Thursday, November 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Re: Thursday, November 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium »

DBear wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm French name + Russia +1812 = pure WECIB.
Pierre Bezukhov?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm
guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm Bummer on that FJ for Rotimi and Isabella - I wonder if they would have covered World History yet in school. I'm trying to remember back in the olden days - when we knew Napoleon personally - whether world history started in 9th or 10th grade.
The knowledge base of these kids definitely surpasses that of their peers by a significant margin, though, so I'm not sure that discussing Napoleon in class should really have any kind of bearing on their ability to come up with the correct response.
I think you're missing my point. Of course, they are very bright kids - it's why this tournament is so fun to watch - and yes, they obviously stand above their peers in terms of knowledge. But, they are still young and there is only so much knowledge you can soak up on your own at that age. My only point is that if they hadn't studied much European history yet, this FJ clue wasn't as easy as some others and was even a bit on the oblique side (like throwing in the name of the horse which who the heck would know anything about the horse's name??). Same thing if the question had involved trig or English literature or other subjects that tend to be studied later in high school - unless the question goes to something specific that a freshmen/first-year would have studied on their own, they're at a slight disadvantage.

I'm not complaining about it and I don't think Rotimi and Isabella would either; I'm just pointing out the reality where you have a range of a four year difference in age and exposure.
This FJ was not a case of knowing a horse's name, or a year. Knowing too much and overthinking was a disadvantage - you just had to go for the pop cultural icon. Russia is helpful if you know Waterloo is there (? is it?), and with the French sounding name (with AT's acccent) gave you up to four Pavlovs for Napoleon. I would not have included the "Bonaparte", so don't know if that would fly?
We might expect a Hitler clue to bookend this one. Don't overthink it - they won't ask these kids to know Hermann Goehring (or how to spell it, lol..)

I'm enjoying the teens more than I expected, especially when I get smoked on a whole category. This may be the wrong thread, but how weird was Alex's comment that the teen winner gets to keep the 100K?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am Russia is helpful if you know Waterloo is there (? is it?),
You misspelled Belgium.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am This FJ was not a case of knowing a horse's name, or a year. Knowing too much and overthinking was a disadvantage - you just had to go for the pop cultural icon. Russia is helpful if you know Waterloo is there (? is it?)
No. Waterloo is in Belgium (I initially said Netherlands, because it was part of United Netherlands at the time)--it was Napoleon's second downfall, after his return from Elba and the Hundred Days.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am This FJ was not a case of knowing a horse's name, or a year. Knowing too much and overthinking was a disadvantage - you just had to go for the pop cultural icon. Russia is helpful if you know Waterloo is there (? is it?), and with the French sounding name (with AT's acccent) gave you up to four Pavlovs for Napoleon.
Well, the year helps if you know the 1812 Overture commemorates Russia's victory over France.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:39 am Caleb is the best argument there's been in a while for putting the TT champion in the ToC.

If I ever get on and am in a situation where Jupiter is the correct response, I'm definitely saying "What is Jupiter?" to the tune of the first five notes of the horn part in the Holst piece.
Excellent choice! There won't be any copyright issues so they won't have to make you redo it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am This FJ was not a case of knowing a horse's name, or a year. Knowing too much and overthinking was a disadvantage - you just had to go for the pop cultural icon. Russia is helpful if you know Waterloo is there (? is it?), and with the French sounding name (with AT's acccent) gave you up to four Pavlovs for Napoleon.
Well, the year helps if you know the 1812 Overture commemorates Russia's victory over France.
That was my path to victory. Which means I can confidently state I would have gotten this clue as a teen. I read the back of that album cover in 8th grade.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm
guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm Bummer on that FJ for Rotimi and Isabella - I wonder if they would have covered World History yet in school. I'm trying to remember back in the olden days - when we knew Napoleon personally - whether world history started in 9th or 10th grade.
The knowledge base of these kids definitely surpasses that of their peers by a significant margin, though, so I'm not sure that discussing Napoleon in class should really have any kind of bearing on their ability to come up with the correct response.
I think you're missing my point. Of course, they are very bright kids - it's why this tournament is so fun to watch - and yes, they obviously stand above their peers in terms of knowledge. But, they are still young and there is only so much knowledge you can soak up on your own at that age. My only point is that if they hadn't studied much European history yet, this FJ clue wasn't as easy as some others and was even a bit on the oblique side (like throwing in the name of the horse which who the heck would know anything about the horse's name??). Same thing if the question had involved trig or English literature or other subjects that tend to be studied later in high school - unless the question goes to something specific that a freshmen/first-year would have studied on their own, they're at a slight disadvantage.

