LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am I'd like to know how many people who got Wole Soyinka correct have been in the league long enough to remember the last time Thorsten asked about him (LL61 D20 Q2 - https://learnedleague.com/question.php?61&20&2). Q% of 11% back then, so at least he's consistently obscure.
I've been around long enough.

Missed it then, missed it now, and I'm sure I will miss it the next time it comes up. That's just not a name I'm going to remember.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am I'd like to know how many people who got Wole Soyinka correct have been in the league long enough to remember the last time Thorsten asked about him (LL61 D20 Q2 - https://learnedleague.com/question.php?61&20&2). Q% of 11% back then, so at least he's consistently obscure.

I will say the only reason I got this right was because of the previous question (I said Chinua Achebe the last time).
I got it both then and now. To me, Nobel + Nigeria + playwright is Pavlovian for Soyinka. I know Achebe only as a novelist.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 am Somehow I guessed cup stacking : I was looking for newish 'sports' with CS initials and hit on it. The number pattern could have been related to the size of the stacks ( I really know nothing about it), so it was worth a shot.

I knew Achebe as an author from Nigeria, and I knew Fugard as a playwright from Africa. With no expectation of either being right, I went with the latter.

I'm now in a 5 game losing streak, and 8-game non-winning streak, despite having my best season ever for correct answers (averaging 5 right in that streak). LL is weird.
I did the same thing...locked in on the CS until I came up with something weird, and the rest including possibly Speed Stacking came into place.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:13 amPlus I saw DHK lost to a 9(6), which I find to be um, unusual, since there wasn't a single other 9(6) in all of the other matches I track, including among my friends on there.
Looking back, it's also (at least) his 3rd 9(6) against a boardie in 3 seasons, plus a 9(5) against me earlier this season. I think you used an apt word to describe the stats as a whole.

I lucked into getting cup stacking, for similar reasons as boson, but didn't even get the win thanks to defensive lapses. My opponent had relatively weak areas in math/art (Moebius) and food/drink (Rombauer) and nailed those, and ended up beating me 5(3) - 4(4).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:09 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:13 amPlus I saw DHK lost to a 9(6), which I find to be um, unusual, since there wasn't a single other 9(6) in all of the other matches I track, including among my friends on there.
Looking back, it's also (at least) his 3rd 9(6) against a boardie in 3 seasons, plus a 9(5) against me earlier this season. I think you used an apt word to describe the stats as a whole.
Given that the person in question is mired in 7th place in a C Rundle, I'm more inclined to think it was just a stroke of luck than anything else. But it does seem unusual given that Bahnaman, Perry, Blish, Mueller, Kelso, etc. didn't get all 6. Plus looking at her stats, she had a TCA of 55 rookie season, which jumped to the 90s each subsequent season and is on pace for a 98 this season. A few things that make you go "Hmmm ... "
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bwahahahahahahaha, I love that this is your go-to list of 5 top players, alietr. you always make me laugh.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Was also trying to come up with Achebe. Couldn't remember it at the time, so put down Prince E-mailscam.

Answered place names for the music question. Guess it was too broad, but I only knew the Kansas song and didn't want to risk being too specific, either.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Andys favorite players include those that were ranked 1st, 5th, 19th, and...103rd after 2 rounds of the most recent championship.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm Andys favorite players include those that were ranked 1st, 5th, 19th, and...103rd after 2 rounds of the most recent championship.
Actually, they're friends of mine that do the best out of my friends that I track. Joon should've been in there, too (another one who didn't get all 6 yesterday). I didn't mean to imply they're my favorite LLamas. I'm aware of your opinion of one of them.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:39 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm Andys favorite players include those that were ranked 1st, 5th, 19th, and...103rd after 2 rounds of the most recent championship.
Actually, they're friends of mine that do the best out of my friends that I track. Joon should've been in there, too (another one who didn't get all 6 yesterday). I didn't mean to imply they're my favorite LLamas. I'm aware of your opinion of one of them.
It's not opinion.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 am
I've been around long enough.

Missed it then, missed it now, and I'm sure I will miss it the next time it comes up. That's just not a name I'm going to remember.
There've been a good number of repeats this season, mostly stuff I missed both times. Best way to nab points is to review the last 5 years or so. Why I don't do this, I'll never know.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Gropius? No, he’s that Bauhaus guy. Balthus? Nope. I knew it ended in -us but I wasn’t getting to Moebius at 11pm last night

Cup stacking is a thing??
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:25 pm Gropius? No, he’s that Bauhaus guy. Balthus? Nope. I knew it ended in -us but I wasn’t getting to Moebius at 11pm last night

I put down the only sport starting with SS I could think of: synchronized swimming. I have no idea what the individual competition for that is supposed to look like.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am Did everyone overthink the Milo question?

Louvre + Aphrodite sculpture = Venus de Milo. Milo must be the island.

I lost to a 9(5) because I gave this question a zero. I guess I would have lost to a 9(6) if my opponent got it... but that just feels inevitable instead of being bad defense on my part.
Yup. And my mental train of thought led to a dead-end in Crete. Not that it mattered. My opponent, who is in first place (and deservedly so), ran the table while I had two wrong counting the Venus de Milo question.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:25 pm Gropius? No, he’s that Bauhaus guy. Balthus? Nope. I knew it ended in -us but I wasn’t getting to Moebius at 11pm last night

I put down the only sport starting with SS I could think of: synchronized swimming. I have no idea what the individual competition for that is supposed to look like.
Synchronized swimming and speed skating were all I could think of. While your concern about synchro is in regard to what individual competition would look like, mine is what a relay would look like.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Synchronized swimming and speed skating were all I could think of. While your concern about synchro is in regard to what individual competition would look like, mine is what a relay would look like.
While I get putting down the best you can come up with, I am curious what your thoughts were regarding the original abbreviation with the CS and how it fit your guesses (or if it didn't and you went with what you had)?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 pm

While I get putting down the best you can come up with, I am curious what your thoughts were regarding the original abbreviation with the CS and how it fit your guesses (or if it didn't and you went with what you had)?
Cooperative swimming, maybe? I didn't think that far, I don't think.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So putting down Panama for what we handed over in the treaty is acceptable, even though it is flat out wrong. But saying the musical groups were named for places, which is at least technically correct even though not the exact answer, is not acceptable.

Got it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LL offers plenty of time while I play in under five minutes most days. I've seen cup stacking through many avenues, so not unfamiliar to me at all. With more time pondering the question I'm sure I could have solved it. Looking quickly for something to guess I had cornhole.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 pm

"Coordinated swimming" and "competitive skating" (I mean, figure skating is competitive as well, but the objective "be faster" is more directly competitive than the subjective "be better") were the best I could do.