Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, November 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Do you think Maya totally spaced and just assumed she could bet as much as she wanted as long as she stayed ahead of her opponents' pre-FJ totals? That's the only thing I can think of. She just totally forgot that they could double their scores.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

44 right.

Writer's Cheat Sheet (2), Science (5), What's Cooking? (3), Celebrities (3), American Quotations (4), B Minus (3)

Classic TV (4), Government & Politics (3), Anagrams (4), Freshwater Fish (4), European Capitals (5), Title Names (4)

Lach Trash: 54°40', Abraham Lincoln, Ted Cruz, sycophant, The X-Files; Daily Double: salmon

A quick get with the "she" and "upholsterer" leading to flag.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:09 pm I'm surprised, but not surprised at easy misses like "caucus", and TS like (vomit in mouth) Ted Cruz.
Not to mention not recognizing the Gettysburg Address.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OldSchoolChamp wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:09 pm I'm surprised, but not surprised at easy misses like "caucus", and TS like (vomit in mouth) Ted Cruz.
Not to mention not recognizing the Gettysburg Address.
The only reason I knew "Shall not perish from this earth" is because there was a very early $10,000 Pyramid maingame where someone had to convey that to their partner.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 pm
And I'm certainly not going to root against her due to that inexplicable wager. I think she's great.
+1
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 pm Do you think Maya totally spaced and just assumed she could bet as much as she wanted as long as she stayed ahead of her opponents' pre-FJ totals? That's the only thing I can think of. She just totally forgot that they could double their scores.
That's an interesting possibility. You may well be correct. More generally, it may have just been something she didn't think about ahead of time. Developing a strategy under the lights could lead to a result the contestant can't even explain. I love critiquing wagers, but I take some time off during these special tournaments. Kids, Teens, Collegiates, Teachers, Celebrities, and ... what's the other one ... Self-Important Windbags? Anyway, those people don't necessarily come in as regular watchers of the show. They may not have thought through even basic nuances. I'm ok with that.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:00 am
Celebrities, and ... what's the other one ... Self-Important Windbags? Anyway, those people don't necessarily come in as regular watchers of the show. They may not have thought through even basic nuances. I'm ok with that.
you're being redundant :lol:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:00 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 pm Do you think Maya totally spaced and just assumed she could bet as much as she wanted as long as she stayed ahead of her opponents' pre-FJ totals? That's the only thing I can think of. She just totally forgot that they could double their scores.
That's an interesting possibility. You may well be correct. More generally, it may have just been something she didn't think about ahead of time. Developing a strategy under the lights could lead to a result the contestant can't even explain. I love critiquing wagers, but I take some time off during these special tournaments. Kids, Teens, Collegiates, Teachers, Celebrities, and ... what's the other one ... Self-Important Windbags? Anyway, those people don't necessarily come in as regular watchers of the show. They may not have thought through even basic nuances. I'm ok with that.
Teachers take the same test and go to the same auditions as everyone else. Even so, not sure why college and teens should be let off the hook. Everyone has the same opportunity to watch the show, or if you’ve never watched, for God’s sake track down someone who has and get them to help you plan strategy.

Everyone in these special tourneys has the same opportunity as those in regular games, to potentially make six figures in just a couple of hours on the stage. If they choose not to take advantage that is their prerogative but if you’re gonna critique wagers don't play favorites.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Ok fine if you want to let the teens off the hook so you aren’t seen as criticizing actual children then ok, but for college students I say let them have it. :)