LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:34 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:25 pm Gropius? No, he’s that Bauhaus guy. Balthus? Nope. I knew it ended in -us but I wasn’t getting to Moebius at 11pm last night

Cup stacking is a thing??
I put down the only sport starting with SS I could think of: synchronized swimming. I have no idea what the individual competition for that is supposed to look like.
Synchronized swimming and speed skating were all I could think of. While your concern about synchro is in regard to what individual competition would look like, mine is what a relay would look like.
While I get putting down the best you can come up with, I am curious what your thoughts were regarding the original abbreviation with the CS and how it fit your guesses (or if it didn't and you went with what you had)?
"Coordinated swimming" and "competitive skating" (I mean, figure skating is competitive as well, but the objective "be faster" is more directly competitive than the subjective "be better") were the best I could do.
But could you reasonably think that those sports didn't exist in organized form until 1981? Synchronized swimming one might make a case for, but speed skating???
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:36 pm But could you reasonably think that those sports didn't exist in organized form until 1981? Synchronized swimming one might make a case for, but speed skating???
Short track didn't enter the Olympics until 1992. I thought of speed skating, too, but dismissed it as ridiculous. But I was thinking of short track, which dates only until 1967.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:36 pm

I put down the only sport starting with SS I could think of: synchronized swimming. I have no idea what the individual competition for that is supposed to look like.
Synchronized swimming and speed skating were all I could think of. While your concern about synchro is in regard to what individual competition would look like, mine is what a relay would look like.
While I get putting down the best you can come up with, I am curious what your thoughts were regarding the original abbreviation with the CS and how it fit your guesses (or if it didn't and you went with what you had)?
"Coordinated swimming" and "competitive skating" (I mean, figure skating is competitive as well, but the objective "be faster" is more directly competitive than the subjective "be better") were the best I could do.
But could you reasonably think that those sports didn't exist in organized form until 1981? Synchronized swimming one might make a case for, but speed skating???
Sometimes you just put down a guess and then move on. It was 2 in the morning when I opened the questions. Until I thought of synchronized swimming, I was just going to put ultimate frisbee, which doesn't even match the letters.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:36 pm

I almost continued my paragraph by saying that I only had personal memories to go on, and since 1981 was before I was born, I didn't have any anecdotal evidence that synchronized swimming and speed skating existed before then. But I thought it would be going too far afield from the question I was answering.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I tied once again yesterday to bring my record to 8-5-1. I am sitting in 1st place in my rundle with 32 TCA, and the person in 2nd has 51. I may buy a lottery ticket tonight.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Jinkies. I just noticed my defence no longer starts with a .4 and in the good way! Progress!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:25 pm Gropius? No, he’s that Bauhaus guy. Balthus? Nope. I knew it ended in -us but I wasn’t getting to Moebius at 11pm last night

All I could think of was skeet shooting. No clue what the CS would have been.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:52 pm

All I could think of was skeet shooting. No clue what the CS would have been.
Clay shooting!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

To add to the WAGs on the sport question, I went with sky surfing. It was the best I could come up with for something that was created so recently and was a sport. As for the CS part? I don't know, cloud surfing?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This morning's observation ... I was looking at the standings, and I'm one short of leading my rundle in 3-pointers. I thought that's kind of odd, since I have yet to have a six-pack this season. That's pretty lucky to have people assign me 3 points on questions that I got right. So I started wondering what the flip side of Defensive Efficiency was, in other words what other players' DE was when facing me. I figured Thorsten must have that somewhere. Sure enough, in the advanced statistics of the standings is Offensive Efficiency. And my hunch was right -- in the current season, I am leading the rundle in OE. So in that particular way, I'm having a lucky season (and my CAA has reverted to the norm).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My opponent had a lifetime .363 batting average in Literature and .419 in Art...and yet they could name a classic Chinese novel, but not the most famous Norwegian painting. I gave them a 3 on the former and a 0 on the latter, but still came away with an 8(5)-6(3) win. My only miss was the baseball coach, and it was only my second day this season with at least 4 correct. I'm still in 1st place in my rundle by 1 point and still have the best defense, but only by .004 points.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:01 am This morning's observation ... I was looking at the standings, and I'm one short of leading my rundle in 3-pointers. I thought that's kind of odd, since I have yet to have a six-pack this season. That's pretty lucky to have people assign me 3 points on questions that I got right. So I started wondering what the flip side of Defensive Efficiency was, in other words what other players' DE was when facing me. I figured Thorsten must have that somewhere. Sure enough, in the advanced statistics of the standings is Offensive Efficiency. And my hunch was right -- in the current season, I am leading the rundle in OE. So in that particular way, I'm having a lucky season (and my CAA has reverted to the norm).
Yeah, luck does play a teensy-weensy role in these here parts and Thorsten does have a measure or two about that.

