Online Test Discussion (Pacific), January 19, 2012

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Online Test Discussion (Pacific), January 19, 2012

Post by ej!fan »

44 ... Much easier than yesterday but that happens when there's no pressure and no distractions.

Got lucky on a lot of WAGs but chose the wrong T president and the wrong M European country.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

shortcomment wrote:Since they specifically tell us "last names only are OK," I wonder if they'll accept Caesar Salad instead of Julius Caesar Salad...didn't have time to go back and add it after I thought about it.
Not in a "Before and After" category, I'm afraid ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

shortcomment wrote:Since they specifically tell us "last names only are OK," I wonder if they'll accept Caesar Salad instead of Julius Caesar Salad!
no, before and after requires it all.

Wish I'd've waited, 45 today compared to Tuesday's 39.

Mr. Mastodon Farm

Post by Mr. Mastodon Farm »

I felt pretty good while I was taking this one, but after tallying up it looks like I'm riiiight on the borderline. 33 definite right answers and four questionables:

13: Can't remember what I said. I think I said Amazing Race--it's the show I was thinking of--but I can't be certain.

29: Said "Plain Dealer" instead of Cleveland Plain Dealer. I fIgure this is okay, since Cleveland was in the clue.

43: Said Rockefeller. Last names only are okay, right?

44: Said Ferdinand instead of Franz Ferdinand (stupid risk in retrospect, since I knew it was Franz). Is Franz his first name or part of a compound last name or title or something?

Glee and Westminster Dog Show are two that I figured out without enough time to change my answer. So frustrating! But still, I'm pretty happy b/c I improved over last year despite having had no time to prepare this year. I sure hope it's enough to get the call!

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Paucle wrote:
shortcomment wrote:Since they specifically tell us "last names only are OK," I wonder if they'll accept Caesar Salad instead of Julius Caesar Salad!
no, before and after requires it all.
Besides, "Caesar" isn't exactly a "last name," is it?

shortcomment
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by shortcomment »

Yeah, didn't think that one had a chance.

Veni, vidi, trenta sette.
Last edited by shortcomment on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

reddpen wrote:If I missed more than five I'll be surprised.
Missed exactly five, though I missed predicting all of them.

5. put K. biggest dope move of the night. no, I don't play, but jeeeez.
25. guessed Croatia. Hat-tip to gnash!
31. typed Sarah Palin to amuse the scorer
32. no chance
45. put E.B. White. Much better writer than Seuss...

Guesses that hit: Tudor (75% sure), mushroom, Rockefeller (last name really OK with so many of them?)
Near-blanks: the Plain Dealer (apologies to Schliemann)
Lots of lit and pop lit: Catch-22, Eliot, Le Carré, O'Neill, Bossypants (a scream: too funny for public transit--highest reco), Water for Elephants, Kite Runner (finished it last week), Seuss, Stein, Gladwell. Who was it precalled the need to know literature? Got any stock tips?
Back in the pool

ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

I was happy that I scored a 40 tonight. My best score yet.

My most amusing wrong answer was for #12. Let's just say that my answer was a certain river in Georgia, instead of a certain lake in Florida. And I'm really NOT a country music fan! (So thanks for nuthin', Alan Jackson!)

I missed #20 because I didn't read the category. I was thinking of novelists instead of playwrights and made a guess on that one.

#24 was the only one that I really should have known, if that light bulb had come on for me sooner. All my other misses were legitimate "no idea" or "can't remember that in 15 sec."

#31 was a bit annoying for me, because I had been working really hard on memorizing opera composers. When the clue appeared, I was all excited about typing in "Puccini." And then I realized what they were looking for. Blast.

As a Chemistry teacher, I think my misspelled answer to #32 is totally justifiable.

Best wishes to all who passed the test (and my sincere sympathies to those who didn't...I have been frustrated for several years by consistently missing the cutoff!)

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

The easiest of the 3 by far. Still only about 32/50. I see at least 7 or 8 that were getable by me with just a little more thought. It's the usual names of places, poetry and opera that are my problem areas.

Tuesday's test seems to be the only one lacking in any sports question. I don't mind sports questions, but tonight had the horrible university sports team. If it's not a pro sport, I have only a pure guessing chance. Wednesday had an Olympic question a bit too far of my radar.

