LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am
boson wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am I knew from the sample questions that the France minileague was going to be tough... but ooh la la.

Not so proud of my 0(1) - 1(1) loss, but I'm not alone. Check out some of the groups, like group 1: https://learnedleague.com/mini/france/i ... p?mltabs=0
So the only one with more than 1 TCA is someone with a French-sounding name with 5 TCA. Yeah, I was interested in this one, saw the sample questions, and opted out.
My group had 1 person with 3 right and 4 with 2 right, including me. Good enough for a 1(2) - 0(1) win. We both got the actress and I got Lanterne Rouge. I've been a fan of the Tour for as long as I can remember so that was a layup...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am So, what did the Violent Femmes have to do with Ireland? I still can't figure it out.
Nothing. Based on comments on the LL board the song was actually played in 2005 on that Irish station! The Femmes won some kind of listener poll or something like that.

I got it right because I knew the Femmes debut album came out in '83 and that they're from Wisconsin, but the Ireland hint wasn't much of a hint! Still lost a tough one yesterday 7(4)-8(4).

Last summer I saw a twin bill of the Violent Femmes and Echo & The Bunnymen play in Vancouver. Great show, but the bands and audience were both decidedly balder and paunchier than the last times I saw either band perform. :D
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ugh. I mused on the France MD1 questions all day and then forgot to submit. Merde! :oops:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost 5(4)-7(4) in the rock n roll ML yesterday. I was shocked that my opponent missed Radiohead, which I zeroed. I have a total of 10 TCA and am in 10th place, while the person who is currently in 9th in my group has 3 TCA.

Maybe I should have played the France ML. I had 3 questions right yesterday (Pelleas et Melisande, Messier, Flowers of Evil). I was surprised by the low get rate on Messier, but agree that the other 5 were hard (but fair).
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Skynyrd/"Free Bird"/plane crash might help.
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am Yeah, I was interested in this one, saw the sample questions, and opted out.
Ditto
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Dang, that 1D maps played easier than I expected...only went 10/12 but i know an extra hour would've gotten me those remaining. Just wasn't in me at the time. (It's...been a long year...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Talk about a forehead slapper on the Franz Ferdinand question. It cost me a win or a tie, as I lost 2(2)-3(1).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 pm Dang, that 1D maps played easier than I expected...only went 10/12 but i know an extra hour would've gotten me those remaining. Just wasn't in me at the time. (It's...been a long year...)
It sure did. I got nine correct and only scored in the 44th percentile. I did biff one of my moneyed questions by guessing "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" for Q12. I've never seen that movie, but it just seemed right!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 pm Dang, that 1D maps played easier than I expected...only went 10/12 but i know an extra hour would've gotten me those remaining. Just wasn't in me at the time. (It's...been a long year...)
It sure did. I got nine correct and only scored in the 44th percentile. I did biff one of my moneyed questions by guessing "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" for Q12. I've never seen that movie, but it just seemed right!
The two I didn't get were Westeros and Discworld. I knew the Westeros one was "The GoT place", but I haven't started that series. Discworld was "That Pratchett one" that I also haven't started. Both are in the Mind Palace, but they're also both in the locked filing cabinet that says 'Beware of the Leopard' on it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I hate to gripe about the RnR ML, but seriously, 3 questions with get rates 16% and under? I know there's a thin line between making it too easy and too hard, but that's kinda making it not very fun to participate in.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

It's amazing how certain bands that are some people's favorites completely miss other people. I'm thinking of Halestorm, which I've never heard of, but also the guy on the LL boards who said he wasn't really familiar with "Come On Eileen". (That particular question was also an example, to me, of anti-TOM, where the only real pertinent part of the question was "Wisconsin", and all the stuff about Ireland led a lot of people away from the answer.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm (That particular question was also an example, to me, of anti-TOM, where the only real pertinent part of the question was "Wisconsin", and all the stuff about Ireland led a lot of people away from the answer.)
As explained in the recap thread, the author included the Irish radio station nugget because he thought it was an interesting bit of trivia. Although it may be, it seems like it would have been better relegated to the recap thread rather than in the actual question. We've come to expect that details in the question are there for a reason.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:29 pm
teapot37 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 pm (That particular question was also an example, to me, of anti-TOM, where the only real pertinent part of the question was "Wisconsin", and all the stuff about Ireland led a lot of people away from the answer.)
As explained in the recap thread, the author included the Irish radio station nugget because he thought it was an interesting bit of trivia. Although it may be, it seems like it would have been better relegated to the recap thread rather than in the actual question. We've come to expect that details in the question are there for a reason.
Another reminder of just how good Thorsten is.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

One-Day Special, Cake, Question #6 recalls Emily Rollman's $50K question on WWTBAM:

$50,000
Which of the following foods is named after a person and NOT the country implied by its name?
A: German chocolate cake B: French fries
C: Dutch apple pie D: English muffin

Emily decides to walk away.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 pm One-Day Special, Cake, Question #6 recalls Emily Rollman's $50K question on WWTBAM:

$50,000
Which of the following foods is named after a person and NOT the country implied by its name?
A: German chocolate cake B: French fries
C: Dutch apple pie D: English muffin

Emily decides to walk away.
Helps to know the original name was
Spoiler
German's chocolate cake
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Defense is always fun in mini leagues. Yesterday I assigned zero to the Ted Nugent question and my opponent assigned it three. Conversely, I assigned three to De Stijl and he assigned it zero. We both got De Stijl, but he missed Nugent.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Well, I managed a top 100 finish in the Confusing Lyrics one-day. Could have done a little better, even, but I'd have sworn Halley's Comet was on a seventy-SIX year schedule.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am Defense is always fun in mini leagues. Yesterday I assigned zero to the Ted Nugent question and my opponent assigned it three. Conversely, I assigned three to De Stijl and he assigned it zero. We both got De Stijl, but he missed Nugent.
It sure is. In the France ML, my opponent got Moulin Rouge (which I gave a 0 for) and assigned me 3 points for it. Thanks so much! Also, gave me 2 points for petanque which is obscure and not an obvious sports question. All added up to a 5(3) - 0(1) win.
In Rock and Roll, the only one I got was Mother Love Bone (I'm a big Pearl Jam fan) and was assigned 3 points, good enough for a 3(1) - 1(1) win. Somehow, despite not knowing many answers for sure, I'm 3-3 and if I could've remembered the Runaways I'd be 4-2.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:41 amWell, I managed a top 100 finish in the Confusing Lyrics one-day. Could have done a little better, even, but I'd have sworn Halley's Comet was on a seventy-SIX year schedule.
Well, from what I know, it is, but it's probably not an exact 76-year schedule.

It probably makes scoring far more complex, but on questions like that, I really wish the smiths (my sense is Thorsten tends not to write that sort of question) would accept a narrow range of answers, e.g., +/-1, rather than insisting on getting it exactly right. Being off by one on a question with such a broad range and getting no credit really grinds my gears, y'know?

Whereas putting Washington DC instead of Washington Post for Q9 on the Newspaper Journalism 1DS, that's on me. Still pisses me off, but mainly because I moneyed it and those points would have had me tied for 20th instead of 102nd.
In and out of the pool four times