Thursday, November 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

jev15 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm
Any reason I should know Minor for $200 was home runs and not any other baseball stat?
The clue referenced Crash Davis, Kevin Costner's character from Bull Durham who famously sets the minor league home run record during the events of the film. As you can imagine, it's something of a dubious honor since you have to be good enough to hang around without being good enough to make the major leagues.
I think the number was 433 over 20 years, which averages out to about 21 per year. That's far too few for something like hits or RBIs or strikeouts (which over a career would number in the thousands for records), and if you're winning 21 games a year as a pitcher, you're getting called up to the majors. I suppose 21 steals a season is pretty good, but the steals record is over twice that much (948).

A better answer would be - if they're asking about a baseball statistic, and it's not explicitly about a pitcher, they're probably asking about home runs.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

So I thought about Rhine/Danube, but the verbal parallel of Rhine/Rhone seemed very J!esque, so I went with that...If I'd known that the Rhone is in no way a German river... :oops:
I think I would have heard of a spoon cherry, quill cherry or pompon cherry if such fruits existed...I never hesitated knowing chrysanthemum is the symbol of Japan...
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:01 pm
pinkfreud wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 pm I'm glad I made it on J! when I was 51. I'm now 57, and I'm having more frequent responses such as the one for Turow:

"It's not Grisham. It's the other one, the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy." I was exactly correct, given that the movie was Reversal of Fortune and the guy was Claus von Bulow. I was picturing Jeremy Irons but couldn't think of his name, either.
I went through a similar thought process, except that "the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy" gave me a mental image of Harrison Ford in Presumed Innocent. I dredged up Scott Turow's name at the last second, but I doubt that I'd have had time to write it down if I had been a player. Alan Dershowitz and Reversal of Fortune never crossed my mind at all.
Holy cow, you're right, Scott Turow didn't even write Reversal of Fortune. D'oh!
Turow's only bestselling nonfiction book that has been a clue on J! is One L, about his first year at Harvard Law.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

A dentist isn't a medical professional.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 pm
jev15 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm
Any reason I should know Minor for $200 was home runs and not any other baseball stat?
The clue referenced Crash Davis, Kevin Costner's character from Bull Durham who famously sets the minor league home run record during the events of the film. As you can imagine, it's something of a dubious honor since you have to be good enough to hang around without being good enough to make the major leagues.
I think the number was 433 over 20 years, which averages out to about 21 per year. That's far too few for something like hits or RBIs or strikeouts (which over a career would number in the thousands for records), and if you're winning 21 games a year as a pitcher, you're getting called up to the majors. I suppose 21 steals a season is pretty good, but the steals record is over twice that much (948).

A better answer would be - if they're asking about a baseball statistic, and it's not explicitly about a pitcher, they're probably asking about home runs.
I thought of passed balls on this one. That would have been a funny record to break in a comedy movie.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Vowela wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm Anyone join me and one of the contestants on the MASSIVELY HONKING HUGE "Cherry blossom" negbait on Flowers for $400? That was downright evil.
Gotta' agree with you here. It happens sometimes though.
Not this time. It's useful to remember that the emperor sits on the Chrysanthemum Throne. Plus the cherry blossom is not a flower. It is a blossom on a tree (like a magnolia blossom, etc.).

For me tonight, got LT with vivid, NBA, Tucson (WAG---WECIB), Pelopponesian (or however you spell it), Buddhism, hydrothermal. That's $7K, enough to go into final ahead of Jeff and Kathleen.

FJ: another "stick a pin in the map:" Rhine and what else? I knew there are lots of rivers but I ended up hoping it would be a really famous one. Yeah, Main and Elbe might work, but I stuck with Danube and ended up right. I'll take it.

Congrats to the champ. I haven't thought she looks like an exceptionally strong champ (so few really do) but you can't argue with three solid wins and a spot in the J! Players HoF with a bullet and still a chance to win more and even make it to the ToC. So yeah, there's that. You go, girl!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Kenny wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:44 pm Jeff missed his one chance at avoiding a runaway by not knowing his legal-thriller authors:
We should amend that to "Jeff missed one of his chances...." His final chance was in the penultimate clue of the DJ round. He needed that $2k to get back in the game. (Or he need Emily to buzz in and miss AND then he needed to get the final $400 clue at which point he'd have exactly half her score.) So from the couch, I desperation-buzzed in on his behalf. I didn't know the name of THESE VENTS WHOSE NAME COMES FROM THE GREEK FOR "WATER" AND "HOT". That didn't matter. Jeff's only play here is to buzz in and hope he can figure it out on the fly. So I buzzed in and made up the word "hydrothermal". It sounded like a thing. It met the conditions of the clue. I was only mildly surprised to hear that word come out of Alex's mouth a few seconds later.

