LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 am I can't believe that 37% of llamas made the same careless mistake as me and StevenH ... using the wrong tense of 'jump'.
I can't believe that anyone on my Facebook friends list missed this question.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 am
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 am I can't believe that 37% of llamas made the same careless mistake as me and StevenH ... using the wrong tense of 'jump'.
I do hang my head in shame.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That's exactly why I didn't. :)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:31 am I was one of the big group of dummies (35%) that thought "bailout" was a phrase...
Since the question asked for a phrase, I answered "bank bailout". Does that make me a double dummy?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:31 am I was one of the big group of dummies (35%) that thought "bailout" was a phrase...
Since the question asked for a phrase, I answered "bank bailout". Does that make me a double dummy?
No, that makes you smart. Still wrong, though!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I had no idea about "too big to fail" before this: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5424

I didn't miss it this time.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 am I had no idea about "too big to fail" before this: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5424

I didn't miss it this time.
Oof, that FJ wager. I had forgotten he did that.

My opponent missed it. I stuck the 0 there, never considering the pangram is frequently misquoted. Just another dumb loss in a season filled with them. I soldier on.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Good. This is exactly what I wanted to bring up yesterday but had to wait. I'm glad I'm not alone in knowing what a pangram is while completely ignoring the fact that the word I'm accustomed to hearing in that blank means there's no S in it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm glad my opponent didn't know I work for Boeing. He probably wouldn't have given me two points for the Lion Air question if he had!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 pm I'm glad my opponent didn't know I work for Boeing. He probably wouldn't have given me two points for the Lion Air question if he had!
So, Kirk, been working on any pilot override systems lately?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:31 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:03 pm I'm glad my opponent didn't know I work for Boeing. He probably wouldn't have given me two points for the Lion Air question if he had!
So, Kirk, been working on any pilot override systems lately?
I'm not at liberty to say...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Well, I erred with ACT instead of Tasmania. Turns out ACT is *not* a state, but rather part of New South Wales. Made no difference, however, as my opponent assigned 0 points and I missed 2 points on Lion Air, losing (again) 7(4)-8(5)

I'm resigned to the inevitable fall back to B Taiga for LL80, barring a late season hot streak
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 pm Well, I erred with ACT instead of Tasmania. Turns out ACT is *not* a state, but rather part of New South Wales.
It's not a state because the 'T' stands for territory. I'm pretty sure it's not considered part of NSW.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:52 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 pm Well, I erred with ACT instead of Tasmania. Turns out ACT is *not* a state, but rather part of New South Wales.
It's not a state because the 'T' stands for territory. I'm pretty sure it's not considered part of NSW.
Right. It's enclaved within NSW, but a distinct territory
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I did that as well. :oops:

"Too big to fail" came up several times during my recently completed business administration program, so that was easy for me.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I started with jumped, then went through the whole alphabet and realized, hey there's no s in there and changed it to jumps. Didn't matter as my dream season rolled on with a 3(3)- 0(0) win to maintain first place in DMag1.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Before you start pruning your friends, I can quite confidently say that I was running a fever (actually still am) and thought "wait, there's no D! it must be jumped!" and only noticed that there is a d in the word dog immediately after submitting.

My brain does not work well when I am ill. :oops:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

at some recent time in my life, I had an aha moment with jumps v. jumped, so I was on to that question like a shot
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 pm at some recent time in my life, I had an aha moment with jumps v. jumped, so I was on to that question like a shot
I didn't see an "s" in any of the other words in the sentence, so I went with "jumps".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I was annoyed by my inability to remember what was the Koons thing I had to point out to the tourists every days a couple years ago, but it turns out it was
koons-split-rocker-07.jpg
koons-split-rocker-07.jpg (246.35 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
, so no harm done. I stopped thinking much sooner on the ear/plant question, but more thinking wouldn't have helped. Lobe sure did sound good, though. Ava DuVernay I didn't know, but then she isn't from the Bronx, unlike Cardi B, which get of mine the other day I guess surprised my opponent. I didn't recognize any of her collaborators or song titles, but I sensed it was her turn. Speaking of B, I do seem to be headed there. Oh well. I'm sure I'll adapt.

In the fox/dog quote, I thought "jumps" gave the sentence an immediacy that "jumped" lacks.

P.S. The thing above is "split-rocker", i.e., rocking horse.
I'm smart and I want respect.