Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL IRONY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of the 2 Presidents who offered Daniel Webster the VP slot; he declined both, thinking the job went nowhere

Mary Ann Borer: 19400-5000=14400 (3x = $67,800)
Casey Amspacher: 5600+3999=9599
Abby Roughton: 800-790=10

Correct response:
Spoiler
William Henry Harrison or Zachary Taylor (Mary Ann - Lincoln) (Casey - Zachary Taylor) (Abby - A)

Daily Doubles
Casey: 2800-1200
Mary Ann: 16000+3000
Casey: 12600-7000

Coryats
Mary Ann: 17600
Casey: 13800
Abby: 800

Combined: 32,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mary Ann: 8000
Casey: 2600
Abby: 1600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mary Ann went Hunger Games for her introduction with the three-finger kiss salute.

Alex’s opening sounded a little different as he gave the name of the TT winner instead of just mentioning the recently concluded event in general.

The 190 pt. drop in the stock market clue was laughable compared to the higher dip this week.

Abby pluralizing the WWP in GOVT. ABBREV. should have been negged initially without it needing to be reversed later. That kind of category is always begging for something to be botched.

The FJ! cue had me knowing the most likely decade for Daniel Webster. From there it was guess time and I got lucky picking the first right guy. [Wipes brow] Both guys? Very likely a miss.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"Thinking the job went nowhere" = ironically both guys die in office. Big hint I totally missed. Guessed Andy Jackson.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The results have been updated.

If Casey had bet low on DD3 he likely would have won as long as he bet sufficiently in the FJ! round.

If Casey had solved DD3 then his narrow lead could have given him 38801 for a 1-day total. Too bad for him although that was not an obscure U.S. lake that cost him.

Casey went for the lead on a 30th clue DD. No crime there even though it did not work out. He had no way of knowing the more conservative route was the right way to go this time.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:47 pm The results have been updated.

If Casey had bet low on DD3 he likely would have won as long as he bet sufficiently in the FJ! round.

If Casey had solved DD3 then his narrow lead could have given him 38801 for a 1-day total. Too bad for him although that was not an obscure U.S. lake that cost him.

Casey went for the lead on a 30th clue DD. No crime there even though it did not work out. He had no way of knowing the more conservative route was the right way to go this time.
Yeah, Casey was in a bit of a tough spot there; unless he was completely uncomfortable with the category, going for the lead seems to be the smart move (although a relatively easy clue in the same category was a TS). It's a little hard to believe that it missed it, although if he's never been to NO, maybe it's not commonly known. (It was a fairly big part of the Katrina story but that's now been 13 years?). I admit that I'm not exactly sure of the pronunciation of the lake in question (in particular, that first "r") and wonder how lenient they would have been with that.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

In-game thoughts and observations:

I'm curious how they taped this: I assume they did the TT on two consecutive days, so were the rest of this week's episodes done on a short day? He referenced Claire Sattler by name, so this couldn't have been the continuation of the last pre-TT episodes' day (unless the entire TT was taped before the last regular-play episodes). Anyone know?

I think what bothers me most about Bird scooters is the way they appropriate the public sidewalk for private profit. Some cities have permit structures in place that allow them to compensate the public, but in other cities they just set up shop without regard for anything (some such cities are, thankfully, seizing them as the sidewalk debris they are in these cases).

What did General Tso do that was so cowardly? Everyone keeps talking about how he's chicken...

Heh, "Mr. Alex."

Disappointed at the lack of a Steely Dan clue in "Black Friday"

Why is "Deadpool" a character's name? I thought it was when you placed bets on when someone would die.

A bit shocked that Mary Ann didn't know that Arrowsmith was Sinclair Lewis, she's usually incredible on lit categories.

It was obvious to me what the "M" stood for in context, but if I had a huge lead I'd be tempted to say it stood for Mrs. Frisby just for the hell of it.

NANCY I LOVE YOU!

Post-game:

Coryat: $38,000

J: 22/28, got DD, negged on Red Cross (AMA) and Best Friends of Animals (Humane Society).
DJ: 24/30, both DDs correct, WAG on Havana
FJ: Correct (William Henry Harrison, who was also a WAG based on era)

Got at least 3 in every category, and was 5/5 in Black Friday, Saints' Days, and Government Abbreviations. Made some ill-advised guesses in Giving Tuesday, though.

LT: Dead reckoning, Architect, Reinvestment, Lake Erie, Yellowstone Lake

As soon as I saw the clue for DJ DD#2 I thought for sure we were headed to an interesting finish. A bit disappointed it didn't work out, but at the same time Mary Ann knows her shit inside and out and I've been rooting for her to keep her streak going anyway.
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm I'm curious how they taped this: I assume they did the TT on two consecutive days, so were the rest of this week's episodes done on a short day? He referenced Claire Sattler by name, so this couldn't have been the continuation of the last pre-TT episodes' day (unless the entire TT was taped before the last regular-play episodes). Anyone know?
My quick spin on Google turned up the TT taped August 28 & 29. The J! champ from 11/2 taped in August according to an article. That champ shared in that article that the next taping was not until 5 or 6 weeks later. That would put it in September so after the TT was taped.

For the number of games per day I don't know how long they stayed with five. If the normal pattern held then today's game we saw on a Wednesday was game 5 of the taping day. Tomorrow would be the first game on a new taping day while only a day later for Mary Ann.

Andy may have exact taping days in his records.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm I'm curious how they taped this: I assume they did the TT on two consecutive days, so were the rest of this week's episodes done on a short day? He referenced Claire Sattler by name, so this couldn't have been the continuation of the last pre-TT episodes' day (unless the entire TT was taped before the last regular-play episodes). Anyone know?
My quick spin on Google turned up the TT taped August 28 & 29. The J! champ from 11/2 taped in August according to an article. That champ shared in that article that the next taping was not until 5 or 6 weeks later. That would put it in September so after the TT was taped.

For the number of games per day I don't know how long they stayed with five. If the normal pattern held then today's game we saw on a Wednesday was game 5 of the taping day. Tomorrow would be the first game on a new taping day while only a day later for Mary Ann.

Thanks.

Is it possible that this is game 3 of its day? If they kept the usual pattern, then they could have taped Monday + Tuesday of two weeks ago and then gone straight to today, tomorrow, and Friday on the same day in the studio.

I know Alex goes to great lengths to keep up the pretense that these are taped day-by-day, and so I don't necessarily take him all that seriously when he says things like "Mary Ann can rest for a bit, we have the Teen Tournament the next two weeks," but at the same time if they were going straight into taping today's episode I have to wonder what was going through her head when he said that.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I was able to get both President's, since both Harrison and Taylor died very early into their presidential terms.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

The Teen Tournament was taped August 28 & 29.

October 29- November 2 was taped on August 22nd.

After the Teen Tournament, the show had to strike the podiums in order to set up the risers for the All Star Game draft and then re-set the podiums for the next taping, which did not take place until October 9. November 5-6 & November 21-23 were taped on October 9.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 pm

The Teen Tournament was taped August 28 & 29.

October 29- November 2 was taped on August 22nd.

After the Teen Tournament, the show had to strike the podiums in order to set up the risers for the All Star Game draft and then re-set the podiums for the next taping, which did not take place until October 9. November 5-6 & November 21-23 were taped on October 9.
Thank you for the accurate information. Clearly, I should have used my fingers and a calendar before I posted about the pre- and post- TT days.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:22 pm Thank you for the accurate information. Clearly, I should have used my fingers and a calendar before I posted about the pre- and post- TT days.
The most disappointing part for me about my trip to LA was that she show was not taping for entirety of the three weeks that I was there.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO the stringbean banjo guy. I know country but I'm not as good at bluegrass (even though I can play mandolin).

$1,000 was my only get in Black Friday.

I precalled the overturn on "Wounded Warriors Project", but I was surprised that they did it so quickly instead of waiting for the DD like they usually do.

That pet organization was my only NHOI in its category.

I've heard the term "dead reckoning" but didn't know what it meant.

Female + American Idol, Kelly Clarkson is already ruled out, and you don't even guess on Underwood?

For some reason I keep forgetting that Daniel Webster was a real person. I had no idea what to even WAG on this. What even was the TOM here?

Lach Trash: Carrie Underwood, Lake Erie
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I pronounced the second dd without the r, based, soley on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqRi_hC2qWI

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's FJ! clue had me curious if all of the U.S. Presidents had been part of a correct response in the FJ! round whether solo or part of a group.

Donald Trump has no hits for the distinction. The other one has been mentioned in the wording in one FJ! clue though never for a correct response.
Spoiler
Benjamin Harrison
While checking on the research I was reminded of this FJ! clue that would be problematic today with its 1997 wording.

#2966, aired 1997-06-23 U.S. PRESIDENTS: The Roosevelt dime made its debut the year this president was born

The guys:
Spoiler
Bill Clinton back then and since then George W. Bush and Donald Trump
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I was way off on this FJ. I thought "thinking the job went nowhere" would have referred to the VP position's early days, so I guessed one of the earliest presidents. I'm gonna be 0/5 this week. I can feel it.

Congrats to Mary Ann on another good win though.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 pm Today's FJ! clue had me curious if all of the U.S. Presidents had been part of a correct response in the FJ! round whether solo or part of a group.

Donald Trump has no hits for the distinction. The other one has been mentioned in the wording in one FJ! clue though never for a correct response.
Spoiler
Benjamin Harrison
Huh?

#2707, aired 1996-05-14 U.S. PRESIDENTS: He was the only president preceded & succeeded by the same man

Taylor and Hayes are the only former presidents not to be the sole correct response to a Final Jeopardy clue (of all the FJs that are known).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:25 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 pm Today's FJ! clue had me curious if all of the U.S. Presidents had been part of a correct response in the FJ! round whether solo or part of a group.

Spoiler
Benjamin Harrison
Huh?

#2707, aired 1996-05-14 U.S. PRESIDENTS: He was the only president preceded & succeeded by the same man

Taylor and Hayes are the only former presidents not to be the sole correct response to a Final Jeopardy clue (of all the FJs that are known).
Thanks for that one. I was only using the Archive and not the infinite, so it did not turn up in my search since that game is not in. Lesson learned.