Your OE this season is .439, mine is .148 (contra-Sandra territory?) And we've probably had seasons that were exactly reversed.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

StevenH wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:58 am My opponent had a lifetime .363 batting average in Literature and .419 in Art...and yet they could name a classic Chinese novel, but not the most famous Norwegian painting. I gave them a 3 on the former and a 0 on the latter, but still came away with an 8(5)-6(3) win. My only miss was the baseball coach, and it was only my second day this season with at least 4 correct. I'm still in 1st place in my rundle by 1 point and still have the best defense, but only by .004 points.
It's entirely possible that your opponent knew a classic Chinese novel the same way I did: Dragonball was originally based VERY heavily on Journey To the West.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 pm Cooperative swimming, maybe?
One person pulls and the other person grabs the ankles of the puller and kicks. We did relays like this when I was about 10, so seems plausible. :)

I actually came up with cup stacking for this after spending way too long thinking about it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This post deals with just one question of Friday's set, which already has a dedicated thread on the LL site. But I try to avoid displays of self-pity there, just as I would keep it from here should I ever have the chance to pity myself regarding Jeopardy. It is not the only one I missed, but my other misses were due either to utter ignorance or very bad thinking, and I wouldn't even accept any pity regarding them.

So on the sitcom question, I first considered that "beloved" might be a literal hint, but alas, it was Bernie Bridget loved. So close! I also considered that the unfamiliar character name might mean he was better known by a nick, but the only "coach" I knew was Jerry van Dyke, and I didn't think he'd be cast as an Italian (not that he couldn't have played one mind you). So I tried to think of a show that might have Italians, and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" sprang to mind, and even one unfamiliar with the show might very well deduce that Ernie was a weatherman from some cold place like Toronto who moved to Philadelphia for its balmy climate. Right?
I'm smart and I want respect.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Someone's probably pointed it out on the LL message board already, but I've seen this "Cheers" clip on several relatively recent occasions:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Still a few hours left on the Mid-Season Classic.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The midseason classic is done. Congrats to boardie Lampy for coming in second overall, and to Central for winning the league title!

The sheer number of leagues is getting daunting - and coming in 45th (as Magnolia did) is not embarrassingly bad (about 350 points below median).

Somehow - and googling gives no connection between the two - I have George Plimpton and Fran Tarkenton confused in my brain, and I moneyed that question. Sorry Magnolia, I was no help to our score because of that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 pm The midseason classic is done. Congrats to boardie Lampy for coming in second overall, and to Central for winning the league title!

The sheer number of leagues is getting daunting - and coming in 45th (as Magnolia did) is not embarrassingly bad (about 350 points below median).

Somehow - and googling gives no connection between the two - I have George Plimpton and Fran Tarkenton confused in my brain, and I moneyed that question. Sorry Magnolia, I was no help to our score because of that.
Well, I didn't help, either. I failed to see "civilian" in the question and answered Lebanon. Plus having the wrong year. And I've been watching the Sundance show on Jonestown, too. Serious fail.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I did well on the midseason one day and came in 51st with 450 points. I only missed the video game question.

I had Lebanon down first, too, until rereading it and "civilian" jumped out at me.