I can actually imagine someone getting a perfect score on this one.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

41 this time (thanks, Plasticene!). Or 40, depending on whether I came up with the Plain Dealer fast enough. Most of my misses felt stupider this time, and I don't think I've ever heard of a valance previously.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Can't say I'm not consistent. I took Tuesday's "for fun" (still in the pool) and got 46/50. Wednesday's off the transcript, 47/50. Thursday's off the transcript, 46/50. Very similar to how I officially (and unofficially) did last year, and at the audition in May. Now if I only had an interesting enough life and personality to wow Maggie et al. ;)
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

earendel

Post by earendel »

This was an odd test IMO because there were a lot more pop culture questions and yet I did better than I did on Wednesday's, and equal to my score on the real test Tuesday (44).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

billiej

Post by billiej »

This one felt like the easiest of the three but I scored the same as Tues (38) - of course I would pick the hardest one (Wed-29) to take for real. :twisted: And it wasn't just a pressure thing; while a few of my misses on Wed I can attribute to brain freeze, most I just wasn't going to get no matter what - even reading the transcript afterwards it felt harder than the other two.

Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

I felt like this was the easiest of the 3. Lots more pop culture and questions about things that are very current. I just felt like there were lots more questions where it was easy to give an educated guess.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Took this one for fun off of someone's YouTube video. To me, it seemed the easiest of the three and I got my highest score of the three nights: 47. Of course, easy with these tests is very subjective. Put Kathy Griffin instead of Tina Fey. I was drawing a blank and wrote Griffin just to have something there. Again drew a blank on "valance". And wrote Tolkien for Seuss, though with a little more thought, I could have figured out Seuss.

plasticene

Post by plasticene »

Here's the link to my video: http://youtu.be/4h-1UHU4vGI

I found this test much harder than Tuesday night's (46), and about the same as Wednesday's (44). Tonight's score was 43, so it's still a comfortable pass.

I missed iron (hematite), q (chess), Eugene O'Neill, Water for Elephants, Skopje, Plain Dealer, and Dr. Seuss.

Of those, Skopje's the only one I had no chance on, even though I did a European Capitals quiz on Sporcle a couple of weeks ago and noted how terrible I was at the newer ones.

Eugene O'Neill's name just wouldn't come to me, but the Plain Dealer was nowhere near the tip of my tongue. Iron makes sense, since hematite's red, but I couldn't make the connection in time. I changed my answer from k to q on the chess question, then panicked and tried to change it back, and ended up with a blank answer. It took me over ten seconds to realize that I had indeed heard of a novel about a circus, but it was too late to get it in. The nonsense word Bippolo should have clued me in to Seuss, but I guess I thought it might be a real thing, so stupidly guessed Kipling.

Rockefeller definitely counts, since they explicitly say that last names are acceptable. But now that I think about it, they could justifiably disallow Ferdinand for Franz Ferdinand, which would lower my score to 42.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I just finished taking this for fun off the transcript (many thanks to the boardies who provide these invaluable services).

For a while I thought I had stumbled onto the Kids Test. I was absolutely certain about answer after answer, and didn't record a miss until #23, and only missed that because I foolishly added another word (LIKE Water for Elephants).

Finally missed a few near the end to spoil my chances of my best-ever score, but by the time I did, I had easily wrapped up nearly 40 correct responses, and I ended up with 41. For comparison, 39 on the Wednesday test, and 43 on Tuesday (when it counted!).

Overall possibly the easiest contestant quiz I've ever seen, and I've seen a bunch.

I've still never watched Glee, also have trouble with recent nations (and capitals) and recent books and authors.

Good luck to all of you taking this for real.

okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Took this for fun off the video (covering up the answer box with a post it).

42! (I think that's the highest I've ever scored on a practice test) I always score 39 or 40.

Tuesday - 40
Wednesday - 39
Thursday - 42

Pulled Cleveland Plain Dealer with three seconds left and wrote furiously. Got it down right before answer switched. Thank you to the episode of "Hot in Cleveland" I watched yesterday (don't judge me, Betty White's a national treasure).

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

plasticene wrote:Apologies for any mistakes. There are two intentional misspellings, since they occurred on the test: the category name in #10 and the hotel in #33.
Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost skipped the Central Time test because I wasn't feeling well. I got a 35 on that one, assuming a certain ruling. If I'd waited? I'd have a 40 minimum. 41 if "Rockefeller" is acceptable for "John D. Rockefeller, Jr." I'm guessing it is. So allow me to repeat myself.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Got 35 of 50 right. Don't know how this would have done for national

PS: Would "FYR Macedonia" be OK for "macedonia"?