LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by jjwaymee »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 pm I did well on the midseason one day and came in 51st with 450 points. I only missed the video game question.

I had Lebanon down first, too, until rereading it and "civilian" jumped out at me.
I was happy to help Team Horizon by being the top finisher in the B Rundle. I seriously considered moneying Sharknado, but I thought it was going to be somewhat well-known as a "current events" type question as well as a TV/movies subject. Seriously, what else has Tara Reid ever been successful with?!

I actually thought Guyana would give me even more money points than it did. Not only did you have to solve the puzzler question, but then you had to remember in which country it occurred.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Dang. 2 points out of the Top 5 in my Rundle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Prairie came in 31st although I did my part with the top score for C.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I picked the right 5 to money out of my 7 correct. That's a win in my book!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Second in the Taiga R rundle. I would have liked to guess which ones to make money questions a bit better. At least betting on the video game question got a decent number of points.
Last edited by RJRouge on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 pm Second in the Taiga R rundle. I would have liked to guessed which ones to make money questions a bit better. At least betting on the video game question got a decent number of points.
I knew that one would be the one to money.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I felt good about yesterday's set before I submitted, as 4 correct is usually good for a win in D. But I gave my opponent a 3 for Cardi B when pop music was a middle of the road category for them but they still only had a .372 lifetime average in it. When I submitted and saw that Cardi B was correct and that my opponent lived in New York I thought for sure that I was doomed. They did in fact know it, but I once again got lucky and won 8(4)-5(2). For some reason they gave me a 3 for Zaire, although they didn't know that one themselves. They also missed Denver, which I gave a 0, when they were strong in Food/Drink. I also pulled Carlin on a lucky guess; I was about to guess Bill Cosby, but I reread the question and figured that it was someone who was known purely as a comedian, not an actor. I also found it strange to get a 0 on "too big to fail," which I missed, but they may have interpreted as an American History question as much as Business/Econ.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I think my name will be high on the "luckiest llama" list this year. I ended up tying yesterday 2(2)-2(2) getting only Denver and Too Big to Fail despite being sure I was getting at least 4 right. I totally glossed over the year part of the Zaire question (which would've lead me to Zaire) and went with Swaziland since I recently read about their name change. As an engineer who dabbles in geology, I used to know most of the Mohs scale but that was long ago. But I ended up settling on chalk (which has a mohs value of 1, so harder than talc) after discarding Gypsum (2) and not thinking of talc. The tie put me in first in D Magnolia Div 1...no real confidence I'll hold on as I'm only 4th in TCA but near the bottom in CAA.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Has anyone ever won the Maso trophy (most match points) in their league while being relegated?

I'm in striking distance of both, as my winless streak extends to 10 games.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was one of the big group of dummies (35%) that thought "bailout" was a phrase...
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Both I and my opponent put 3 points on the Cardi B question. For me, that was a mistake, and I'd rather not think about why they knew it. I refuse to listen to anything Top 40 from the past several years because I like myself too much for that. At least my other defensive choices were correct.

I just wish there wasn't a rule about avoiding even oblique discussion of the current day's questions, because I really want to oblique right now.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:31 am I was one of the big group of dummies (35%) that thought "bailout" was a phrase...
I was debating between bailout and TBTF. I decided that bailout wasn't a phrase, and that it probably had uses involving ejector seats before 1984.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:31 am I was one of the big group of dummies (35%) that thought "bailout" was a phrase...
I was debating between bailout and TBTF. I decided that bailout wasn't a phrase, and that it probably had uses involving ejector seats before 1984.
I rejected "bailout" as not a phrase and surely in use prior to 1984, but I couldn't come up with "Too big to fail", so I left it blank.

The 87% (52+35) who answered one of those two probably mostly thought "Oh, this is an easy one", which would partially explain the very low average defense (0.9). 35% for a MCWA is remarkably high, possibly the highest I've seen in my 16 seasons.
clprez

Post by clprez »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 pm Prairie came in 31st although I did my part with the top score for C.
I"m in Prairie E rundle and I got the highest score, too. Actually I did better than anybody in Prairie D too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I considered Cardi B and Ariana Grande, and went with the latter, which prevented a 9(6). But I still won in public (and my private opponent, RutterB, missed it too, and we tied at 6(5)).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

That was my first thought as well, but then decided that phrase meant more than one word, so went with "Main Street vs. Wall Street" :oops:
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

RandyG wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:55 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 pm
I rejected "bailout" as not a phrase and surely in use prior to 1984, but I couldn't come up with "Too big to fail", so I left it blank.
But "government bailout" is a phrase.
RandyG wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:55 pm35% for a MCWA is remarkably high, possibly the highest I've seen in my 16 seasons.
The Land Between the Lakes MCWA got 71%, but that was back in LL55.
In and out of the pool four times
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:55 pm35% for a MCWA is remarkably high, possibly the highest I've seen in my 16 seasons.
The Land Between the Lakes MCWA got 71%, but that was back in LL55.
Right! Before my time, but that's come up before on either the LL board or this one.... or maybe both.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I picked New South Wales over Tasmania, got wreckless and said "jumped" without checking the letter counts, had a forehead slapper on Jersey Shore, and despite having seen Home Alone multiple times couldn't remember anything other than The Grinch having clips in it, and thus finished with a 0(0). So I must have lost and fell out of 1st place, right? Nope, my opponent also ended up with a double doughnut. My amazing run of luck continues, and I am still in 1st place by 1 point.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't believe that 37% of llamas made the same careless mistake as me and StevenH ... using the wrong tense of 'jump'.