Friday, November 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, November 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:28 pm TIL that the ball in dodgeball can also be caught.
There are so many regional variants to "dodgeball". I'm most familiar with the one where catching the ball gets the thrower out. I've heard of but I think never played the version where catching the ball resurrects a member of your team.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'll be checking the box that says I got this FJ off melli- (and the knowledge that "honey badger don't care" is a recentish meme). I did not realize badgers were in the weasel family, so that part actually made me question my response a little. But I reasoned that even if badgers in general aren't weasels, the honey badger well could be, just as the horned toad is actually a lizard.

I have absolutely no idea who to root for in the finals. I love them all.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I knew the honey badger meme, easy FJ. Good job Emma.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm not sure I would have gotten FJ if I hadn't seen the viral video by Randall. Still one of the funniest videos ever, IMO. :lol:
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:16 pm Does anyone else think Emma sounds like Georgia Engel (or at least the characters she plays)?
Definitely. On another note, Emma's closing interview comment was absolutely hilarious (and no doubt true).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:53 pm I thought it was a bit in poor taste for Alex to throw shade on Maya's bet to start the game. Is it even fair play for the third group to know who they might face if they get through this game and to get this reminder advice?
Contestants are only sequestered for the quarterfinals. They watch the semis.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

I wonder if Emma got it from the meme that went around. And now I'm cracking up imagining Emma saying "Honey badger don't give a ****."

Came here to see how many all-female finals there have been. Glad to see that question already answered.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Nice job by all three, but part of me wanted to send all three of them to bed without any supper for not knowing that Dak and Zeke play for MY DALLAS COWBOYS. OK, they can have supper, but still....
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:31 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:53 pm I thought it was a bit in poor taste for Alex to throw shade on Maya's bet to start the game. Is it even fair play for the third group to know who they might face if they get through this game and to get this reminder advice?
Duh. Thanks for the dope slap. I'd think the last group has a slight edge, but I can't draw an example where it is unfair. Just different.
And we still got two bad wagers from the also-rans. The leader has bailed them out the last two days so nobody lost due to tragic bets.
I hope nobody pisses away 25 or 50K in the finals with dope bets.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Only missing Khaleed and Steerage)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Baltic, Kendrick Lamar, Dallas Cowboys, Cirque du Soleil, Lactovegetarian
Douglas Squasoni
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I was unaware that melli->honey, but I had enough sense to think of another melli- word: mellifluous. Hmmm - something sweet - honey is sweet - oh, honey badgers were a thing a few years ago - got nothing better so down it goes.

Solid group of finalists. It should be an entertaining couple of games.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:54 am
Duh. Thanks for the dope slap. I'd think the last group has a slight edge, but I can't draw an example where it is unfair. Just different.
Well, there was the Teen Tournament a few years ago where the second SF finished in a triple zero and they gave that spot in the finals to the highest scoring non-winner, which vastly disadvantaged the SF1 players, who didn't know they'd be playing for a wild card. Luckily all of the last three semifinalists had higher scores at the end of Double Jeopardy than the first two non-winners did at the end of theirs, and they all got FJ right whereas the first two non-winners missed theirs, which was sufficient in my mind to override any sense that the SF1 players were wronged in the situation.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:02 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:54 am
Well, there was the Teen Tournament a few years ago where the second SF finished in a triple zero and they gave that spot in the finals to the highest scoring non-winner, which vastly disadvantaged the SF1 players, who didn't know they'd be playing for a wild card. Luckily all of the last three semifinalists had higher scores at the end of Double Jeopardy than the first two non-winners did at the end of theirs, and they all got FJ right whereas the first two non-winners missed theirs, which was sufficient in my mind to override any sense that the SF1 players were wronged in the situation.
Except TPTB didn't know that when they made that decision. They just got lucky that it worked out that way. Judging decisions based on their outcome is really problematic.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, they should have just let the 3 contestants who finished with $0 do a tiebreaker clue. If there are situations where a quarterfinalist who finishes with $0 has to advance to the semifinals--like in the 2003 ToC--then I see no problem with breaking the $0 tie in the semifinals. TPTB could have always taken it as a lesson to change the policy and keep semifinalists sequestered, if they so desired not to let a $0 semifinalist advance to the finals in the future.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:03 pmJudging decisions based on their outcome is really problematic.
I used to think that, but it's always ended up working out for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Euphonium wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:03 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:02 pm Well, there was the Teen Tournament a few years ago where the second SF finished in a triple zero and they gave that spot in the finals to the highest scoring non-winner, which vastly disadvantaged the SF1 players, who didn't know they'd be playing for a wild card. Luckily all of the last three semifinalists had higher scores at the end of Double Jeopardy than the first two non-winners did at the end of theirs, and they all got FJ right whereas the first two non-winners missed theirs, which was sufficient in my mind to override any sense that the SF1 players were wronged in the situation.
Except TPTB didn't know that when they made that decision. They just got lucky that it worked out that way. Judging decisions based on their outcome is really problematic.
I didn't judge the decision based on the outcome; I was relieved when an obviously unfair decision apparently didn't affect the outcome. (I add "apparently" because one SF3 player conceivably could have entered FJ with a lower score than the higher scoring SF1 non-winner with lower DD wagers, but I don't think his two $2,000 bets had anything to do with a wild card being in play. Also, the SF3 pre-FJ leader wagered too small and finished in third, and while I can't say her wager wasn't due to being thrown by the unusual circumstances, it wouldn't be the unfairness of the decision that caused that particular outcome.)
StevenH wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm Yeah, they should have just let the 3 contestants who finished with $0 do a tiebreaker clue. If there are situations where a quarterfinalist who finishes with $0 has to advance to the semifinals--like in the 2003 ToC--then I see no problem with breaking the $0 tie in the semifinals. TPTB could have always taken it as a lesson to change the policy and keep semifinalists sequestered, if they so desired not to let a $0 semifinalist advance to the finals in the future.
My understanding is that they'll now have a tiebreaker clue if this ever happens again.