Page 2 of 2

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 am
by alietr
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 pm
:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ended up 2 for 5 in a week where I could have gotten them all.
You might want to re-check your green guys then.

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:10 am
by opusthepenguin
alietr wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 pm
:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ended up 2 for 5 in a week where I could have gotten them all.
You might want to re-check your green guys then.
Whoops. Good catch.

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am
by Elijah Baley
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm
by davey
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...
All I knew is that there are cherry trees in Washington, D.C., and a Cherry Blossom Festival. I've known that since I was a kid. It was enough. I'm glad I didn't know that the cherry trees don't bear fruit...
I think the idea it had anything to do with fake news involving G. Washington is a little screwy, but whatever works...

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 pm
by Volante
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:54 pm
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I'm not sure I'd have gotten Emerson right without having Thoreau as the correct FJ response in the previous game, but I got him and that's what counts.
I'm not wringing my hands over missing Destry.
Seconded on all counts. Even the score. :lol:

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 pm
by Elijah Baley
davey wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...
All I knew is that there are cherry trees in Washington, D.C., and a Cherry Blossom Festival. I've known that since I was a kid. It was enough. I'm glad I didn't know that the cherry trees don't bear fruit...
I think the idea it had anything to do with fake news involving G. Washington is a little screwy, but whatever works...
I admit that cherry trees didn't occur to me but even if they had, I would have wondered about how that could be the official fruit when there's really no fruit. It was the basis for a good guess, but I just think that a FJ question needs to be a little more concrete. So, we ended up with 9 ridiculously easy FJ clues and 1 questionable one. I guess I'm just saying the writers should try a little harder, particularly for a tournament with a $100,000 winner.

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 pm
by MarkBarrett
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 pm
davey wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...
All I knew is that there are cherry trees in Washington, D.C., and a Cherry Blossom Festival. I've known that since I was a kid. It was enough. I'm glad I didn't know that the cherry trees don't bear fruit...
I think the idea it had anything to do with fake news involving G. Washington is a little screwy, but whatever works...
I admit that cherry trees didn't occur to me but even if they had, I would have wondered about how that could be the official fruit when there's really no fruit. It was the basis for a good guess, but I just think that a FJ question needs to be a little more concrete. So, we ended up with 9 ridiculously easy FJ clues and 1 questionable one. I guess I'm just saying the writers should try a little harder, particularly for a tournament with a $100,000 winner.
DEH went 44% in the poll and 33% were not even familiar with the title, so those on the wrong side of it may disagree with "ridiculously easy."

The cherry clue for F2 could have been something better. No argument on that one.

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 pm
by AFRET CMS
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Had Montreal, missed Munich -- got sucked into Melbourne.
Knew "Destry" from the Jimmy Stewart/Marlena Dietrich movie.

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 pm
by Elijah Baley
MarkBarrett wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 pm
davey wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Elijah Baley wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I'm still not really sure how they expected the kids to know about DC and cherries since it's only been the "official fruit" since 2006 and as several others pointed out, there isn't any real fruit associated with the cherry trees donated by Japan. In past years, when the tournament was in DC, I could see where they probably gave them tours of the city and might have included facts (like the identity of the official fruit) that got incorporated into the game. Alex would say, "no harm, no foul" since they all missed it but still ...
All I knew is that there are cherry trees in Washington, D.C., and a Cherry Blossom Festival. I've known that since I was a kid. It was enough. I'm glad I didn't know that the cherry trees don't bear fruit...
I think the idea it had anything to do with fake news involving G. Washington is a little screwy, but whatever works...
I admit that cherry trees didn't occur to me but even if they had, I would have wondered about how that could be the official fruit when there's really no fruit. It was the basis for a good guess, but I just think that a FJ question needs to be a little more concrete. So, we ended up with 9 ridiculously easy FJ clues and 1 questionable one. I guess I'm just saying the writers should try a little harder, particularly for a tournament with a $100,000 winner.
DEH went 44% in the poll and 33% were not even familiar with the title, so those on the wrong side of it may disagree with "ridiculously easy."

The cherry clue for F2 could have been something better. No argument on that one.
I forgot about DEH, although two of the contestants got it, so it suggests that teens might have been more familiar with the material than their elders. And, honey badger was a little iffy, given the timing of the video that was probably the basis for the clue.

That's still 7 very easy clues (Darwin, Lord of the Flies, etc.).

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:01 pm
by heppm01
4.5/5 on FJ this week (had Munich, couldn't come up with Montreal). First time I've been this close to a perfect week in a long time.

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:25 pm
by ElendilPickle
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 am
by Wpwells
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Knew both but officially put Harrison
Both Emerson and Thoreau

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:39 pm
by John Boy
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

I'm pleased to have a 5-for-5 week. Unfortunately I thought Valentine and Proteus were the two guys in "Dumb and Dumber." :roll:

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 pm
by Carpe Diem
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :?:*
*spoiled

34535343543

Re: FJs for the 11/19/18 week

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 pm
by Linear Gnome
:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Apple on Tuesday, Garfield on Wednesday. Got Emerson and Thoreau, respectively.

314235325(2/2,3/3TT)33(1/2TT,2/3), 34-21