those languages were more closely related to each other than to any other European languages for sure.
And I think maybe the key to getting the mare's milk question was stepping out of the dairy product frame of mind and into the realm of "What is the most common animal in this culture?" I know that Mongolia=horses, and if I'd just thought of that at the time I'd have gotten it. I suspect if I'd first seen the clue in the comfort of my living room I'd have gotten it right away and been yelling at the tv and feeling superior in my knowledge that yes, people somewhere drink mare's milk. I will forever have much more sympathy when people blow what seems to be an easy question, because I now know how very much different it is when the lights are on and everyone's looking at you, and those words are just so tiny and so far away...
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

debramc wrote:I suspect if I'd first seen the clue in the comfort of my living room I'd have gotten it right away and been yelling at the tv and feeling superior in my knowledge that yes, people somewhere drink mare's milk. I will forever have much more sympathy when people blow what seems to be an easy question, because I now know how very much different it is when the lights are on and everyone's looking at you, and those words are just so tiny and so far away...
i couldn't agree more. i tanked a TDD in similar fashion in my 3rd game, essentially boiling down to "what hockey team plays near windsor, ontario". if i'd thought about it that way, i would have picked it up pretty easily, but i semi-panicked when i saw that the clue was about hockey (as opposed to any other major sport, which would have been much more in my wheelhouse), then desperately latched onto "ontario" instead of "windsor" (or even "border cities", which honestly, i just noticed for the first time re-reading the clue today). it definitely could've cost me the game, but luck was on my side that day.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

jeff6286 wrote:

"How dumb was she?"

Would that be a Swiss blank? Anyway, I always thought the capital of Switzerland was S.
And I thought the capital of Switzerland was franc.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instead of Good Food, I said Dine Fine. Judges?

Like bpmod, I said "Who is Icarus; dad" on FJ.

Here's a handy hint to help keep the two JM presidents straight: They served in alphabetical order.

I'll just join the chorus of those saying any response that sounds remotely plausible is better than a blank screen. I go the one a few days ago about
Spoiler
canola oil
by just guessing something that made sense.

I will admit I thought of Henry Hudson first, then remembered his crew was never found.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

plasticene wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:

"How dumb was she?"

And I thought the capital of Switzerland was franc.
Please step forward and claim your one (1) internets.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Here's a handy hint to help keep the two JM presidents straight: They served in alphabetical order.
Yeah, but that doesn't help you figure out which was was the "War of 1812" president. (For that matter, what was remarkable about Monroe's presidency? The song that I use to memorize the presidents only has the line "James Monroe's / colossal nose / was bigger than / Pinocchio's" for the fifth president, not much help there.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Volante wrote:
bomtr wrote:
Volante wrote: Now, I've got a dog in this race, but I would much rather have preferred a clue summarized as "...milk from this animal..." rather than have them get cutesy with the clue's wording for a specific response.
calling Reddpen...
:?:

I'm with you, Volante. I know bomtr. Bomtr is a friend of mine, even though he's ahead of me in this month's TQOTD standings on sploofus. And though I could speculate, I have no idea what he's talking about here. Just glad I wasn't the only one who got stuck in yak yogurt.
In and out of the pool four times
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Paucle wrote:
bomtr wrote:You think there's a chance this guy's wax wings melted cuz he flew too close to the sun?
We don't have enough information to ascertain this. NO information, really. I guess you could say we're dataless.
Paucle for the win!
Also, I keep all my mloney in Swiss blanks.
In and out of the pool four times
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

jpahk wrote:i'm a little behind, but debra, congrats on a really fine showing. that's bad luck on the mare's milk, of course, but your wagering was spot-on. and i'm glad you got the FJ (again with a fine, well-reasoned wager). on a different day, things might have worked out better for you, although i was quite impressed by amy as well.
Ditto...I just watched this last night (oh the wonders of DVR), but congrats on nailing a tough FJ! (at least for me, as I took about 29.9 seconds to remember Icarus' father. At least when you play at home you can be instantaneously right/wrong, as opposed to having to write it down...) I hope the experience was otherwise everything you hoped it'd be!
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.