FJs for the 10/22/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/22/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:00 pm

In a hint of the future, in 1973 Marjorie Post gave it to the U.S. government as a warm-weather presidential retreat, but it was returned
55%
This “creature of evil, grim and fierce, was quickly ready, savage and cruel, and seized from their rest thirty thanes”
72%
Also a judicial capital, this aptly named city is known for an annual rose festival that began in 1976
78%
The 2-word name of this black & orange or black & golden state bird derives in part from the Latin for “golden”
78%
Legend says this, weighing 336 lbs., came from the Holy Land & Kenneth MacAlpin brought it to Perthshire c. 840
51%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
VARIOUS COWBOYS $2000: This “Singing Cowboy” had a huge hit singing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”
79%
I'M BESIDE MYSELF! $1200: In “The Last Action Hero”, this actor tells himself “You’ve brought me nothing but pain”
56%
SAY THE WORD $2000: One of the last entries in the dictionary is this enzyme in yeast that promotes fermentation
8%
For the Monday FJ! clue I knew it was President Trump's retreat, but did not know the name.
8%
For the Monday FJ! clue I would have known Mar-a-Lago if I had realized I needed President Trump's retreat.
28%
Beowulf was my incorrect response for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
21%
I guessed the wrong city in South Africa for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
12%
I had "oriole" only for the Thursday FJ! clue in missing the 2-word requirement.
13%
Blarney Stone was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
20%

Total votes: 120

Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/22/18 week

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Blarney Stone
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Blarney Stone on Friday.
I would prefer not to.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Monday: Knew what they wanted, couldn't remember the name.
Friday: Blarney Stone. I know the Stone of Scone is a thing that exists, but that was the extent of my knowledge. Never would have guessed it.

Zymase: Figured it probably started with Zy, but even if I'd remembered -ase for enzymes, I wouldn't have known which letter to stick in the middle.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Got all but Zymase. I do wonder why they didn't instead write a clue asking for Zymurgy? It's a later entry for one thing, and "from aardvark to zymurgy" is a familiar phrase, as witness episode 55 of "My Name's McGooley, What's Yours?" in 1967.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday - Mar-Lago (muffed the name)
Tuesday - Beowulf
Friday - My guess was so off I'm not going to post it :oops:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 am Friday - My guess was so off I'm not going to post it :oops:
I admitted after a few days waiting time that I couldn't come up with anything but "Watergate" for Monday's FJ. :|

All I had to go on was "early 70's", "place", and "in the news". Obviously the other parts of the clue completely proved my answer wrong, but I wouldn't have been able to come up with anything else. Your Friday guess probably wouldn't be as bad as mine was.

For me this week, I got 1/4 (Bloemfontein). 4 because I didn't play Thursday's, and I couldn't say if I would have gotten it right or not. Most of my correct FJ answers are lucky guesses anyway.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

That Mar-a-lago clue messed up a remarkably good run of FJ success for me. I last missed on October 2nd (Ben Affleck oscar question). I got lost on this one, missing the clues, and ended up answering Guantanamo bay. Not exactly the warm weather retreat Trump prefers.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

5 for 5 on FJ

Did not get, and have never heard of zymase.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I instantly wrote down Beowulf on Tuesday, forgetting that the clue hinted towards the monster of the story. Cost me a 5/5 week.

Zymase is a NHO from me also.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

boson wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:45 am That Mar-a-lago clue messed up a remarkably good run of FJ success for me. I last missed on October 2nd (Ben Affleck oscar question). I got lost on this one, missing the clues, and ended up answering Guantanamo bay. Not exactly the warm weather retreat Trump prefers.
Gitmo was my guess too.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I guessed the Western White House for the presidential retreat, even though I knew it didn't seem to fit the "in a hint of the future" part of the clue. I never knew that Mar-a-Lago was a presidential retreat before Trump's time in office.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Just Sunday evening (2 days after this game) I tuned in to an episode of my favorite guilty pleasure "Ancient Aliens." The episode had to do with symbols of royal authority (throne, crown, scepter, etc.) And there, big as life, was mention (with film footage) of the Stone of Scone as it was used in the coronation of QEII. I had seen it before but forgotten, and this was a nice reminder, which came only two days late to help me in Friday's J! game. (when I remembered the correct answer too late into the think music to be able to write it down). Poop.

And yet, zymase was an instaget.

Dear lord, how my brain works one time and not the next.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bibliophage wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:11 am I guessed the Western White House for the presidential retreat, even though I knew it didn't seem to fit the "in a hint of the future" part of the clue. I never knew that Mar-a-Lago was a presidential retreat before Trump's time in office.
It wasn't. It was, and is, one of Trump's personal residences. It has no official standing.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Nowhere close to getting Mar-a-Lago. I think I guessed Guam or something like that. I think my guess on Friday was Excalibur, which was a pretty bad guess now that I reread the question.

3142353, 21-14
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: derp
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( coulda given me all day on this one.