Thursday, November 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A northern limit of the Roman Empire was a fortified road in Germany stretching 350 miles between these 2 rivers

Emily Frey: 15600-1999=13601 (3x = $62,503)
Jeff Cotanese: 6800-0=6800
Kathleen Nance: 2200+2195=4395

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rhine & Danube (Emily – Rhine & Elbe) (Jeff – Rhone & Rhine)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 6200+800
Jeff: 4600-4600=0
Emily: 12600+1000

Coryats
Emily: 15200
Jeff: 11400
Kathleen: 2200

Combined: 28,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emily: 7000
Jeff: 4600
Kathleen: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff must not know the Ten Commandments of J!: Thou shalt not correct the host. Even if the wife is an ex-wife. Let it go.

PA & double NC left the show with a TS for the western counterpart for the ice cream clue. Giving both names and only asking for the product worked better for the Best Foods clue.

The FJ! clue was not for me as it was only going to be guess time. I got the one that all three players had while I went to Main to complete an incorrect response.

Too bad for Kathleen that she could not convert her sole solve into the 2nd place prize.

Jeff probably lost the game at DD2 as if he gets it then Emily could have insured the lead at DD3. I could see Jeff’s miss coming and told myself, “Watch him say it. He’s going to do it.” Sure enough he had the predictable miss on the legal lawyer writer toss-up that gets too many contestants.

Emily is on the tracker with a 3+1+L though no 2 yet.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Sigh. I ultimately matched MarkBarrett's answer.

"OK, which German rivers come up on Jeopardy? The Main and the Rhine for sure, right? And the Danube? But does the Danube even go through Germany? Everyone thinks so, and I used to think so too, but I remember looking at a map after missing the Danube FJ earlier in the year, and... does it run along the border? It might even originate in Switzerland and go straight into Austria. But would the Rhine and the Main be too close geographically to form a boundary that long? Well, I'll stick with Rhine / Main, and it's 65-35 I'm right..."

The good: depending on what happens tomorrow, I could have my first week of all $30,000+ Coryats.

The bad: depending on what happens tomorrow, I could have my first Box of Shame.

But Scott Turow is a good name to file away, as is the show title "Chicago Hope."
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Jeff missed his one chance at avoiding a runaway by not knowing his legal-thriller authors: John Grisham is most associated with Mississippi/Deep South and Scott Turow with Chicago. As it turned out, neither knew the two FJ rivers (only Kathleen, who was not a factor in the rest of the game), so it was moot.

My brother and his wife had taken a European river cruise a year ago that starts in Amsterdam, goes up the Rhine to Bavaria, then connects with the Danube via canal, and down the Danube through southern Germany, Austria and Hungary. So i instantly knew the two rivers that would have linked the Roman Empire's northern and southern regions from the North Sea to the Black Sea.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm glad I made it on J! when I was 51. I'm now 57, and I'm having more frequent responses such as the one for Turow:

"It's not Grisham. It's the other one, the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy." I was exactly correct, given that the movie was Reversal of Fortune and the guy was Claus von Bulow. I was picturing Jeremy Irons but couldn't think of his name, either.

Said Rhine and Elbe in FJ!--don't know the geography that well, so I picked two German rivers. Looking at a map, it's not the worst guess in the world.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Brand Name Variations category.

Anyone join me and one of the contestants on the MASSIVELY HONKING HUGE "Cherry blossom" negbait on Flowers for $400? That was downright evil.

Any reason I should know Minor for $200 was home runs and not any other baseball stat?

"Greek for water and hot" also stumped me because Greek roots always elude me when I need them.

Big Leagues was entirely unfamiliar to me.

I sat on this FJ! for five minutes and just stared blankly at it, unable to come up with anything. Even just going "German" + "river" in my brain turned up nothing.

Lach trash: vivid, Dreyer's, "Charity begins at Home Depot", Buddhism
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Don't say Grisham, don't say Gri---damnit." After years of making the same mistake, Turow's name finally stuck. Hooray! I wish I could say the same about Danube trivia. Pretty sure I've missed the last two or three FJs about it. *sigh*
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm Anyone join me and one of the contestants on the MASSIVELY HONKING HUGE "Cherry blossom" negbait on Flowers for $400? That was downright evil.
!*@&# no, I kept my mouth shut and was rewarded with the rebound. I sure as hell didn't recognize the varieties of flower mentioned, and "symbol of Japan" didn't narrow it down either.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm Anyone join me and one of the contestants on the MASSIVELY HONKING HUGE "Cherry blossom" negbait on Flowers for $400? That was downright evil.
Gotta' agree with you here. It happens sometimes though.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I wrote down Rhine and Danube but I was not 100% certain, because I thought it might be Rhine and Elbe.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Can't wait to go on the show someday and prove this silly correcting the host theory wrong once and for all! :lol:

Whatever the $600 clue was in the Roman Numeral category kept me from a perfect first round.. just a little too slow on the trigger. DJ played a lot tougher in the bottom two rows, IMO. Knew Grisham wasn't the answer for DD2.

