LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by StevenH »

I opened the season with a 5(3)-3(2) win.

I thought that St. Elmo seemed too obvious. I went with Christopher, gave my opponent a 3, and they got it. Thankfully it didn't cost me.

I'm not a football fan, but I knew the Bills.

I mixed up the order for iron and bronze.

I had no idea on Dick Van Dyke. I guessed Bojack Horseman and really would have thought that it was something more modern.

I knew all 4 Asian tigers, from a college geography class that I took. I would have expected a higher get rate with only one required.

I couldn't have told you a single thing that Dunbar wrote, but the time period and other clues pointed right to him.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

jfrumkin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 am Just to explain myself because I beat Boson with a 9% get: my mom taught at Dunbar HS in Baltimore (the one most famous for basketball with a long list of alums including Mugsy Bogues and Sam Cassell) so while I didn’t know the titles of the works I could zero in on him as an African-American poet of that era who died young.
You don't have to explain how you got it... I should explain how I missed it.

By never having heard of the guy.

Hmm, stories of how you know something are more interesting than stories of how you don't know something.

Congrats on the perfect start to the season!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought that since bronze was an alloy, it would come after iron. Cost me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:19 am I knew all 4 Asian tigers, from a college geography class that I took. I would have expected a higher get rate with only one required.
Never heard of that before, but it seemed easy enough to deduce.
"Japan...South Korea...Taiwan...(pause)...ahh, Singapore. Let's just go with the first one and avoid needless overpondering."
*submit*
"You had ONE JOB, brain!"

What's that, a 25/25/25/25/0? I've always been shaky with the slash lines...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Well, I'm in the lead for a trophy... unfortunately, it's the Dawkins (most MCW). Pulled Japan, Langston Hughes, and stone/iron/bronze yesterday.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I did exactly the same things for the same reasons as others have already stated regarding the Asian tigers and the Bronze/Iron ages. Luckily for me I edged out my first opponent based on score assignments.

At least I can say after talking myself out of those two correct answers, I've proven I didn't cheat.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 am Well, I'm in the lead for a trophy... unfortunately, it's the Dawkins (most MCW). Pulled Japan, Langston Hughes, and stone/iron/bronze yesterday.
You and me both. Well, I did get the right order on the ages, but made up for that by having no idea on the Dick Van Dyke intro (probably been 50 years since I've seen an episode)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I interpreted the Communist Manifesto question as asking for a 20th century work, which didn't seem to make sense given the wording of the clue. But I still didn't consider works from any other century, and it cost me a win. But at least getting credit for pear instead of bulb got me the tie!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

StevenH wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 am I interpreted the Communist Manifesto question as asking for a 20th century work, which didn't seem to make sense given the wording of the clue. But I still didn't consider works from any other century, and it cost me a win. But at least getting credit for pear instead of bulb got me the tie!
Crud. I thought it was pear, but for unknown reasons switched to apple. Then when I saw 'bulb', I figured I would have been wrong anyway. Fortunately, I got the win on D yesterday anyway.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Opened the season 1-0-1 with a predictable 3(3)-3(3) tie on Day 1 (got St Elmo, Bills, and Singapore, and missed out on the age question with Stone, Copper, Bronze) and a 5(3) -1(2) win yesterday. I initially had Mein Kampf for Q5, but then thought, that's a book not a document, and switched to Communist Manifesto. Mad at myself for not coming up with tort but it didn't matter.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:38 am I thought that since bronze was an alloy, it would come after iron. Cost me.
Made the exact same mistake. It was also the MCWA, so we had lots of company.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I had luckily just heard or read "tort" used in that context a few days prior. I'm only slightly disappointed in not getting Das Boot as I thought it was released earlier. I ended up answering My Dinner With Andre, since I'm pretty sure the scene never changes.

Made my first attempt at a funny wrong answer on the literature question with "Lousy Smarch Weather."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:38 am I thought that since bronze was an alloy, it would come after iron. Cost me.
I have heard this from a lot of people, including my own brain. You're in good company.

ETA: Hi, Blue Lion!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:24 pm
I have heard this from a lot of people, including my own brain. You're in good company.

ETA: Hi, Blue Lion!
I started going down this path but realized iron takes a MUCH higher temperature in order to be processed. Plus iron has a much more recent history of active use (later transitioning to steel). Bronze is more specialized and often simply ornamental.

To wit, the Monitor and Merrimack weren't bronze-clads...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 am Thorsten threw us a bunch of softballs on Day 1...I know the rest of the days won't be like that.
Interesting you say this because I thought it was extremely difficult and kind of a gut punch for day one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:42 pm
SBurrus wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 am Thorsten threw us a bunch of softballs on Day 1...I know the rest of the days won't be like that.
Interesting you say this because I thought it was extremely difficult and kind of a gut punch for day one.
I did too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had three names of Achaemenid kings at my disposal: Cyrus, Darius, and Xerxes. Guess which one I chose.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I had zero Achaemenid kings at my disposal. I managed a correct guess only by knowing the name of a king who was in that region in that general time frame, having no recollection what empire he was king of.

My shame for this round is forgetting who Janet Leigh's daughter is and which major cultural touchstone was having a 40th anniversary this year. :facepalm:
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Oof. This feels like it's just going to be one of those seasons. Already have 2 losses thanks to poor defense, and my other loss was just a thorough whipping. My DE is an unsightly .364. Not sure what's going on, but it ain't been pretty this week!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Somehow I got credit for shurat for the Quran question. Not even sure how I got that close to begin with.