LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:44 am Somehow I got credit for shurat for the Quran question. Not even sure how I got that close to begin with.
I started with Sutra - which I think is the Sanskrit equivalent - and searched my memory for something similar and ended with Sufi. Close but no halal cigar.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got really lucky on yesterday's set with a 3(2)-2(2) win. Film is my second worst category but my opponent gave me a 0 for Halloween, and they missed it themselves! I actually did consider Halloween but thought that it came out in '77.

The only two that I got were cosecant and Cyrus, which came from my two best categories, and they gave me a 2 for Cyrus. I guess I should just be happy and not question their logic for playing defense.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:24 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:38 am I thought that since bronze was an alloy, it would come after iron. Cost me.
I have heard this from a lot of people, including my own brain. You're in good company.

ETA: Hi, Blue Lion!
Hey there!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I got credit for "surat," which is a different grammatical form of the word. Not sure what I was more surprised by: the low get rate or its classification as a literature question.
I initially put Xerxes, but the last part of the clue- "defeated by Alexander the Great"- was enough to lead me toward Darius. I was named after Alexander the Great, and my Jboard name is a word I invented for one of his infantrymen, so it's a good thing I changed my answer!
Hoping for a third lap
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

1-1-1 to start. If I can avoid relegation this season then I need only pony up another year's dues and then avoid a slew of forfeits the following season to have played more games in the A rundle than any other, so I guess that's what I'm living for right now.

It was somewhat bumming Friday to have switched multimeter to polymeter, but I managed to tie through outblocking. I can't fault my opponent for threeing me on the math question, as he could little have known that cosecant has been my steady go-to on trig function questions from the earliest days of my competitive trivia career.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got credit for "sura", which I could have sworn I have seen as an alternative spelling. I, too, was really surprised by the low get rate on that one.

Fourth season in, and I've always been afraid to ask: What is generally considered a good DE %?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:32 am I got credit for "sura", which I could have sworn I have seen as an alternative spelling. I, too, was really surprised by the low get rate on that one.

Fourth season in, and I've always been afraid to ask: What is generally considered a good DE %?
I had sura, too. I dont think that I was conflating it with Tom Cruise’s daughter, especially since it’s a transliteration. For DE, I’d say anything above .700 I consider good and above .800 is usually Sandra territory.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Meanwhile, .400 is flat out awful...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I feel like this season has been hard for defense as the question categories are somewhat vague to me. I mean, I'm terrible at Classical Music in general, but knew Juilliard cold and figured most people would be able to figure it out. I also wasn't sure how to classify the normal school Q, and I certainly didn't treat it as American History. Finally, my only miss yesterday was the board game question which is a game I'd never heard of despite regularly attending game nights with friends and family.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Normal is this season's head-scratcher for me so far. I thought most people would know that. I guess lots of people went down the path of trying to name an Illinois city rather than thinking about what a teachers' college is called.

I'm off to a slow start this season. 1-3-0 and 23rd in my rundle. And my opponent today has a lifetime .842 get rate...
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew that Western Kentucky University (my sister's alma mater) was originally a "normal school". And Thurn and Taxis was one of my first Euro-style board games (and still a favorite). The box includes a little pamphlet with some of the history of the family's mail delivery.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am Normal is this season's head-scratcher for me so far. I thought most people would know that. I guess lots of people went down the path of trying to name an Illinois city rather than thinking about what a teachers' college is called.

I'm off to a slow start this season. 1-3-0 and 23rd in my rundle. And my opponent today has a lifetime .842 get rate...
I, on the other hand, was surprised at how high a get rate it was since I have never heard of a 'Normal' school, so I had nothing there. All I could do was name an Illinois city (Decatur, pretty randomly). And while I've heard of Normal, IL, there's no way I would remember it on its own, let alone know its connection.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:24 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am Normal is this season's head-scratcher for me so far. I thought most people would know that. I guess lots of people went down the path of trying to name an Illinois city rather than thinking about what a teachers' college is called.

I, on the other hand, was surprised at how high a get rate it was since I have never heard of a 'Normal' school, so I had nothing there. All I could do was name an Illinois city (Decatur, pretty randomly). And while I've heard of Normal, IL, there's no way I would remember it on its own, let alone know its connection.
Could be a bit of regional bias on that question. Lots of history of Normal schools in the Midwest where I grew up. Also I recall Bullwinkle moose played football for Wassamatta U and one of their games was against Barely Normal. :)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I am a graduate of Teacher's College/School (that's what we call it in Canada) and I have *never* heard the term Normal School. I couldn't even come up with a guess there.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm losing doubly badly, and I'm blissfully unbothered by it

Last place in A Taiga with the highest DE score .938
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:29 am
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:24 am

Could be a bit of regional bias on that question. Lots of history of Normal schools in the Midwest where I grew up. Also I recall Bullwinkle moose played football for Wassamatta U and one of their games was against Barely Normal. :)
[sarcasm]Of course! How could I forget that their opponent was Barely Normal![/sarcasm] (But yeah, it's amazing some of the things you remember.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Being in academics, I have an inside track on those sorts of questions, but I also had a friend who went to IL St in Normal, so that one was a no-brainer. The Thurn und Taxis question was accessible only from Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49. No shame, only points.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I see on the LL forum that courier was accepted for the Thurn & Taxis question. That was actually my first guess, but ended up going with banking. Drat.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I ended up guessing transportation because "Taxis." I could argue that mail delivery is technically transportation, but that would be an awfully long stretch, and it wouldn't change my loss either. Currently 3-1 in my rundle after my last opponent picked up all 6 correct answers. Considering their record thus far I'm a little suspicious, but only a little. This batch of questions was perfectly gettable in the right situation.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:12 am Meanwhile, .400 is flat out awful...
...I just looked in more depth and I'm doing worse on defense than someone with four forfeits. I could probably -randomly- assign defense and do better... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)