Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

Good old Polycarp, the patron saint of earaches and dysentery.

I will be interested to see who picked what presidents for this one. I went with WH Harrison just because he was the first to die in office and I was pretty sure Webster was in that era.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Casey would have won this if not for his
HUBRIS!

I was carefully watching the game for Casey to prevent a run away. It happened on that high dollar clue that the champ got wrong and that Casey quickly rebounded on. I don't remember what that one is right now.

After that, the champ never regained runaway position. When Casey got the Daily Double on the last clue, I was saying to myself, bet small enough that you don't put the champion into a runaway.

I don't know how, but as soon as the clue was read, I knew he wouldn't get it.

I knew that Zackary Taylor had offered the vice presidency to Webster. I suspected that the irony was the both of the presidents died in office, and I knew Lincoln hadn't offered it to Webster, so it had to be William Henry Harrison.

I was expecting a reversal on Joint Chiefs of Staff when the question was going for cjcs, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:53 pm Casey would have won this if not for his
HUBRIS!

I was carefully watching the game for Casey to prevent a run away. It happened on that high dollar clue that the champ got wrong and that Casey quickly rebounded on. I don't remember what that one is right now.

After that, the champ never regained runaway position. When Casey got the Daily Double on the last clue, I was saying to myself, bet small enough that you don't put the champion into a runaway.

I don't know how, but as soon as the clue was read, I knew he wouldn't get it.

I knew that Zackary Taylor had offered the vice presidency to Webster. I suspected that the irony was the both of the presidents died in office, and I knew Lincoln hadn't offered it to Webster, so it had to be William Henry Harrison.

I was expecting a reversal on Joint Chiefs of Staff when the question was going for cjcs, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Chairman was in the clue, it was just looking for "Joint Chiefs of Staff".

Not gonna reply to the rest of the garbage you spew because the only result I could see is that I would feel dumber for lowering myself to it.

There is no place for stuff like that directed at a contestant, or at least I hope this isn't a place for it.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

bigblue999 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:42 pm I was able to get both President's, since both Harrison and Taylor died very early into their presidential terms.
My first thought was that Webster was a Whig, and the Whigs only ever won two presidential elections: Harrison in 1840 and Taylor in 1848. Realizing that both died in office, and both of their running mates (Tyler and Fillmore) succeeded to the presidency, sealed the deal. Too bad; Webster would have made a better president than either of them.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 pm Today's FJ! clue had me curious if all of the U.S. Presidents had been part of a correct response in the FJ! round whether solo or part of a group.

Donald Trump has no hits for the distinction. The other one has been mentioned in the wording in one FJ! clue though never for a correct response.
Spoiler
Benjamin Harrison
While checking on the research I was reminded of this FJ! clue that would be problematic today with its 1997 wording.

#2966, aired 1997-06-23 U.S. PRESIDENTS: The Roosevelt dime made its debut the year this president was born

The guys:
Spoiler
Bill Clinton back then and since then George W. Bush and Donald Trump

I don’t think President Trump was the answer but wasn’t Mar-A-Lago a recent FJ answer?

Anyway, good game until that DD3. Casey certainly had a “whatever!” attitude. Plenty of LT in that game. Dead reckoning surprised me as a TS. FJ was easy enough for me to get WHH but I couldn’t come up with Tay Tay. Tired from a long drive!
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Completely blanked on Ponchartrain. Couldn't get Champlain out of my head, but knew that wasn't it. Chalk it up to being my first game in a couple of weeks, I guess.

Regarding the question of which name I put down on FJ, I put WHH, because... I dunno. I guess because it's more plausible for someone to think "the job would go nowhere" before Tyler happened than after. But I grasped the TOM and had a fairly high degree of confidence in both names.

If the Max Brand clue is asked about on Saturday (it does seem pretty poll-y) I will be checking the :( box.

Am I wrong to like that big DD3 bet? I wouldn't be as worried about preventing the runaway so much as excited at the chance to have the lead on a strong player going into FJ so I could win on a double get. U.S. LAKES & RIVERS for $800 is in most cases going to be a reasonable clue. From where I sit, it looks like that bet is Casey's best chance at winning.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:53 pm
HUBRIS!

BULLSHIT!

What makes betting for the lead on the last DJ clue any more foolhardy than hunkering down under the assumption that someone who's already won twice, and has earned more than half again as much as you to that point, will miss FJ while you get it right? [edit: and on an $800 clue to boot]
Leander

Post by Leander »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:17 am
HUBRIS!

BULLSHIT!

