Tuesday, October 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TODAY’S INNOVATORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Ballbarrow was an early invention by this British man who’s had greater success with sophisticated household devices

FJ! clue image:
Spoiler
Tori Campbell: 14200-6000=8200
Allen Adams: 17700-10777=6923
Emily Frey: 10000+7701=17701 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(James) Dyson (Tori – Elon Musk) (Allen – Elon Richard Branson)

Daily Doubles
Allen: 2600+1000
Emily: 1600+2000
Allen: 6600+3500

Coryats
Tori: 14200
Allen: 15800
Emily: 9600

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tori: 5400
Allen: 7800
Emily: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Allen played well although saying that EPONYMOUSE category name was not for him.

No way I solve the FJ! clue without the image. With it I could picture where to go after getting a good look at it again. It was an easy switch to cross out the "Bran" I had on my paper. Off the category I expected Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.

Nice win by Emily from third place on the sole solve. With Tori so close to Allen he was going to lose even if he farmed DD3.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I identify with the champ. I used to read atlases all the time.

Ran the '60s Rock category. "Suspicious Minds" is my favorite Elvis song, so no way was I missing that.

Got all but the $1,000 in Etymology and Eponymouse.

Picture the Play was tough. I didn't recognize any of the titles and even when they were given, I wasn't processing the images as such. $200 still doesn't look remotely like glass to me.

I completely fell apart in DJ! That was an extremely tough board. I probably would've had a few of them, but I kept mentally derping the 3 F category (I heard "three S" at first so I missed "fluff"), but the material just wasn't on my side. I was 0/30 on the DJ! board.

British guy known for inventing household devices? Not a clue. Didn't know Dyson was British. The "ballbarrow" meant nothing to me since I've never seen a Dyson vacuum. "Household devices" had me thinking of Ronco type stuff, not of vacuums, especially since I encounter vacuums in more places than just houses. And I don't think of vacuum guys as inventors. Was David Oreck an "inventor"? Was Melville Bissell an "inventor"? I don't think of either as such.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I correctly figured that it was someone to do with vacuums... just couldn't get which vacuum guy. I went with Kirby, thinking the picture looked old-timey. Turns out he wasn't British anyway. Ah well.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

I will say it definitely helped me to have seen Dyson commercials to know he has a British accent.
Leander

Post by Leander »

FJ an instaget for me, even playing off the clue of the day without the picture. “Ball” was enough to get me to Dyson.

I thought the Art category harder than normal.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

How exactly did Alex explain the "3 F Club" category? "chieF oF staFF" has four Fs. When they say things like "each correct response will have n Xs", have they ever meant "at least n Xs" rather than "exactly n Xs"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Also had no clue Dyson was British. Never was getting this one.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

It's frustrating watching J! when I'm tired. I got as far as "the vacuum guy from the commercials" but I couldn't pull his name. The same thing happened to me on some other clues today.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:04 pm It's frustrating watching J! when I'm tired. I got as far as "the vacuum guy from the commercials" but I couldn't pull his name. The same thing happened to me on some other clues today.
Same for me and I'm not even that tired! There was a period (I suppose last December) when the commercials were pervasive (maybe even on J!?) but it seems like I haven't seen one in months, so I just blanked. But even if I'd remembered, it would have been solely from "British man...household devices." (A name that did run through my head was Terence Conran, who used to have furniture stores in the US...) Never paid enough attention to know that there were balls on Dyson's vacuums...
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Picture the Play (1), National Memorials (4), Etymology (3), '60s Music Potpourri (5), A Bit Old Fashion (1), Eponymouse (3)
No Oscar for You! (4), Art for Art's Sake (3), African Geography (5), The 3 F Club (3), The Cardinal Rules (4), Journalism (3)

Lach Trash: Cape Town, Richard Burton; Cardinal Richelieu

Richard Branson was the only name I could think of; not really familiar with Dyson vacuums.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

For the archivist, my vote goes to that being a Chekov pun in the wording of the Cherry Orchard clue.

Once Trebek said 'ball' I had Dyson.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Tall and tan and young and lovely, the girl from Eponymouse goes walking...

Dyson came to mind immediately and I couldn't think of anyone better. Now that I think about it, the Ballbarrow was a bigger TOM than I first realized, since I remember those Dyson commercials touting vacuums with a similar ball as part of the design. I haven't seen one of those commercials in a few years, though.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wow, Emily

A very even match actually, with small surges. I really wish TPTB would add a graphic showing player scores in the corner or bottom of the screen. 3 little yellow boxes and have the player's box that won the buzzer turn green (or whatever) while they are answering. It would add a lot of game interest at zero sacrifice.

I don't know the connection of Dyson and balls (restraint, please). I do know about the great physicist and the Dyson sphere, it turns out he is British. There's actually some videos of Freeman Dyson talking about the heady days of Quantum Chromodynamics in the 50's that are pretty cool including an anecdote about Fermi during the war.

I grasped at appliance names and kept cycling to Kenmore and rejecting it due to the association with Sears and Roebuck. Finally settled on "Hoover", which has become a verb due to it's dominance. Nope, invented in Ohio by Spangler and patent sold to cousin William Hoover in 1907. The resemblance to a correct answer is an accident.

I agree the art questions were above average. Saturn, seriously? I couldn't seem to get a rhythm for the etymology clues, but knew them all given enough time.

Good luck, champ. well played.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Well... that FJ sucked.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think the problem for me with this FJ! is that none of the pieces were filed in the correct spots in my brain.

The only result I could come up with for "Household devices" + "British" was Anthony Sullivan, who seemed too obscure to be an FJ! response in my mind.

Even when the Dyson dude was revealed, I didn't think that was right because I didn't know he invented it too. I thought that he was also just a pitchman, and for some reason, I didn't think any of the other famous vacuum guys (again, David Oreck comes to mind) had invented their products either. And even knowing that they did, I still don't think of them as "inventors" since to me that term usually implies a more scientific or technological bent, not a promotional one.

And finally, "household devices" had me thinking either appliances like washers and dryers, or again, as-seen-on-TV type stuff. Since I also encounter vacuum cleaners frequently in settings such as offices, hotels, and stores, I just don't think of them as strictly "household" items.

To be fair, I do know about the significance of balls (heh) in the design of Dyson vacuums, but since I wasn't anywhere remotely close to this one mentally, the "ballbarrow" went over my head entirely. I've also encountered those funky Dyson hand dryers, but since they're not vacuums, I never made the connection that it was the same company behind both.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Vowela wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:33 pm I correctly figured that it was someone to do with vacuums... just couldn't get which vacuum guy. I went with Kirby, thinking the picture looked old-timey. Turns out he wasn't British anyway. Ah well.
same for me...but dyson never came to mind...actually..not even sure if i had ever heard of dyson before...only dyson with which i am familiar is the dude who was 1 yard short from winning the super bowl against the rams