Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 pm How is 'atmos' a TS? Pure 100% WECIB. :o
Julia Ward Howe was another easy TS.
FJ: iron > ferrum > Ferrari. Done. 8-)
never heard of that howe person before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:08 pm This easy FJ saved me from having to check the box of shame.

I really wish Alex would stop spoiling the result of Final ahead of time.
i actually missed this "easy" one...got 3 of the 4 earlier in think...for some reason didn't see the speed part of the clue and went with fendi
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 pm Has there ever been a champ from Prince Edward Island before?
I'm fairly certain he's the first. Oh well, I can live with being the second one day. *knocks on wood*

I'm glad I wasn't in his shoes though, because I missed FJ. I said Fiat, knowing it was probably wrong but blanking on names that started with "FE."
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:29 pm Didn't realize the last name was that common, but instaget.
Same (on the first part). It wasn't an instaget for me but "speed" really gave me two names to think about: Ferrari or Fiat. In the end the first one sounded better to me so I went with it.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

It's been a rough week for me so allow me this one. I muffed Monday by misplacing the comma on Midsummer Night's Dream and it went downhill from there.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:32 pm That was a dreadfully unsatisfying Final Jeopardy. When the champ botched the The Truman portrait, and the Challenger wound up on top of her, my first thought was that will ruin her if it's an easy final. And it turned out it was. But she didn't know how to wager in that situation, so it just didn't matter.
Ordinarily, I ignore everything you post, but you're so wrong on this, that well...Emily made the perfect wager in her position; not surprisingly, she knows more about wagering than you do.

However, as linear gnome pointed out, her big mistake was buzzing at all with an unassailable lead. Sure, the lights, but that game situation was pretty glaringly obvious. I like her, and until the last 30 seconds of the game, her play deserved another win.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm Alex announced the Teen Tournament starting on Wednesday. For those that like the orderly approach of the ten games M-F & M-F the move is necessary due to election coverage on Tuesday preempting the show in multiple markets.
KABC, for one, is bumping the Tuesday-Friday shows to Wednesday-Saturday, so the Teen Tournament won't actually start in L.A. until Thursday.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Sad to see Emily go. Jeopardy! needs more Russianists.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm Emily rocked the same look three games out of four, but this time didn't prove to be the charm.
Spoiler
I really liked Emily and am sorry to see her go, especially in a game where a single change would have made all the difference. I think she knew that Truman clue at the end and would have gotten it if she'd given herself half a second to think. That would have given her the game. Oh well. Jonathan is a worthy champ. And I liked Laura and her two-year-old traffic enthusiast as well. There wasn't really anyone to root against here and someone had to win.

A clue asked for the KING GAMES BIBLE LINE DO THIS "TO CAESAR THE THINGS THAT ARE CAESAR'S." The King James spec pins the language but still gives a couple of options. They accepted Emily's "What is Render?" as they should have. That's the version in Mark 12. But I hope they were also prepared to accept "What is Render therefore un" as the line appears in Matthew 22 and Luke 20. 8-)
i am the opposite...i am glad to see her bounced and gone...not a fan of people who must say the full name of the category...waste of time and could hinder the chances of revealing all clues
Ironic that she lost in a game where your complaint is irrelevant, and likely would have won if that hadn't been the case.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Boudoir, (Hamilton), Atrium, The Great Communicator, (The Wild Bunch), Atmosphere, Julia Ward Howe, Ampere

Only misses were the Mexican City(Negged with Ecatepec), Buffalo Bills, My Parlor, Home Office, Condor, and Render.

My second 50+ week on Jeopardy! :D
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Will miss rooting for Emily -- she was fun to watch. So was Jonathon; it will be interesting to see if he has an extended run.

For the Butch Cassidy DD, I immediately responded with "Hole-in-the-Wall Gang," then when the answer of "Wild Bunch" was revealed did my traditional forehead slap. If Peckinpah had ever made a movie about "Hole-in-the-Wall Gang" we could make a case for it, since it was a meta-gang than included the Wild Bunch, but the movie requirement tossed my answer into the dustbin.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm
Jonathan corrected Alex’s calling him a professional curler and changed it to semi-professional at best. Jonathan woulda/coulda/shoulda been defeated to uphold the silly jinx that’s fun to bring up, other than Emily’s unfortunate (for her) negging the game away to close the DJ! round.
Well, I just finished saying that Emily looked like a solid but not exceptionally strong player, and this kind of showed that to be true. I couldn't ID portraits of all of our presidents, but those within the lifetimes of many of us should be very gettable. FDR for Truman? Ouch. Tough way for her to bow out.

