Wednesday, November 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Winner of 6 Tonys in 2017, it’s the first Broadway musical to focus on the subject of teens & social media

Emma Arnold: 15400+3000=18400
Anish Maddipoti: 6400-2800=3600
Maya Wright: 18200+8000=26200 (Semi-Finalist)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dear Evan Hansen (Anish – Hair)

Daily Doubles
Anish: 600+600
Anish: 6600-3000
Emma; 9000+2000

Coryats
Emma: 15400
Anish: 9200
Maya: 18200

Combined: 42,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Emma: 2200
Anish: 6200
Maya: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The opening graphics got a teen version:
Spoiler

The dab made me laugh.
The game had three different styles with Emma having a slow start, Anish yo-yo-ing and Maya consistent throughout.

The FJ! clue seemed to settle 2/9 spots for the semis unless something crazy happens. I had the correct musical on my short precall list for what the teens could be expected to know. When I saw the clue I matched Emma’s correct spelling.

The Archive surprised me with only one hit for the musical:
Spoiler
#7628, aired 2017-11-08 BROADWAY 2017 $1600: Ben Platt won the 2017 Tony for his performance as a high school senior coping with a classmate's death in this hit musical
as I would have taken the over. It must be through TD games, LL, and other game shows that it felt more familiar. This seems like a response that will garner some NHOI posts here as I won't argue that it can be easy to have Broadway & the Tony Awards not ping someone's radar.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:22 am

The Archive surprised me with only one hit for the musical:
Spoiler
#7628, aired 2017-11-08 BROADWAY 2017 $1600: Ben Platt won the 2017 Tony for his performance as a high school senior coping with a classmate's death in this hit musical
Spoiler
The actor in question has a Jeopardy connection:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... onah+platt

Jonah and Ben are brothers.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

So much for being 4/5 on FJs this week. I actually haven't heard of that musical. No guess.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have also not heard of that musical, though musicals are one of my worst categories.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I'm spoiled from two years ago and it feels weird seeing the Teen Tourney in the studio again as opposed to on location. Maya is a solid player, and nice work from Emma to shake off the slow start.

Saw some of the comments in here before watching and was a little worried about Final. Not a musical buff, but Z100 played LOTS of commercials for D.E.H. last year, so this one was simple. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
dansachs
Contributor

Post by dansachs »

How did we wind up in the middle of the Teen Tournament?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dansachs wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 pm How did we wind up in the middle of the Teen Tournament?
This was game one of the TT. Yesterday many markets had J! (regular play) preempted for election coverage so the powers waited to begin the tournament.

Nov. 7 - 20 avoids election day, stays within November sweeps (ends Nov. 21) and has play wrapped up before Thanksgiving. A win all around other than the confusion it always causes for those used to the M-F & M-F airings.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Also also have never heard of this musical. Couldn't come up with anything that made sense to guess.
dansachs
Contributor

Post by dansachs »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm
This was game one of the TT. Yesterday many markets had J! (regular play) preempted for election coverage so the powers waited to begin the tournament.

Nov. 7 - 20 avoids election day, stays within November sweeps (ends Nov. 21) and has play wrapped up before Thanksgiving. A win all around other than the confusion it always causes for those used to the M-F & M-F airings.
Thanks.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Asking about Mersenne Primes seems a bit much for high schoolers, no?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:22 pm Asking about Mersenne Primes seems a bit much for high schoolers, no?
I certainly knew about them in high school. One of my math teachers had a poster of one of the Mersenne primes on his wall.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:22 pm Asking about Mersenne Primes seems a bit much for high schoolers, no?
I don't think so. Asking for the generating function might be (I just remember it's an exponential form of 2 minus unity or something like that). But it was not so much a math question as a name recognition or word association question - You've only heard of Mersenne Primes, not Mersenne Radicals, or Mersenne Harmonics, or whatever. I think you do meet them in high school, although I don't know why.

I think I can generate the 16th Fibonacci number without a computer, lol..
Spoiler
a series of numbers in which each number ( Fibonacci number ) is the sum of the two preceding numbers. The simplest is the series 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, etc.
But I'm too old for a Fields medal. :(

GREAT FJ question - put some boardies in their place!!! I am anxious to see Maya's run now, very impressive and poised. And I think Emma crafted a better bet, but she had an easier decision.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Count me among the NHOI for Final. I'm not complaining; it appears this musical is well within the spectrum of what contestants could be expected to know. I am just that terrible with Broadway.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Maya's response of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" got me rooting for her.

I agree with twelvefootboy that asking about computation of the thirteenth Mersenne ______ is reasonable since there are so few types of numbers that make sense to fill in the blank.

FJ! is pretty much YEKIOYD, but some people may have heard of the show through its songs; for instance, my community choir recently sang a song from the show (You Will Be Found). I would have gotten FJ! anyway because I'm a major theatre geek who saw it on Broadway.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"Dear Evan Hansen" opened in L.A. fairly recently, so I've been seeing banners and posters and such around town.

Emma is enough of a pixie that I looked to see if she had pointed ears.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am Maya's response of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" got me rooting for her.
Same here.

There have been some ads for Dear Evan Hansen during Jeopardy! itself on WABC (NY). So thanks, whatever's been making WTNH's signal hard to watch. I didn't know it involved social media, but I knew it was a recent thing about teens. I swear it came up in LL recently, too (and I got it wrong, playing along the next day).

Was there a TOM in the UCLA clue other than the year that would lead one to the correct answer rather than USC? I clammed, since I didn't know USC is about 40 years older, but I feel like I may have missed something else.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dinghammer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am Maya's response of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" got me rooting for her.
Same here.

There have been some ads for Dear Evan Hansen during Jeopardy! itself on WABC (NY). So thanks, whatever's been making WTNH's signal hard to watch. I didn't know it involved social media, but I knew it was a recent thing about teens. I swear it came up in LL recently, too (and I got it wrong, playing along the next day).

Was there a TOM in the UCLA clue other than the year that would lead one to the correct answer rather than USC? I clammed, since I didn't know USC is about 40 years older, but I feel like I may have missed something else.
Well, the name change was a factor for me.
OCSam