LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by RJRouge »

At least my next match should be in the bag. Upcoming opponent has already forfeited 4 out of 5 times.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

After a pretty terrible start (0-3-0 with a combined 4 TCA), I'm temporarily out of the relegation zone with back-to-back days of 4 TCA each. My DE has been atrocious this season, and I ended up tying on MD5 despite being the only person in my rundle to correctly get Clara Schumann. Proud of that at least! It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the season brings
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Looks like I might find myself on the unluckiest Llama list at season's end. My TCA is 3rd in my rundle. Not bad. My 28 CAA, though, is 4 above the next highest in either of the C Prairie rundles, and is tied for the highest in B. That's bad. The .550 DE isn't helping matters, of course, but I'm only avoiding last place because of my point differential.

The season is still young, but it's getting old fast....

/end gripe
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Finally snapped my double losing streak with a 6(3)-6(5) and 6(3)-4(4). Funny how both opponents gave me 3 points for Mark, which is as much a language question as sports.

In every match, there’s at least one more answer I would have got right if only I’d let the questions sit a while longer. Oh, and there’s that whole getting it right but changing your answer at the last minute thing

Crushing DE with 0.947. Just need to start getting more questions right ;)
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 amThe .550 DE isn't helping matters, of course
Oh you! :lol: ... :cry:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've been getting shellacked this season. Currently on a five day losing streak after winning on day one. My DE isn't that bad at .700 but I'm leading my rundle in both TPA (46) and CAA (32). The law of averages suggests things should improve. I hope so!

Needed to get all six correct yesterday for the tie, but missed the soccer question. I ended up going with "trap" which seemed like a strange--but possible--name. Mark never even occurred to me.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This is by far the best season I've had. I'm .200 above normal, with at least 3 correct every day and four straight days of at least 5. Regression to the mean is going to hit me like a truck.
Hoping for a third lap
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

sarisson wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 am This is by far the best season I've had. I'm .200 above normal, with at least 3 correct every day and four straight days of at least 5. Regression to the mean is going to hit me like a truck.
Ditto here. I know that the questions have been remarkably friendly to me lately and must eventually return to their normal level of difficulty but so far it's been too good to be true.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One man's feast is another's famine. I'm projecting out to my lowest TCA ever. I'm sure it'll turn around as well ...
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:05 am In every match, there’s at least one more answer I would have got right if only I’d let the questions sit a while longer. Oh, and there’s that whole getting it right but changing your answer at the last minute thing
As a corollary, I learned yesterday to read the ENTIRE question before being confident on an answer. There's nothing quite like missing out on a perfect day by giving an answer which the question stated specifically was not the answer.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I had a strange day yesterday with 2 correct answers and 4 MCWAs.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

So far my season has been gentle to me. Including yesterday, when I got 3 right, but was given a handy forfeit. I was so close on the questions though: Osteology instead of osteopathy; Nevada (with just one border section a little squiggly), and said sausage and cabbage instead of potatoes and cabbage.

I wonder about the state border question though: New Mexico has about 20 miles of its border where it "follows" the Rio Grande instead of so line of latitude or longitude. It also looks like the border is now defined by surveyors lines instead of the actual river, since it seems a few miles off at various points. It seems to me you could make a reasonable argument that the border is "mostly straight lines, with occasional slight kinks" - which was the question wording.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm So far my season has been gentle to me. Including yesterday, when I got 3 right, but was given a handy forfeit. I was so close on the questions though: Osteology instead of osteopathy; Nevada (with just one border section a little squiggly), and said sausage and cabbage instead of potatoes and cabbage.

I wonder about the state border question though: New Mexico has about 20 miles of its border where it "follows" the Rio Grande instead of so line of latitude or longitude. It also looks like the border is now defined by surveyors lines instead of the actual river, since it seems a few miles off at various points. It seems to me you could make a reasonable argument that the border is "mostly straight lines, with occasional slight kinks" - which was the question wording.
I wondered about that, too, as my memory of NM's outline was a rectangle with a little tail. I eventually went with Utah because I wasn't certain whether a national boundary would be considered a "natural" boundary.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I knew my defense was bad, but I didn't realize just HOW bad until I noticed that, as of right now, only the guy who has defaulted on 5 out of 6 matches has a lower percentage than I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't believe that Tippecanoe had a 71% get rate, but Booker Prize was only 58%.

I got a tie and have yet to lose this season, though I have been extremely lucky with defense and my opponents' defense. Yesterday I caught a break that I didn't know the math question, which was from my best category, and my opponent gave me a 0.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I think I'm just going to have to accept it...I'm getting relegated, and I'm going to somehow manage doing it with more TCA than CAA...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 am I can't believe that Tippecanoe had a 71% get rate, but Booker Prize was only 58%.
"Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" had to mean something.

In retrospect, I've heard of the Booker Prize, but no way was I going to pull that one out of the air. Answered "Hugo" knowing that the chance of it being correct were about nil. (I don't generally even make guesses in situations like that... and I've never not gotten a question correct because I failed to make even a wag.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 am I can't believe that Tippecanoe had a 71% get rate, but Booker Prize was only 58%.
That's about what I would have pegged them at. I doubt most Americans have heard of the Booker Prize, but certainly have heard of Tippecanoe. Coming up with the President with that nickname is another story, but something I would presume most Llamas would be able to handle.

I embarrassingly missed the Pyrenees yesterday. I had in my head that the border between France and Spain went north-south. It turned out to be a good one to miss since my opponent only defended it at one point. I ended up getting the victory 8(5)-6(5).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:07 pm
That's about what I would have pegged them at. I doubt most Americans have heard of the Booker Prize, but certainly have heard of Tippecanoe. Coming up with the President with that nickname is another story, but something I would presume most Llamas would be able to handle.

I embarrassingly missed the Pyrenees yesterday. I had in my head that the border between France and Spain went north-south. It turned out to be a good one to miss since my opponent only defended it at one point. I ended up getting the victory 8(5)-6(5).
I thought the Booker was pretty famous, and the reward money being expressed in pounds would help. I knew that some pretty famous works that are well known in the United States, like Midnight's Children and The English Patient had won it, but I could have been overestimating its fame here and abroad.

And I nearly talked myself out of the Pyrenees with similar logic, but I just didn't see what else it could be.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pm And I nearly talked myself out of the Pyrenees with similar logic, but I just didn't see what else it could be.
I put the Apennines thinking they possibly cut from northwest to southeast Italy. Turns out they do, but still wrong of course. :)