At least she went out with a perfect FJ wager.

Dang, but I had more misses than usual, esp. in the second round. Must be more discreet in trying to ring in. Remember Bob Harris's "8-fold path" to J! success---one of the highly recommended ways is to ring in only when you're pretty dad-gummed sure you've got the right answer. Guessing sometimes pays off, and often, well, not.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm Alex announced the Teen Tournament starting on Wednesday. For those that like the orderly approach of the ten games M-F & M-F the move is necessary due to election coverage on Tuesday preempting the show in multiple markets.
I did not make this connection, so thanks for clarifying. The election of course has been on the minds of millions of us for many weeks, and it promises to be a truly interesting day (and on into the night, and in all probability on into recount land in some venues).

Everybody out there: Vote early, vote often. And God Bless America.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

trainman wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:31 pm
KABC, for one, is bumping the Tuesday-Friday shows to Wednesday-Saturday, so the Teen Tournament won't actually start in L.A. until Thursday.
The TitanTV listings for KABC say they're showing Tuesday's at 2 am, with the Teen Tournament beginning at the normal time on Wednesday.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm traveling and played just the FJ from the board here. It is an unambiguous path to "Ferrum", but that led me to "Ferris" (figuring Farris would count also). But luckily that just doesn't sound Italian enough and while it doesn't seem like Ferrari is all that common, the one guy I know has speed and luxury associated with it.

Sorry to see Emily go, especially on an unforced error. I haven't seen the image she butchered, but unless there's a monocle, cigarette holder, or a wheelchair, I wouldn't expect younger folks to know Truman from Roosevelt by facial features. I don't think I could. Maybe, if it was the same as the image on the dime coin I could ID FDR, but not his face sans the cigarette holder.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:30 am Sorry to see Emily go, especially on an unforced error. I haven't seen the image she butchered, but unless there's a monocle, cigarette holder, or a wheelchair, I wouldn't expect younger folks to know Truman from Roosevelt by facial features. I don't think I could. Maybe, if it was the same as the image on the dime coin I could ID FDR, but not his face sans the cigarette holder.
"The [National Portrait Gallery] has the only complete gallery of presidential portraits outside the White House; here's this chief executive"
Spoiler
Spoiler
FWIW, I blurted out "that's Truman" the instant the picture appeared on the screen, before hearing the clue. Though at age 39, I'm not sure I'd meet your criteria for "younger folks" ;)
davey

Post by davey »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:30 am Sorry to see Emily go, especially on an unforced error. I haven't seen the image she butchered, but unless there's a monocle, cigarette holder, or a wheelchair, I wouldn't expect younger folks to know Truman from Roosevelt by facial features. I don't think I could. Maybe, if it was the same as the image on the dime coin I could ID FDR, but not his face sans the cigarette holder.
"The [National Portrait Gallery] has the only complete gallery of presidential portraits outside the White House; here's this chief executive"
Spoiler
Spoiler
FWIW, I blurted out "that's Truman" the instant the picture appeared on the screen, before hearing the clue. Though at age 39, I'm not sure I'd meet your criteria for "younger folks" ;)
And here's the NPG's painting for the other guy. If you need a prop, I guess you're safe, but he seems pretty distinctive to me. And no eyewear...
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 am
Spoiler
Spoiler
My guess is that she mistook the rail his arm was resting on for the arm of a wheelchair.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

econgator wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 am
My guess is that she mistook the rail his arm was resting on for the arm of a wheelchair.
I said FDR, and that is exactly why I did so.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Well, I'm 30, and my first instinct was FDR. The white hair, dark eyebrows, and rather austerely handsome face (and, perhaps, some sort of Bayesian prior that FDR is more iconic than Truman and thus arguably more likely to come up) nudged me there. But I kept looking at the face and a second later, well before Alex had finished reading the clue, I knew who they were going for.

It helps a little that my dad is a huge Harry Truman fan and that David McCullough biography, with a painting of Harry's face on the cover, was always lying around when I was a kid.