LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by alietr »

A whopping 2% for John Kalodner in the RnR ML. Whoever he may be. And that was my industry and my timeframe. And my Ozzy Osbourne MCWA guess scored higher than the actual answer(s).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 am A whopping 2% for John Kalodner in the RnR ML. Whoever he may be. And that was my industry and my timeframe. And my Ozzy Osbourne MCWA guess scored higher than the actual answer(s).
He sure looks like Rick Rubin, the guy behind the Beastie Boys, but the music listed wasn't them, or related.

I said Osbourne instead of Gene Simmons for the question before as I confused my crazy/reality tv/70s metal stars.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I hate to criticize too much, and I have enjoyed the Rock and Roll ML overall, but does it seem like it's been a little too metal focused to anyone else?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 am I hate to criticize too much, and I have enjoyed the Rock and Roll ML overall, but does it seem like it's been a little too metal focused to anyone else?
Yes. Plus there should never be a question in there that has a 2% get rate. And I, too, am reluctant to criticize since these are hard to do.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 am I hate to criticize too much, and I have enjoyed the Rock and Roll ML overall, but does it seem like it's been a little too metal focused to anyone else?
Yes. Plus there should never be a question in there that has a 2% get rate. And I, too, am reluctant to criticize since these are hard to do.
I don't think there's anything wrong, in a vacuum, with a couple, even a few clues out of 66 that are total clunkers.
But there's been more than a few and it's making those stand out even more.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 am
I don't think there's anything wrong, in a vacuum, with a couple, even a few clues out of 66 that are total clunkers.
But there's been more than a few and it's making those stand out even more.
Given that it was a collaborative effort, I'm not seeing how that question could have made it through all of them without at least several of them saying who the hell is that? you can't use that. Just my opinion, of course. But yes, there have been two many total clunkers.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Moving up the leaderboard in France ML after forfeiting MD1, which I should have won :(

MD4 was tricksy, but I eked out a win 3(2)-0(0) against a player who has yet to answer a single question right!!

Q1. Discarded Boyle, thought Lavoisier or Pascal, went with the latter. HENRI LOUIS LE CHATELIER
Q4. 17th c. French math guy? Thought Descartes or Fermat, went with the latter. PASCAL...doh!

Got arrondissement and Minitel
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Congrats to jeff6286 on winning the Tolls 1DS! I coulda been a contender (top 15) had I not second guessed myself on Ft. Lee (that still looks NOTHING like the GW Bridge in my NSHO) and totally misjudged the difficulty of Q12. TBH, I'm still not sure how only 27% of the entrants could get the toll correctly from that diagram. It looked pretty straightforward to me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:34 pm Congrats to jeff6286 on winning the Tolls 1DS! I coulda been a contender (top 15) had I not second guessed myself on Ft. Lee (that still looks NOTHING like the GW Bridge in my NSHO) and totally misjudged the difficulty of Q12. TBH, I'm still not sure how only 27% of the entrants could get the toll correctly from that diagram. It looked pretty straightforward to me.
Congrats, Jeff, but you didn't know Milo?!? I thought that was the easiest question on there (though no, I did not play in time).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And for the record, I hate Breezewood with a burning, white-hot passion.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the "What band has had all of its members inducted into the RnR hall of Fame without itself being inducted" question, I said CSNY and got credit. That question's use of "only" was ill-advised.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:34 pm Congrats to jeff6286 on winning the Tolls 1DS! I coulda been a contender (top 15) had I not second guessed myself on Ft. Lee (that still looks NOTHING like the GW Bridge in my NSHO) and totally misjudged the difficulty of Q12. TBH, I'm still not sure how only 27% of the entrants could get the toll correctly from that diagram. It looked pretty straightforward to me.
Full disclosure: I messed up by adding in the "ramp toll zones". It's obvious when I look at it *now*.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I thought there would be a lot more 12/12 scores on Tolls than there actually were. (I'm another member of the 11/12 club on that one -- couldn't remember "Poor Unfortunate Souls.")
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

I stupidly added up all of the tolls shown along the route, including each on-ramp apparently, and had never read nor seen The Phantom Tollbooth, so there was no way I was going 12/12.

Personally, I love Breezewood, but it may have more to do with the fact that it indicates the final leg of my yearly drive to Baltimore (which will be ending this year, as the convention I was attending there is having its last one).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm
Congrats, Jeff, but you didn't know Milo?!? I thought that was the easiest question on there (though no, I did not play in time).
I've never heard of Milo, either.

edit: oh, he's the character in "The Phantom Tollbooth." I have heard of that, but knew nothing about it besides the title. Now I do!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

These medieval French history and culture questions are killing me
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:40 am These medieval French history and culture questions are killing me
Never before have I participated in an ML where I have had multiple opponents get 0(0) scores. Pretty brutal. OTOH, in the R&R ML our group leader just dropped his first point on MD6. Seems legit to me :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 am
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:40 am These medieval French history and culture questions are killing me
Never before have I participated in an ML where I have had multiple opponents get 0(0) scores. Pretty brutal. OTOH, in the R&R ML our group leader just dropped his first point on MD6. Seems legit to me :mrgreen:
Wow! Yesterday I won France 9(5)-0(0). Missed Pepin

Still kicking myself for the MD1 forfeit. My opponent scored 0(0) and gave me 3 for Les Fleurs du Mal :|
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:08 pm
This is...remarkable. I only didn't assign that zero on defense because of the Breton question.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Coelacanth wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:08 pm
This is...remarkable. I only didn't assign that zero on defense because of the Breton question.
So you’re saying everyone knows Pepin?!