Monday, November 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, November 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:14 am I don't constrain the political bias as much as I should but I do delete a lot of content after typing it so as to keep the board apolitical. I am always happy to agree to disagree.
For the record, that is what Reretaken Down is for.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:14 am I don't constrain the political bias as much as I should but I do delete a lot of content after typing it so as to keep the board apolitical. I am always happy to agree to disagree.
For the record, that is what Reretaken Down is for.
tldr; the boldface stuff

I thought that was for when I DON'T agree to disagree :). The delete key is all of ours friend. Politically, I just tend to defend evidence based science and facts. I didn't politicize them, but can't let junk science go unchallenged. Can't do anything about reason and faith :roll:, they aren't in my lane . I've tried to politely post in some echo chambers but it only matters how loud you are, not how much you suspend disbelief to yell it. You have to pledge fealty to RedState.com just to comment :!:

(mentally resisting deletion of the above paragraph :lol: ....)

Thanks for the info - and thanks to you and the mods and the unseen back roomers for keeping this site entertaining, and informative. I sort of figured out what that thread was, maybe I'll jump in and poke some trolls! Or, maybe I'll just sneak in some dog whistles typing in my new Nike jacket before the migrant caravan comes and destroy all that I hold dear ;) .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

seems like I missed quite the party...

Concord River almost threw me off track as I tried to think of New England writers. Went back to Thoreau for lack of alternatives. For some reason I always associate Walden with Minnesota.
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 amAs another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice?
Tara Lipinski?

Sometimes a cartoon voice clears up all by itself. I have a cousin who as a kid sounded for all the world like Tweety Bird, lisp and all. I visited her some years later and she had become a disc jockey. And the next time I saw her she had just missed out on an opportunity to voice a Robotech character when they decided to stop importing the series to the US.
Tara Lipinski was a skater, not a gymnast!
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:05 am
da Doctah wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 amAs another poster has said - I have doubts that this is anything but a natural voice. The pitch is just fine, even some males have helium voices. Remember that Olympic gymnast a few years ago (citation needed, sorry) with the Minnie Mouse voice?
Tara Lipinski?

Sometimes a cartoon voice clears up all by itself. I have a cousin who as a kid sounded for all the world like Tweety Bird, lisp and all. I visited her some years later and she had become a disc jockey. And the next time I saw her she had just missed out on an opportunity to voice a Robotech character when they decided to stop importing the series to the US.
Since I made the teaser comment, I need to make the reveal; I think it was Kerri Strug, 1996. She was part of the "Magnificent Seven", and famously took a second vault attempt on a broken leg after clinching the gold medal with the first attempt. I just now listened to her in an interview, and it wasn't that extreme, but I do remember buzz about it - not especially hate but it would be on today's internet. Luckily it seems she just missed Dr. Nasser's child abuse reign of terror but she did endure the Bela Karolyi version.

Since then, I pretty much have boycotted all the hype and coverage of this sport due to the systemic child abuse and depriving pre-pubescent girls from a natural growth development. And, I was annoyed they were more popular than the central event in Olympics, my beloved Track and Field. They would show a complete evening of exhibition gymnastics and give a 20 second clip of the pole vaulting action, or 8 seconds of the shot put medal ceremony. Things have improved with the glut of media platforms.
I'm pretty sure Kerri Strug had to do the last vault that she did at the 1996 Olympics to secure the team gold medal (the gold was not already secured)...Bela was a hard ass, but he loved all his gymnasts and would not have sent Kerri out to do it again if he knew her ankle was broken.

I'm a big Track & Field fan too!!! I remember there being WAY too much hype and coverage of gymnastics in Atlanta 1996. The TV networks know what draws eyeballs to the screen. I love that now every second of every event, even javelin, is available live on demand with the NBC Sports App.