Friday, November 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MAMMALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Scientific name Mellivora capensis, this 2-word weasel family member was named “most fearless mammal”

Audrey Satchivi: 12400-12400=0
Emma Arnold: 18000+12001=30001 (Finalist)
Rohan Kapileshwari: 15000-14498=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
honey badger (Audrey – What is?) (Rohan – river otter)

Daily Doubles
Emma: 2400+2000
Emma: 11200+2000
Audrey: 8600+3000

Coryats
Audrey: 11400
Emma: 15800
Rohan: 15000

Combined: 42,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Audrey: 4600
Emma: 5600
Rohan: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The opening was another joint bit with coordinated blinking. Alex did not become the fourth this time.

Emma made it to a nice victory with 2/2 on the DDs, lead for the FJ! round and sole solve on the FJ! clue.

My play in the FJ! round put the clue at 25% although the percentage will go up once other precincts are heard from today. To avoid the Hammer I wrote Tasmanian devil just to have a two-word animal even though I realized it was a marsupial when I was done scribbling. My other thought of vampire bat hit me too late and would have at least met the animal type qualification.

MAMMALS plus my remarks in yesterday’s thread had me ready for a miss. Sure enough a self-fulfilling prophecy. I remember there was a fuss about the correct animal a few years back, not that it was going to help me today.

Outchange special for the finals as the 5-4 edge over the guys going into the semis became 3-0 after the semis.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Honey Badger don't care.

Took a second to come up with it, but "melli" = honey clicked to confirm.

(Given that there was a pretty popular honey badger youtube video - that was a bit more than PG-13 - I was a little surprised by this clue. Then again, these kids really were kids when that came out so maybe they've never seen it?).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

In current Marvel comics, Wolverine (X-23) clone Gabrielle Kinney goes by the nom de X of Honey Badger.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

FWIW, the viral video from a few years ago came about (at least according to an interview I read) because the guy who narrated it saw a NatGeo documentary and thought that the subject creatures were fascinating, but the presentation of the documentary was boring. This was a misjudgment, I think -- the documentary is excellent. I don't normally say this about nature documentaries, but this is worth your 45 minutes.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Again, I couldn't get FJ right. That might be 0/5 for me this week, and I thought the Teen Tournament was my best hope for a sweep. Oh well.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

That first category title got my hopes up for a Gordon Lightfoot-themed board.

Also archaeology as a subfield of anthropology is going to make some people I know who went to Boston University mad (and elsewhere, too). The four-field approach is NOT universal.

(also did Emma run that category?)

As in her first game, Emma took over in DJ round once everyone else had to slow down to think on the harder clues and her knowledge and ability to work out what she didn't know outright outweighed her slower speed on the buzzer.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Does anyone else think Emma sounds like Georgia Engel (or at least the characters she plays)?

Guessed honey badger based on melli = honey, but had very low confidence.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TIL that the ball in dodgeball can also be caught.

For some reason, WNEM ran an ad for J! during J! again.

R&B was an 0/5. I recognized all of the artists, but none of the songs.

An artist I follow uses the name Monoceros for his stream, but I never knew it was a real word.

I keep forgetting that Hansel and Gretel was also an opera.

Somehow I precalled that FJ! would be a mustelid. I got it from just "mellivora capensis".
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I loved the Savannah DD. I still remember learning the acronym SALMA in my 8th grade Georgia history class to learn the 5 cities that have served as Georgia's capital.

I knew FJ, but only because I already knew the factoid about the honey badger having the general distinction of being the most fearless animal. I don't know what the hell the TOM was supposed to be, unless it had something to do with the videos that have already been referenced in this thread. But this still seems like too trivial a clue. I am just glad that it didn't cost the best player in what was otherwise a great game.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

StevenH wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 pm I knew FJ, but only because I already knew the factoid about the honey badger having the general distinction of being the most fearless animal. I don't know what the hell the TOM was supposed to be, unless it had something to do with the videos that have already been referenced in this thread. But this still seems like too trivial a clue.
Even if I didn't know the "fearless" part, I recognized the melli- prefix as referring to honey. And badgers are in the weasel family.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats to Emma for another very strong second half performance and locking up a berth in the finals. I got FJ today, but agree with others in thinking this one was pretty tough, at least compared to others this week.

ETA: Was not expecting a five year old Drake song in the top box of a Teen Tourney music category. :D

ETA Again: Looks like TJF answered my question. Very cool that we have another all-woman final (fifth time in show history as it turns out).
Last edited by threearruda on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^There were three young ladies that made the finals of the 1992, Feb-Mar 1999, and 2012 Teen Tournaments. Also, the May 1988 Seniors Tournament had three ladies make the finals as well.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

Rainy Day P.E. (3), All About Germany (4), Interjections (4), Fictional Places (5), Laying Down Some R&B & Hip-Hop Vocals (1), Check One Two (5)

-ologies (2), 'Teens in History (5), The Arts (3), 13-to-17-letter Words (3), State Facts (5), Whatcha Watching? (2)

Lach Trash: Baltic Sea, Dallas Cowboys

The only two-word animal I could think of was a prairie dog; I had a feeling that Emma's response was correct when it was revealed, and just before Alex's confirmation.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:04 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 pm I knew FJ, but only because I already knew the factoid about the honey badger having the general distinction of being the most fearless animal. I don't know what the hell the TOM was supposed to be, unless it had something to do with the videos that have already been referenced in this thread. But this still seems like too trivial a clue.
Even if I didn't know the "fearless" part, I recognized the melli- prefix as referring to honey. And badgers are in the weasel family.
I was not familiar with the melli/honey connection, but now that I think about it I maybe should have made a melli=mellitus=diabetes connection.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I thought it was a bit in poor taste for Alex to throw shade on Maya's bet to start the game. Is it even fair play for the third group to know who they might face if they get through this game and to get this reminder advice?

THREE GIRLS! YAY! I believe I'll join team Maya but will just be happy if they all play well and nobody loses on a stupid mistake.

No surprise that Dak Prescott isn't a household name to this demographic. I don't think they even knew the two were football players, much less know the 'Boys. - I think they would all have struggled with any football player's team except maybe Tom Brady.

I immediately picked wolverine from the "fearless" TOM until twelvefootgirl repeated the "two word" part of the clue which was a direct jump to the solve. I know "honey badger" as a euphemism similar to "pit bull", but know nothing about the critter. And even though we have ten hives full of Apis Mellifera, I didn't pick up that TOM until reading this board :oops: . I think the writers planned on the kids knowing it as the figure of speech, not the zoological aspect.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

thought the final jeopardy clue was easy...i remember honey badger being trendy about 6-7 years ago....the saying "honey badger "don't" care" and the cocky pos american football player from lsu that took on the nickname of "honey badger"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

One of my favorite F1 pilots, Daniel Ricciardo, has the Honey Badger moniker. Took me about 15 seconds, but I dredged it up.