I then went on to get FJ. So I would have won this game. From the couch. Under the lights? Yeah, no.

However, I did know Scott Turow, so I might have won via that route.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm Lach trash: vivid, Dreyer's, "Charity begins at Home Depot", Buddhism
I thought about throwing the judges for a loop by saying "Charity begins at Home Base". Home Base (or maybe HomeBase?) was a chain of hardware stores pretty much identical to Home Depot in the 1990s. It was a real Petco/PetSmart situation where you could barely remember which one was the one down the street and which one was a mile away. I think they'd have had to accept it since the clue didn't specify a current MEGA-HARDWARE STORE CHAIN. But I'm sure they weren't prepared for the response, so it would have been an initial neg followed by a reversal with someone else potentially getting $2k in unfair rebound dollars. The clue was a TS in the game, but I think any of the three players could have brought the clue home if spotted "Charity begins at Home Base" as an incorrect response. Especially since Alex would probably telegraph the fact that the response was only slightly off.

Speaking of that $2k seemed high for such an easy clue. But it was a TS, so I guess I'm wrong and the writers were right on this one.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Emily definitely knows what's a good look for her:
Spoiler
Maybe Game 4 will roll out another color. And another for Game 5? I'd love to see her in the TOC. She's got a good depth of knowledge and a way of making it look easy.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

The box could be "European Rivers" for $1 and I would still flail. Wrote Rhine and Rhone just to have something. Rivers in general are definitely something I need to bone up on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Vivid, NBA, Tucson, Madonna Lily, (Scott Turow), Portland, Urban, Peloponnesian, Cars, Buddhism, Hydrothermal
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 pm I'm glad I made it on J! when I was 51. I'm now 57, and I'm having more frequent responses such as the one for Turow:

"It's not Grisham. It's the other one, the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy." I was exactly correct, given that the movie was Reversal of Fortune and the guy was Claus von Bulow. I was picturing Jeremy Irons but couldn't think of his name, either.

Said Rhine and Elbe in FJ!--don't know the geography that well, so I picked two German rivers. Looking at a map, it's not the worst guess in the world.
I also matched you and Emily with Rhine and Elbe. First impulse was Rhine and Danube, but then thought it seemed too easy. My reasoning was then "Need to secure the northern border, so we're looking for two rivers running mostly north-south that we can build a road between." Figured the Danube was too far south and too much east-west to make a good northern border.

So much for reasoning it out.

Re the age issue -- you still have time for a repeat appearance. Even though Alex has re-upped, you'll still only be 61 when he leaves and you're re-eligible. I was 64 when I got the call and will be close to 70 when his new contract expires, so I'll be further along in my doddering than you will.

We've had one or two contestants from the Fleming era repeat; maybe you can be the first Trebek alum to return with his successor.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

The Minor Leagues (4), Brand Name Variations (3), The Declaration of Rights for Women (5), Q the Map (5), A Doctor in the House... or Senate (3),
Words from Roman Numerals (3)

The Big Leagues (4), TV Title Towns (3), Before & After (2), Flowers (1), Writers' Other Gigs (2), National Geographic Almanac 2019 (3)

Lach Trash: National Basketball Association (NBA), Tucson, urban, Buddhism

I had the Rhine and Rhone as well; I thought of changing Rhone to the Danube at the last minute, but decided not to.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:24 am A dentist isn't a medical professional.
Feel free to express this sentiment directly to one of them while you're in the chair.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Guessed Rhine & Oder for FJ.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 pm Grisham didn't seem right for that DD (was The Firm his first novel, or just the first one to be filmed?), but when you've never heard of the correct response, he's a better answer than nothing.
And in case anyone forgot or didn't know, Scott Turow appeared on Celeb J! in 2006. http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2820
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Ugh, I way overthought it and went Rhine and Spree.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

28,600 coryat. Instaget final.
I would prefer not to.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

trainman wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:24 am A dentist isn't a medical professional.
Feel free to express this sentiment directly to one of them while you're in the chair.
Excellent comment.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

trainman wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 pm
Is it safe?
OCSam