LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by RJRouge »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pm I thought the Booker was pretty famous, and the reward money being expressed in pounds would help.
That's the only reason I got it. I've heard of the prize, but had never heard of either book.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The beatdown continues with a double loss on MD7 5(4)-9(6)

Best I’ve done this season is tie with a 6(5)

And yet! DE remains 2nd highest at .955

Funny how aerodynamics was the MCWA - I thought of that, too, but dismissed it outright and went with dynamics for lack of any better answer

‘Piste’ led me to pétanque which is played on a wider court 13’ x 50’. Never considered fencing
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got the rare 9(5)-6(5) victory. He gave me 0 on pneumatics, and I gave him 3 because I was pretty sure aerodynamics was going to be wrong, but I couldn't come up with anything better. We both missed it. Why he gave me a 0 for something he must not have been sure of, I don't know, but I'll take it because I needed it.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I've finally figured out how to win LL matches: Get q's in your good categories wrong and q's in the your bad categories correct. Case in point yesterday where I got sports and film wrong and lit/WH correct (as well as pneumatics) leading to a 6(3) - 3(3) win. For the fencing question I was thrown off by the "playing area" part. I mean, do you really "play" fencing? Although, I'm not sure how better to phrase it. I went with bocce, which I was pretty sure was wrong, but couldn't come up with anything better.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am I've finally figured out how to win LL matches: Get q's in your good categories wrong and q's in the your bad categories correct. Case in point yesterday where I got sports and film wrong and lit/WH correct (as well as pneumatics) leading to a 6(3) - 3(3) win. For the fencing question I was thrown off by the "playing area" part. I mean, do you really "play" fencing? Although, I'm not sure how better to phrase it. I went with bocce, which I was pretty sure was wrong, but couldn't come up with anything better.
I didn't like the use of "playing area", either. I went with shuffleboard, which is pretty close in size (6 x 51, counting the shooting areas).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I think one of the big clues for fencing is that the term was in French. Basically all terminology in fencing is in French. "En garde... pret... allez!"
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I also said shuffleboard. Pretty sure if I'd thought of fencing I would have put it down, but I didn't.

I wonder if "gas dynamics" would have counted for pneumatics? That's what I had down first before thinking of pneumatics and realizing that was the better guess.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I was very close to missing fencing, mistaking "piste" for Spanish and wanting to put jai alai until I noticed the width of the field.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10 pm I was very close to missing fencing, mistaking "piste" for Spanish and wanting to put jai alai until I noticed the width of the field.
I thought Italian, thus bocce.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 am
classicroadster wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 am I've finally figured out how to win LL matches: Get q's in your good categories wrong and q's in the your bad categories correct. Case in point yesterday where I got sports and film wrong and lit/WH correct (as well as pneumatics) leading to a 6(3) - 3(3) win. For the fencing question I was thrown off by the "playing area" part. I mean, do you really "play" fencing? Although, I'm not sure how better to phrase it. I went with bocce, which I was pretty sure was wrong, but couldn't come up with anything better.
I didn't like the use of "playing area", either. I went with shuffleboard, which is pretty close in size (6 x 51, counting the shooting areas).
I went with shuffleboard too, though classifying it as a sport left me wondering. The playing area seemed just about right, though. I started with bocce, as "piste" sounded Romantic, and considered curling, but the playing area for both of those sports is much larger than the ~6 x 46 specified. (Is bocce even a sport in the same sense as curling... or is it more like shuffleboard?)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Jai Alai for me...confused Pelota (the ball) with Piste (the nothing).
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I went with boules, which I assumed was French bocce. I'm not sure I would have ever landed on fencing.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 am
Living 30 miles from the Canadian border, I went with curling--against my better judgment because the ice surface is definitely looks longer than 46 feet.

Fun fact: For years, Wayne State University in Detroit had a nationally-renown fencing program: http://reuther.wayne.edu/node/10181
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My good luck continues. Yesterday I won 5(2)-1(1). Film is my second worst category, but I'm a big boxing fan so I have watched the Rocky movies. I was hoping for a 3 on Clubber Lang and a 2 on UCLA, and I got 'em. Grey was a forehead slapper, though.

Then on Wednesday I lucked into a 1(1)-1(2) tie. World History is my second best category, my opponent knew Hammurabi, so naturally they should give me a 0, right? Nope, they inexplicably gave me a 0 on fencing, and then missed that question themselves!

I now sit in second place with a 5-0-4 record. I am the only person in my rundle without a loss, yet I'm in the lower half in TCA!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Occasionally I like LL, some days I dislike LL and other days I hate it. Five right was good for me though not enough as I had the "honour" (he's Canadian) to face the only person in my group to get all six right. :evil:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I just can't seem to pull the six-pack this season and have lost four days because of that. My fail yesterday was Pakistan. When I was reading the question I thought of Pakistan and then for whatever reason the word "name" in the clue made me think it was a person's name and put down "Mahatma."

I'm still easily holding down the lead in my rundle for correct answers against with 48. That seems particularly rough.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I also made the Mahatma mistake, and my opponent played perfect defense. As usual, I am very bloody predictable. Luckily they only got one right, which was rather less than I was expecting.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Actually, were these questions easier for the general group of players than they looked? In my division, the lowest percentage correct was 44, and that was surprisingly for the Rocky question.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 am Occasionally I like LL, some days I dislike LL and other days I hate it. Five right was good for me though not enough as I had the "honour" (he's Canadian) to face the only person in my group to get all six right. :evil:
My opponents (public and private) mistakenly thought that my Canadian location meant that I would not whiff the Canadian geography question. Unfortunately, those 0 assignments still didn't help me win either match. I now realize I know nothing about Nova Scotia besides Halifax being there. Time to go find that free Canadian Citizenship test book!

It has been a strange week with impressively uneven play on my part. Tuesday I got 5 (and 4 of my answers were misspelled, sorry Thorsten), Wednesday a 9(6), and Thursday only 3 right.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My inevitable regression to the mean is in full swing. After an absolutely unprecedented 5 six-packs in a row, I've begun to plummet in Rundle in the Jundle as I knew I must, helped along by my usual drubbing at teapot37's hands. Fortunately, one cannot be relegated from a private rundle :mrgreen: