Friday, January 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by lisa0012 »

jpahk wrote:nobody else has yet mentioned my wrong FJ, which was tom jones. it has the virtue of being an 18th-century english novel, and tom jones is a foundling, so it seemed plausible that his last name might get changed... but i really, really, didn't like my answer because i was fairly sure the right answer was going to bear a phonetic similarity to kreutznaer. but i never got as far as crusoe. rats.
I tried the same thought process, actually, but it took me to the orphan Oliver Twist, which unfortunately was not in the 18th century (which I though, but once it got stuck in my head, I couldn't get it out).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:You forgot Australia, the only country that takes up an entire continent (you don't think being a member of the British Commonwealth disqualifies it from being an independent country, do you?).
Well, he did mention Oceania, which is the sctual name of the continent. Or are you saying that New Zealand and all of those other outlying countries are not independent countries at all, but are part of the coutry of Australia?
Sage on the Hudson wrote:Clever how? Well, there's one more contextual clue provided, though unwritten in the actual clue displayed onscreen. Let's see if you can figure it out (answer provided below in the spoiler):
Spoiler
This particular Final Jeopardy clue was run on a Friday, which, I suspect, wasn't mere coincidence...
Highly doubtfui it was anything but coincidence, what with S&P and all.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:One can also disable the equally alliterative freeze frame -- and why would Polanski's demanding that that be deactivated be any less likely than fast-forward?
Because he's a director. He has no problem if you're stopping shots by the best film director there ever was ever in all time history the likes of which filmdom will never ever see again ever so you can admire them and bask in their total all-encompassing awesomeness... but to FF past his brilliance is a capital crime.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:Because he's a director. He has no problem if you're stopping shots by the best film director there ever was ever in all time history the likes of which filmdom will never ever see again ever so you can admire them and bask in their total all-encompassing awesomeness... but to FF past his brilliance is a capital crime.
Ok, now children. Can you say 'hyperbole'? That's right. Hyperbole.[/Mister Rogers]

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Actually, S. America is the easiest to identify a country from, because it's the continent (save Antarctica, of course) that has the fewest number of independent countries in it (12, compare with 54 in Africa, 49 in Asia, 50 in Europe, 23 in North America, and 14 in Oceania*)

You forgot Australia, the only country that takes up an entire continent (you don't think being a member of the British Commonwealth disqualifies it from being an independent country, do you?).
As Brian pointed out, I did mean the continent of Australia and the Pacific islands being called Oceania - I even had a note in my post saying that but edited it out thinking that "Oceania" was self-explanitory. I guess not. (Besides, "Europe" included Ireland, "North America" included Cuba, "Africa" incluced Cape Verde, and "Asia" included Singapore, despite none of these countries being on their continent. Why shouldn't "Oceania" (or even "Australia" when referring to the continent) not include Fiji, Kiribati, New Zealand, etc.?)

And welcome back, ex-TRD. Place hasn't been the same without you.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

A bunch of little islands do not a continent make.
davey

Post by davey »

Paucle wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:One can also disable the equally alliterative freeze frame -- and why would Polanski's demanding that that be deactivated be any less likely than fast-forward?
Because he's a director. He has no problem if you're stopping shots by the best film director there ever was ever in all time history the likes of which filmdom will never ever see again ever so you can admire them and bask in their total all-encompassing awesomeness... but to FF past his brilliance is a capital crime.

I will say, more seriously, that I hope they had a copy of the DVD on hand to check for such a thing, in the event of such a response. According to a review on its Amazon page, the Criterion disk does allow freeze frame, but not fast forward or reverse - you can only move through the disk by chapter breaks (so since it is in chapters, presumably there's a scene selection feature).
Last edited by davey on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:A bunch of little islands do not a continent make.
True, but countries of the world are usually lumped in to belonging to one of the (arbitrarily defined, in most cases) seven continents of the world. Island countries are traditionally associated with the nearest continent in terms of culture, geography and/or politics. One can't say that Grenada is in North America, but Tonga isn't in any continent.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
True, but countries of the world are usually lumped in to belonging to one of the (arbitrarily defined, in most cases) seven continents of the world. Island countries are traditionally associated with the nearest continent in terms of culture, geography and/or politics. One can't say that Grenada is in North America, but Tonga isn't in any continent.
I always thought it was due to the continental shelf idea. That, if you took away all the water, the continents would still be defined. I'm almost always wrong on these things though.

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:Clever how? Well, there's one more contextual clue provided, though unwritten in the actual clue displayed onscreen. Let's see if you can figure it out (answer provided below in the spoiler):
Spoiler
This particular Final Jeopardy clue was run on a Friday, which, I suspect, wasn't mere coincidence...
Highly doubtfui it was anything but coincidence, what with S&P and all.