Matched Jeff with Rhine and Rhone in Final. Oh well. Go Emily! Congrats on win #3!

As an aside, saw the Teen Tourney trailer on the site earlier today and I'm very much looking forward to it. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cherry blossoms are not negbait for Japan. The emperor sits on the Chrysanthemum throne.

The story of Rome and the Rhine is pretty amazing. Basically Julius Caesar built a bridge across the Rhine to prove he was a bad ass, crossed it, sacked a few villages, went back over it, and tore it down. A quick summary:

During Caesar's conquest of Gaul it became necessary to secure the eastern border of the new provinces against marauding Germanic tribes. The tribes felt safe on the eastern side of the Rhine river, trusting the river as a natural border which offered cover from retaliatory attack after their opportunistic raids into the province. Caesar decided to confront them. He also wanted to show support for the Ubians, an allied German tribe across the Rhine. While he could have crossed the river by boats which the Ubians had offered to provide, he decided to build a bridge, thus demonstrating Rome's ability to bring the fight at any time to the Germanic tribes and additionally, as he indicated in his Commentary on the Gallic War, this approach conformed more to his own dignity and style, than to anything else.

The construction of this bridge showed that Julius Caesar, and Rome, could go anywhere, if only for a few days. Since he had over 40,000 soldiers at his disposal, they built the first bridge in only 10 days using local lumber. He crossed with his troops over to the eastern site and burned some villages but found that the tribes of the Sugambri and Suebi had moved eastward. The tribes had come together and were prepared to meet Caesar's army in battle, but when Caesar heard of this he quickly left the region taking down the bridge behind him. He was only in the area for 18 days and without any major battle he returned to Gaul and cut the bridge down.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 pm Cherry blossoms are not negbait for Japan. The emperor sits on the Chrysanthemum throne.
That.

Not quite an instaget, but close.

The Rhone, despite the near-spelling of the Rhine, never enters Germany.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I settled on Danube pretty quickly. Then I had to think of the other. Went to "Rhine", then went to "Rhone", and may have went with the latter, unfortunately.
Last edited by JayK33 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 pm I'm glad I made it on J! when I was 51. I'm now 57, and I'm having more frequent responses such as the one for Turow:

"It's not Grisham. It's the other one, the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy." I was exactly correct, given that the movie was Reversal of Fortune and the guy was Claus von Bulow. I was picturing Jeremy Irons but couldn't think of his name, either.
I went through a similar thought process, except that "the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy" gave me a mental image of Harrison Ford in Presumed Innocent. I dredged up Scott Turow's name at the last second, but I doubt that I'd have had time to write it down if I had been a player. Alan Dershowitz and Reversal of Fortune never crossed my mind at all.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Add me to team "Okay, it's the Rhine and another one, and Jeopardy loves to ask about the Main, so I'll go with that." Maybe it was a Frankfurtified road...

Grisham didn't seem right for that DD (was The Firm his first novel, or just the first one to be filmed?), but when you've never heard of the correct response, he's a better answer than nothing.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another Rhine+Rhone. I think I just liked the wordplay too much there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:28 pm
Any reason I should know Minor for $200 was home runs and not any other baseball stat?
The clue referenced Crash Davis, Kevin Costner's character from Bull Durham who famously sets the minor league home run record during the events of the film. As you can imagine, it's something of a dubious honor since you have to be good enough to hang around without being good enough to make the major leagues.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

pinkfreud wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 pm I'm glad I made it on J! when I was 51. I'm now 57, and I'm having more frequent responses such as the one for Turow:

I went through a similar thought process, except that "the one who also wrote the book that was made into the movie about the guy" gave me a mental image of Harrison Ford in Presumed Innocent. I dredged up Scott Turow's name at the last second, but I doubt that I'd have had time to write it down if I had been a player. Alan Dershowitz and Reversal of Fortune never crossed my mind at all.
Holy cow, you're right, Scott Turow didn't even write Reversal of Fortune. D'oh!