I'm not complaining about it and I don't think Rotimi and Isabella would either; I'm just pointing out the reality where you have a range of a four year difference in age and exposure.
This FJ was not a case of knowing a horse's name, or a year. Knowing too much and overthinking was a disadvantage - you just had to go for the pop cultural icon. Russia is helpful if you know Waterloo is there (? is it?), and with the French sounding name (with AT's acccent) gave you up to four Pavlovs for Napoleon. I would not have included the "Bonaparte", so don't know if that would fly?
We might expect a Hitler clue to bookend this one. Don't overthink it - they won't ask these kids to know Hermann Goehring (or how to spell it, lol..)

I'm enjoying the teens more than I expected, especially when I get smoked on a whole category. This may be the wrong thread, but how weird was Alex's comment that the teen winner gets to keep the 100K?
Waterloo is in Belgium.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Road signs ended up being my first run of the tournament, surprisingly.

Precalled Adventure Time in TV Characters, since I happened to be wearing them on my shirt. Didn't recognize anything else.

I thought pairing sonnets to Browning was obscure for the top box.

Jupiter/Saturn/Uranus/Neptune will always be an Achilles heel for me. No amount of mnemonics can make me remember which one is biggest, which one has rings, etc.

History clue? Yep, I'm gonna be 0/2 in the Teen Tournament. That horse name didn't sound remotely French to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:12 pm I thought pairing sonnets to Browning was obscure for the top box.
The clue wasn't "pairing sonnets to Browning." It quoted her most famous line from her most famous sonnet, gave the title of the famous collection it came from, and specified that the poet was female (and as far as I can tell they only ask about two female sonneteers).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:12 pm I thought pairing sonnets to Browning was obscure for the top box.
The clue wasn't "pairing sonnets to Browning." It quoted her most famous line from her most famous sonnet, gave the title of the famous collection it came from, and specified that the poet was female (and as far as I can tell they only ask about two female sonneteers).
And it just happened to be in all three contestants' hammerhouse?

I admit that I almost knee-jerked Dickinson as the first female poet that came to mind, but I know that her stuff uses a lot of common meter, painfully forced slant-rhymes, and death. And none of those is "sonnet". And I just hit a brick wall trying to pull any other female poets before the buzzer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm And it just happened to be in all three contestants' hammerhouse?
It *was* the Teen Tournament, after all. I think a lot of J! material on literary topics is focused on stuff that used to be taught, but isn't so much anymore, and yet remains Stuff You Need to Know. It wasn't surprising that the kids missed it, but that clue didn't have an obscure bone in its body.

Good on you for realizing you could rule out your initial guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm And it just happened to be in all three contestants' hammerhouse?
It *was* the Teen Tournament, after all. I think a lot of J! material on literary topics is focused on stuff that used to be taught, but isn't so much anymore, and yet remains Stuff You Need to Know. It wasn't surprising that the kids missed it, but that clue didn't have an obscure bone in its body.

Good on you for realizing you could rule out your initial guess.
I retract Browning being obscure, but I still feel it was an understandable miss for this group. I probably could've gotten her with another 5-10 seconds.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pmspecified that the poet was female (and as far as I can tell they only ask about two female sonneteers).
Who's the other one?
Spoiler
Dickinson didn't write sonnets, so she's out. So... Christina Rossetti? She gets mentioned along with her brother in relation to sonnets in one clue. Edna St. Vincent Millay? She gets a few sonnet-related shoutouts.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:33 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pmspecified that the poet was female (and as far as I can tell they only ask about two female sonneteers).
Who's the other one?
Spoiler
Dickinson didn't write sonnets, so she's out. So... Christina Rossetti? She gets mentioned along with her brother in relation to sonnets in one clue. Edna St. Vincent Millay? She gets a few sonnet-related shoutouts.
I was thinking Edna St. Vincent Millay.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know Christina Rossetti entirely for the hymn "In the Bleak Midwinter", and Edna St. Vincent Millay for "What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why".

Back when I was a teenager, I messed around with a scorewriter program called Melody Assistant. Their official website had a bunch of tunes submitted by users of the program. I was particularly taken by the compositions of one user who went by the name "Esmeralda Weatherwax". They did some fantastic musical settings of "What lips...", "To Earthward" by Robert Frost, and a couple other poems. I asked this user to help me compose a musical setting for "anyone lived in a pretty how town" by E. E. Cummings since it was in one of my high school textbooks. It later turned out that "Esmeralda Weatherwax" was actually two random people living in the UK who shared a username, which happened to be the name of a Discworld character. I would love to find them again sometime, but they seem to have given up on music or gone incognito in some way.

The result, by the way, was this, which I'm still proud of over 15 years later. I should record it for real sometime.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

46 right.

World Geography (5), Hashtags for Change (5), Describing the Traffic Sign (5), Proud to Be an American (4), Broadway Debuts (3), Double Talk (4)

Women Authors (4), The TV Show's Characters (1), Health & Medicine (3), Time to Take the S_A_T (2), Weight Listed (5), At My Safety School (5)

Lach Trash: Elizabeth Barrett Browning; Daily Double: academy

Instaget FJ.