LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 2062
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by morbeedo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Anyone know the split of M/F in the current LL roster? It seems like I'm only matched up against a female opponent 1 in 10 or so match days

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:52 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm
Anyone know the split of M/F in the current LL roster? It seems like I'm only matched up against a female opponent 1 in 10 or so match days
"27.2% of all LL79 registrants report as female", per the Commish.

https://www.learnedleague.com/viewtopic ... 23#p126399

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by cmp146 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 pm

My 20th century women group has 3 females, 1 non-binary, 1 cis-gendered male, and the remaining 7 male. That is pretty spot-on for the league average, I think.

I am really excited to have finished 10th (98th percentile) in oncology. I teach two lectures on chemotherapy later this term, which helped tremendously. :-)

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by clprez » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm
Anyone know the split of M/F in the current LL roster? It seems like I'm only matched up against a female opponent 1 in 10 or so match days
I posted upstream a ways a similar question because I thought it was unusual that my rundle last season (Prarie E div 1) was 18 women and 6 men.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6321
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by Volante » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am
First in my Video Game group! The bad news is 7 of 12 players have gone 8 for 12 in questions so this is still shaping up to be a moderate group of death.
Group of death still going strong. 8 over 50% get rate, and 5 of those over 66%. One's even 29/30...

User avatar
RJRouge
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by RJRouge » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm

Made a top 100 finish in the Novelty Country Music 1D despite not being able to play any of the sound clips. I have always been deeply invested in novelty tunes of all genres.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 am

RJRouge wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm
Made a top 100 finish in the Novelty Country Music 1D despite not being able to play any of the sound clips. I have always been deeply invested in novelty tunes of all genres.
Thank you for playing anyway. I knew it was going to play hard, but I didn't think it would go that hard. Ah, well.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by boson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 am

Missed the first question of electromagnetism, and missed my first chance to win a 1ds. I knew it was Oersted who first deflected a compass with an electric current, but misplaced him in Sweden, not Denmark. Lost to first place by 15 points.

I know I can't tell those languages apart : I watched season one of 'The Bridge' and could never tell which country they were in.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am

I forfeited for the first time since I joined in 2011. At least it was a minileague and as such won't show up on my overall record (and at least other players in my group had previously forfeited so I wasn't sullying a pristine level of participation), but I hate hate hate that it's now something I've done.

I would have scored 7(4), against the same number correct put up by my opponent. I don't know if my defense (which I didn't bother attempting to simulate) would have won me the match, but random chance puts it at a 60% possibility (with the remaining 40% split equally between losing and tying). The worst part is that I was in second place against third place, in a MPD-broken three-way tie for the lead, and now second place is out of my reach.

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by classicroadster » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 am

I've shot myself in the foot so many times in the Womens ML...Only put chromosome on day 1, cost me a win. The whole Sherlock Holmes thing on Day 2 ended up costing me a win (lost by 2, Opp gave me 0 and I gave her 3, both of us have lit as a worst category). Day 5 lost 0(1) - 1(1), and yesterday lost 1(1) - 2(1) when my Koin came up XC Skiing instead of Gymnastics and "Girl Next Door" instead of "Americas Sweetheart"...Ugh

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am
I forfeited for the first time since I joined in 2011. At least it was a minileague and as such won't show up on my overall record (and at least other players in my group had previously forfeited so I wasn't sullying a pristine level of participation), but I hate hate hate that it's now something I've done.

I would have scored 7(4), against the same number correct put up by my opponent. I don't know if my defense (which I didn't bother attempting to simulate) would have won me the match, but random chance puts it at a 60% possibility (with the remaining 40% split equally between losing and tying). The worst part is that I was in second place against third place, in a MPD-broken three-way tie for the lead, and now second place is out of my reach.
I keep forgetting that MLs have 11 match days, not 10. And the guy in first place just forfeited. Our records are tied again, so second place is once more a possibility, but his MPD is 9 better than mine, so my only hope is that I just have a better result than he does (tying or winning while he loses, or winning while he ties).

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by sarisson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm 7-3 in Video Games and will win on MD11 because my opponent hasn't shown up yet, but I'm eliminated from championship contention. It seems as though if you lose more than two games, you're out of the running, because I went 8-3 in the American West and failed to qualify. I'm 4-3 in Women so far.
In for a second lap

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by classicroadster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 am

Tintin/Asterix Koin flip cost me another win...

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by cmp146 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Congrats to my favorite physicist and husband, Boson, for his 5th place finish in Thermodynamics!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5947
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by seaborgium » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am
I forfeited for the first time since I joined in 2011. At least it was a minileague and as such won't show up on my overall record (and at least other players in my group had previously forfeited so I wasn't sullying a pristine level of participation), but I hate hate hate that it's now something I've done.

I would have scored 7(4), against the same number correct put up by my opponent. I don't know if my defense (which I didn't bother attempting to simulate) would have won me the match, but random chance puts it at a 60% possibility (with the remaining 40% split equally between losing and tying). The worst part is that I was in second place against third place, in a MPD-broken three-way tie for the lead, and now second place is out of my reach.
I keep forgetting that MLs have 11 match days, not 10. And the guy in first place just forfeited. Our records are tied again, so second place is once more a possibility, but his MPD is 9 better than mine, so my only hope is that I just have a better result than he does (tying or winning while he loses, or winning while he ties).
I won while he tied, so I made the finals. Lucky me...?

User avatar
Woof
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by Woof » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm

cmp146 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm
Congrats to my favorite physicist and husband, Boson, for his 5th place finish in Thermodynamics!
Way to go, Boson! I ended up with 9/12 after badly overthinking 3 very gettable questions. As an aside, this was a far easier quiz than I'd expected. I had cold sweats just trying to recall the formula for heat capacity that I'd last seen in undergrad thermo about 40 years ago :mrgreen:

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by sarisson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I went 8/12 on Thermo but finished slightly ahead of former Harvard physics instructor (among other things) PahkJ. I haven't used thermo much since grad school.
I had one of my highest-ever 1DS finishes in "Bird Nerds OR ELSE," which was a lot of fun.
In for a second lap

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1699
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm

sarisson wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm
I went 8/12 on Thermo but finished slightly ahead of former Harvard physics instructor (among other things) PahkJ. I haven't used thermo much since grad school.
This attracted my attention because I happened to end up tied with PahkJ. I guess I still remember some stuff from my B.S. in chemical engineering that I got a long time ago.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by boson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Thanks...

I don't think I'll ever win one of these 1DSs: I taught thermodynamics for several years (not by choice - but my penance is done) and knew all 12 quickly. I couldn't quite get the moneys right. The wording on the first law of thermodynamics question was odd, and confused me at first, so I took a flyer on that confusing others... but no luck. Knowing how to money them exactly is beyond me. You can learn a lot about me by the 1DS I've done well in: thermodynamics, electrodynamics, condensed matter physics, astronomical observatories, canadian foods, canadian sports, rare-earth elements, and just images - fruit.

Ok, maybe not from the just images fruit...

But that bird ID one-day was brilliant, wasn't it? I loved trying to puzzle things out and use my tiny amount of bird knowledge to rule things out.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 am

sarisson wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm
I went 8/12 on Thermo but finished slightly ahead of former Harvard physics instructor (among other things) PahkJ. I haven't used thermo much since grad school.
I had one of my highest-ever 1DS finishes in "Bird Nerds OR ELSE," which was a lot of fun.
Top ten finish for me in that one for me!

I have a masters in mechanical engineering, so probably should have done better than 71% on thermo, but it's definitely been a long time since I've used it. I did miss out on some points by putting -273 and -460 for the absolute zero question.

Post Reply