Brian
But aren't there times where, for example, they might have a category about Friday the 13th air on Friday the 13th, or a category about Valentine's Day or Arbor Day air on those particular days. I believe the recent Muhammad Ali category was claimed by Alex to be airing on his birthday, so it would appear that they are allowed to have a particular category pre-selected to air on a specific date. Would there be some reason that they could do this with a regular category, but not with Final Jeopardy?
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

russhowes wrote:Hey board. Longtime follower, first time poster.
Welcome, Russell! Thanks for delurking and sharing your game experiences/insights!
russhowes wrote: Part of the pausing was nerves but part of the pausing and category-shifting was to try and slow down the momentum...
FWIW, I didn't think your game playing was bothersome. You chose a strategy that you thought would be to your benefit; I, as a viewer, have no problem with that.
(OTOH, I, as a swimmer, do have to move the cursor all over my scoresheet in order to record gameplay, but I feel this is a self-imposed burden and I wouldn't criticize a player for their preference for trying to win vs. trying to make my job easier ;) )
russhowes wrote: I'm actually pretty surprised nobody here has called me out for my conservative wager on the last Daily Double...
Well, don't look to me for criticism on that front. Personally, I would have bet more and then would have lost it all :evil:

And as long as we're on the subject... from your reaction when Alex was reading the clue, it looked like you knew that fast forward was the answer right away. I'm curious as to how you knew this particular fact - Own the DVD yourself and always frustrated by the slow pace of the movie with no recourse? Big Roman Polanski fanboy? It-was-in-all-the-papers-how-could-anyone-have-missed-it fact?

Anyway, congrats for making it on the show and for playing well - sorry things didn't work out for you in FJ!

~ Julie
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Why not?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew the player in the middle was doomed when he said his run was not to support a charity.

I said Rip Van Winkle for FJ.

Add me to those confused about how to do the Roman numeral category. I didn't know how to pronounce xi, either. But yes, that is a category where you bet it all and take money out of your wallet and throw it on the podium if you hit a DD.

I missed the category and said Michigan for the great lake.

So I read a Roman Polanski discussion the day Joe Paterno dies. Coincidence?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

russhowes wrote:On the alliterative category, on the first clue I spelled out 'x-i' instead of pronouncing the word merely because I wasn't sure how to pronounce xi.
Bamaman wrote:I didn't know how to pronounce xi, either.
I'm pretty sure it is a homophone of "shy" ...

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The best I could do was pronounce it "Zi". When playing at home, I did say it that way but quickly spelled it out to placate the imaginary judges in my den.

Yes, I question the clues out loud at home. Is that a problem?
Sage on the Hudson

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

dhkendall wrote:As Brian pointed out, I did mean the continent of Australia and the Pacific islands being called Oceania - I even had a note in my post saying that but edited it out thinking that "Oceania" was self-explanitory. I guess not. (Besides, "Europe" included Ireland, "North America" included Cuba, "Africa" incluced Cape Verde, and "Asia" included Singapore, despite none of these countries being on their continent. Why shouldn't "Oceania" (or even "Australia" when referring to the continent) not include Fiji, Kiribati, New Zealand, etc.?)

And welcome back, ex-TRD. Place hasn't been the same without you.
Well, Cuba's ninety miles from the U.S. mainland, and the British Isles begin only 22 miles from continental Europe, but New Zealand is nearly a thousand miles from Australia, making it a part of greater Oceania politically, but physically...?

davey wrote:
Paucle wrote:

I will say, more seriously, that I hope they had a copy of the DVD on hand to check for such a thing, in the event of such a response. According to a review on its Amazon page, the Criterion disk does allow freeze frame, but not fast forward or reverse - you can only move through the disk by chapter breaks (so since it is in chapters, presumably there's a scene selection feature).
If this sort of director-centric dictatorship is allowed to go unchecked, Blu-rays of the STAR WARS films will be designed to self-destruct any time a purchaser grouses within earshot of the player about George Lucas's endless re-working of the original trilogy.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote: And welcome back, ex-TRD. Place hasn't been the same without you.
Once a TRD, always a TRD.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:The best I could do was pronounce it "Zi". When playing at home, I did say it that way but quickly spelled it out to placate the imaginary judges in my den.

That's the difference between us and normal people. My kids have imaginary monsters under the bed and imaginary friends in the school yard. We have imaginary Jeopardy! judges in our dens. :mrgreen:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The best I could do was pronounce it "Zi". When playing at home, I did say it that way but quickly spelled it out to placate the imaginary judges in my den.

That's the difference between us and normal people. My kids have imaginary monsters under the bed and imaginary friends in the school yard. We have imaginary Jeopardy! judges in our dens. :mrgreen:
...I'll take the monsters
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Now that I've finally seen this game...yikes at the wagering. Can't fault Russell's standard cover bet (especially since the category wasn't too imposing), but Bob got lucky, and as has been noted, Lynn's makes absolutely no sense. I like round numbers too (a habit I picked up from KJ's run), but there are some times when, y'know, trying to win comes first.

Ran the Airborne category. Interestingly enough, I've seen 4/5 of them, excepting "Up In The Air"..."Air Force One" and "ConAir" in edited form, though. I saw "Cast Away" in theaters, and I remember liking it, but finding it WAY too long.

That "UR" DD was pretty darn easy. That's the kind of category where making a gutsy bet can definitely pay off. (ETA: Lynn, of course, did not make a very gusty bet. Sigh.)

Russell, I dug your playing style, and interesting to know it was a conscious strategy. Your banter with Alex was very entertaining, too. Good to see you stop by. Hope you stick around. :)

FJ! was a WAG (I played it off Mark's poll thread) if there ever was one...I'm surprised as anyone that it ended up working out.