Kelly standing in for Johnny Gilbert

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Kelly standing in for Johnny Gilbert

Post by Robert K S »

On Facebook Kelly Miyahara reports she has begun standing in for Johnny as announcer. Would it be wrong to fear that at the age of 94 Johnny has given his last introduction?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Kelly standing in for Johnny Gilbert

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 am On Facebook Kelly Miyahara reports she has begun standing in for Johnny as announcer. Would it be wrong to fear that at the age of 94 Johnny has given his last introduction?
Let's hope not, but at that age it's hard not to think it.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Testing to see how this shows up:

Stand-in for one week and Johnny returns?
Stand-in for one week and a bunch of others are trying out for the gig?

Perhaps Johnny could make a last hurrah at the All Stars Games Tournament?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I guess it's also possible that they'll have Johnny record those intros later, and we'll never hear Kelly do them.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hasn't someone said in the past that if Johnny misses a taping, one of the Clue Crew does it in studio and Johnny is dubbed over in post?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 am Hasn't someone said in the past that if Johnny misses a taping, one of the Clue Crew does it in studio and Johnny is dubbed over in post?
You are correct; this is a normal occurrence.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 am
Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:05 am On Facebook Kelly Miyahara reports she has begun standing in for Johnny as announcer. Would it be wrong to fear that at the age of 94 Johnny has given his last introduction?
Let's hope not, but at that age it's hard not to think it.
Every season it seems that the speculation comes back up that AT and/or JG may be ready for the Old Game Show People's Home. Surely neither one of them can leave before I make my appearance, right? I mean, c'mon!?

Only 20 weeks that I've been in the contestant pool (this time) and 58 to go, so there's plenty of time to invite me out there to shake the hands of two of my favorite people.

Someone on this board once wrote that "you haven't lived until you've heard Johnny Gilbert announce your name." Yeah, that's on MY bucket list.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

When I appeared in late 2009 it was already common for Johnny to miss tapings and to have to re-record intros on returning to work. I was grateful that he was in and healthy on my tape day (and pronounced my name right on the first try). I also recall, on watching some tapings from the other side of the risers on a later date, seeing Harry Eisenberg make a point of asking Johnny how he was feeling (and that was all that he said to him). This was almost a decade ago now.

I don't recall contestants getting an opportunity to shake Johnny Gilbert's hand, or otherwise interact with him, unfortunately, although audience members get to hear him give a warm-up spiel.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Johnny was out for the taping when I was an alternate on March 25, 2009, but he was there the following week when I taped.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 pm I don't recall contestants getting an opportunity to shake Johnny Gilbert's hand, or otherwise interact with him, unfortunately, although audience members get to hear him give a warm-up spiel.
I have heard stories of contestants specifically requesting a picture with Johnny; Johnny came over and obliged.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan