Thursday, November 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1980s MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Ebert: This film “works as science fiction, it’s sometimes as scary as a monster movie & at the end…not a dry eye in the house”

Mary Ann Borer: 18200+500=18700 (4x = $86,500)
Terrie Vasilopoulos: 8600-400=8200
David Trachtenberg: 2000-2000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
E.T. ("the Extra-Terrestrial" in not necessary for a correct response.) (Terrie – Alien) (David – 2001 A Space Odyssey)

Daily Doubles
Terrie: 1000+1000
Terrie: 6000-2600
Mary Ann: 13000+4000

Coryats
Mary Ann: 15400
Terrie: 10800
David: 2000

Combined: 28,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mary Ann: 8200
Terrie: 4400
David: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mary Ann's opening was the Vulcan salute and Alex commented, "...she has more hand signs than I can count."

David was in the red more than halfway through the DJ! round and I thought Mary Ann had a chance for a third notch of an opponent not making it to the FJ! round.

For the FJ! round I joined Mary Ann with the 2-letter shortcut for my response. It would be silly to do the whole thing and take a chance on messing up the long word.

Terrie and David covered the '70s & '60s with their responses in failing to match the category.

Mary Ann did not pass Alex Schmidt on the tracker (4x $92,880) leaving 9 players ahead of her.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I bit on the "Murder" negbait on Christie for $200. I was floored when that was wrong.

NHO "unfried side" in reference to KFC. I was 0/5 in that category.

Sweden had me thinking the 2009 Peace Prize winner was Swedish. I still could've taken about 100 guesses and not gotten to Barack.

Halsey was my only miss/NHOI in Billboard.

Yes, I ran the Hawaii category. Also ran the TV category in DJ!

"Sociology" is a word that always falls out of my head when I need it.

Science fiction, 1980s... uh... scary = Alien maybe? No, that was in 1979, try again... um... Terminator? No, that doesn't seem right, I can't imagine a "dry eye" on that one. Back to the Future doesn't fit because I can't think of any moment when that was scary... uh... E.T. didn't have anything scary to my knowledge either... yeah, I got nothin'.

...Wait, what part of E.T. fits the "scary" part of this clue?

Lach Trash: gnomes
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Like TPH, I didn't remember anything scary in E.T. . Unlike TPH, I stuck with it as I had nothing better.
davey

Post by davey »

I just rewatched the last scene of Alien...Ripley survives, and I teared up a little bit...! ;) But it's 1979...
Seriously, Alien was my first thought, but I revised in enough time to write the full correct title.
I'd say the scary part of the picture - for Ebert and the kid in all of us! - is when the government comes after E.T.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

As a kid of the 80s FJ! was an instaget. I never found it scary in the monster movie sense (as in, ET himself wasn't scary), but the parts where government step in were very upsetting to me when I was young.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

The champ is doing great. I am a merry fan of Mary Ann.

Yesterday I predicted I'd be 0/5 on FJs this week. Well at least now I'll be 1/5. "Alien" came to mind at first but I couldn't make that emotional connection at the end, and "sometimes scary as a monster movie" also pulled me away from it. I then settled on the right answer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What an awful FJ! And I say that as someone who made the correct guess, so I'm not just being bitter. The only thing you can do is brainstorm every 80s movie you know and sort through the ones that are science fiction or, maybe, just could work as science fiction. Another obvious possibility would be Coccoon. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan works ok as well. After that, what do you consider? RoboCop? The Last Starfighter? Back to the Future? Gremlins? The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension? Predator? Blade Runner? Terminator? Dune? Poltergeist? Howard the Duck? Flight of the Navigator? Batteries Not Included? Return of the Jedi? The Empire Strikes Back? That's just off the top of my head. There's a lot to process.

As to E.T. being scary, remember that back then they still knew how to build tension by NOT showing you the monster. Before E.T. appears on camera, you don't know what's out there or who might get their face ripped off. That's what makes the reversal so effective when we finally meet him.

Any bets on what hand sign Mary Ann makes tomorrow? How many does she have prepared?
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I've never seen E.T. but this was still an instaget for me. I once read that Princess Diana cried at the end of that movie and that "dry eye" part of the clue brought it to mind.
JayK33 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:46 pm The champ is doing great. I am a merry fan of Mary Ann.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Well played. :lol:
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Cocoon was my first thought, went thru various scifi movies, got to E.T. in time.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

none of the wrong answers were even 1980s movies...the elephant man was the first thing that came to mind and then i came up with e.t. and went with that as it made more sense in regards to science fiction
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

My recording of J! turned out to be the last half-hour of the NBC parade replay. reddit (and Mary Ann) FTW!

For whatever reason (probably being 57 and remembering what a big deal it was), E.T. came to me quickly.

Very slight spoiler involving game play from earlier this week:
Spoiler
I'm probably the boardie most likely to notice that "gnome" came up as a correct response twice this week. I doubt it would have happened but for the placement of the Teen Tournament; nevertheless, I was amused.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

They listed the guy on the end as David Trachtenberg, but I'm pretty sure it was Jon Hamm in disguise.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:30 pm Like TPH, I didn't remember anything scary in E.T. . Unlike TPH, I stuck with it as I had nothing better.
For the same reason I first went to Ghostbusters, which at least had some scary-ish characters. Then I thought about the "dry eye" part of the clue and settled on ET which did not include anything scary. Questionable review of the movie made for a questionable clue. But I'll take it.

Meanwhile Mary Ann looks more and more like a juggernaut, and sure as heck seems to be having a good time cleaning up. Live long and prosper.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:57 am For the same reason I first went to Ghostbusters, which at least had some scary-ish characters. Then I thought about the "dry eye" part of the clue and settled on ET which did not include anything scary. Questionable review of the movie made for a questionable clue. But I'll take it.
Yeah, for Ghostbusters it's more like not a dry seat.

I really think people who say E.T. had nothing scary just aren't remembering it. Or maybe it's different if you only saw it on a small screen. On a huge screen, with Dolby surround sound, several parts near the beginning are scary. The ship landing and departing. The faceless men stomping through the woods. Elliot going toward the shed to investigate the noise. You just don't know what might jump out of the shadows. Unless you've been spoiled. Then maybe you miss the whole point of those early scenes.

And as pointed out above (by a poster whose name I'm too lazy to look up and cite), the scenes with the government officials are pretty scary--though maybe not in a monster movie way. That's especially true in the original before the guns were replaced by walkie-talkies. Sheesh. I remember the way the American flag became a threatening, menacing symbol. You couldn't get away with that today, not without an Internet firestorm anyway. Maybe Spielberg should edit those scenes too. :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:09 am
John Boy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:57 am For the same reason I first went to Ghostbusters, which at least had some scary-ish characters. Then I thought about the "dry eye" part of the clue and settled on ET which did not include anything scary. Questionable review of the movie made for a questionable clue. But I'll take it.
Yeah, for Ghostbusters it's more like not a dry seat.

I really think people who say E.T. had nothing scary just aren't remembering it. Or maybe it's different if you only saw it on a small screen. On a huge screen, with Dolby surround sound, several parts near the beginning are scary. The ship landing and departing. The faceless men stomping through the woods. Elliot going toward the shed to investigate the noise. You just don't know what might jump out of the shadows. Unless you've been spoiled. Then maybe you miss the whole point of those early scenes.

And as pointed out above (by a poster whose name I'm too lazy to look up and cite), the scenes with the government officials are pretty scary--though maybe not in a monster movie way. That's especially true in the original before the guns were replaced by walkie-talkies. Sheesh. I remember the way the American flag became a threatening, menacing symbol. You couldn't get away with that today, not without an Internet firestorm anyway. Maybe Spielberg should edit those scenes too. :roll:
I'm sure you're right about the early scenes - though it's kind of hard to imagine anybody who wasn't "spoiled" about what the movie was about before they saw it.
"E.T." is certainly not the first movie in which the "monster" was sympathetic, and we feel its fear when it is pursued. That's exactly a monster-movie trope.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Body, William Kidd, (China), Belgrade, Assyria, Class Struggle, Gnomes, Iran

Untuck It, Gucci Gang, Whistle in the Dark, and Coping were my only misses today.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

btw, here's the essay from which the clue is lifted. I almost wish they'd used the sentence that comes before...
...a cross between The Thing and National Velvet... :lol:

https://books.google.com/books?id=v43dJ ... 22&f=false