What makes betting for the lead on the last DJ clue any more foolhardy than hunkering down under the assumption that someone who's already won twice, and has earned more than half again as much as you to that point, will miss FJ while you get it right? [edit: and on an $800 clue to boot]
You could add that Casey was looking at a DD category that he might also feel reasonably confident in, vs. waiting for an unknown FJ category.
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:01 am
Not gonna reply to the rest of the garbage you spew because the only result I could see is that I would feel dumber for lowering myself to it.

There is no place for stuff like that directed at a contestant, or at least I hope this isn't a place for it.
Oh, get off your high horse. I don't agree that Casey's $7k wager on the final Daily Double was necessarily driven entirely by hubris, but nothing that floridagator said in his post crossed any sort of line.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:47 pm The results have been updated.

If Casey had bet low on DD3 he likely would have won as long as he bet sufficiently in the FJ! round.

If Casey had solved DD3 then his narrow lead could have given him 38801 for a 1-day total. Too bad for him although that was not an obscure U.S. lake that cost him.

Casey went for the lead on a 30th clue DD. No crime there even though it did not work out. He had no way of knowing the more conservative route was the right way to go this time.
i loved his wager...which is a rare thing for me to say on this show...way too many people go conservative on a late daily double wager and it ends up costing them....i would rather see a person go for it and not work out than go small and basically pizz their chance away
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:47 pm The results have been updated.

If Casey had bet low on DD3 he likely would have won as long as he bet sufficiently in the FJ! round.

If Casey had solved DD3 then his narrow lead could have given him 38801 for a 1-day total. Too bad for him although that was not an obscure U.S. lake that cost him.

Casey went for the lead on a 30th clue DD. No crime there even though it did not work out. He had no way of knowing the more conservative route was the right way to go this time.
Yeah, Casey was in a bit of a tough spot there; unless he was completely uncomfortable with the category, going for the lead seems to be the smart move (although a relatively easy clue in the same category was a TS). It's a little hard to believe that it missed it, although if he's never been to NO, maybe it's not commonly known. (It was a fairly big part of the Katrina story but that's now been 13 years?). I admit that I'm not exactly sure of the pronunciation of the lake in question (in particular, that first "r") and wonder how lenient they would have been with that.
don't need to have been to new orleans to know that lake...i have been to new orleans 2 times and both time were before i ever learned of that lake...didn't become a trivia geek until well after having been to that city....i guess he never watches ncis new orleans...has been mentioned on the show several times
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:17 am
HUBRIS!

BULLSHIT!

totally agree...i would rather see a contestant go for it rather than playing it safe and hoping to get the final correct and the leader getting it wrong....final jeopardy clues are answered correctly at a high rate, so why put oneself into that spot where they would most likely end up in 2nd place anyway
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:44 am

Oh, get off your high horse. I don't agree that Casey's $7k wager on the final Daily Double was necessarily driven entirely by hubris, but nothing that floridagator said in his post crossed any sort of line.
i agree with that as well
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Wounded Warrior Project*, (Microloans), Carrie Underwood, Dead Reckoning, Architect, Lake Erie, Yellowstone Lake, (Lake Pontchartrain)
Douglas Squasoni
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Yeah, Casey was in a bit of a tough spot there; unless he was completely uncomfortable with the category, going for the lead seems to be the smart move (although a relatively easy clue in the same category was a TS). It's a little hard to believe that it missed it, although if he's never been to NO, maybe it's not commonly known. (It was a fairly big part of the Katrina story but that's now been 13 years?). I admit that I'm not exactly sure of the pronunciation of the lake in question (in particular, that first "r") and wonder how lenient they would have been with that.
I was wondering that myself. I said it without the first r, because that's the way I heard it in the song "Heart of the Night" by Poco.
davey

Post by davey »

thenextofken wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:07 pm

I was wondering that myself. I said it without the first r, because that's the way I heard it in the song "Heart of the Night" by Poco.
I think that's a common way of saying it. If you accent the first syllable and say the word quickly it's pretty normal to elide that r. I can't imagine it would be a problem, any more than if someone elided the first r in governor, for example. It would hardly be noticed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thenextofken wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:07 pm

If you're pronouncing it in French, the 'r' will definitely be heard. If doing it in English, probably not (PONCH-a-train)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

On another topic, I see that a question about Kennedy Lewis and Huxley dying on the same day finally made it on the air.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:44 am

I see the part where he called Casey a "f*****" has been edited out. Jeff is right, except for the part where this apparently is the place for that kind of thing. Disgusting.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Couldn't remember when Daniel Webster was, went with the obvious Lincoln. :(