Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:26 am

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:26 am

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:28 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL FIRSTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a tribute with no precedent, the band played this at the Buckingham Palace Changing of the Guard on Sept. 13, 2001

Dylan Hamilton: minus 800
Andrew Miller: 15200+3000=18200
Adriana Ciccone: 20800+9601=30401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
”The Star-Spangled Banner” (U.S. national anthem is acceptable)
Adriana’s response in case it comes up for discussion:
SpoilerShow
Image

Daily Doubles
Adriana: 5400+3000
Adriana: 10000+3000
Adriana: 14600+3000

Coryats
Dylan: minus 800
Andrew: 15200
Adriana: 15400

Combined: 29,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dylan: 800
Andrew: 2000
Adriana: 9200
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8571
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am

Nice run by Andrew of THAT’S TOUGH TO “UN”-DO for +6000 to get in the match.

Adriana was 4/4 on the big clues to earn a nice 1-day total. The DDs were begging for 3/3 and Adriana found all of them for +$9000.

The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm

I was sorry to see Dylan go - a nice, even-keeled dapper dresser who just didn't have it working today. He looked like he was having fun right up until the bitter end, and not that it matters, but I'm not sure how he managed to miss that last clue! :shock:

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by StevenH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:48 pm

JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
+1

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1513
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Leander » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:31 pm

StevenH wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:48 pm
JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
+1
+2

User avatar
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Saturnalia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:20 pm

God Bless America, here. I'm hesitant to complain just because I missed it, but... I think this is a poor clue.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:20 pm
God Bless America, here. I'm hesitant to complain just because I missed it, but... I think this is a poor clue.
It's not a great clue because there are a couple options. But, I think the only other way they could have written it would be "In a tribute without precedent, this country's national anthem was played at Buckingham Palace on Sept. 13, 2001." That would have made it a little too easy, though - more like a Kid's Week clue.

That said, the national anthem does seem like the more logical choice among the other possibilities - immediately recognizable to anyone hearing it, wherever they're from.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:20 pm
God Bless America, here. I'm hesitant to complain just because I missed it, but... I think this is a poor clue.
My coin also landed on God Bless America.

I shouted the "ronin" answer a little too gleefully. (In LL, I am one.)

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7046
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Poll request for "lunge"? I thought that was obscure for $200. I ended up bombing the category. Can't say I've heard of "flume" or "ronin" before.

However I ran On the Move.

Also NHO Chappaquiddick. That's definitely a Hawley-smoot name.

Can't say I've heard of Remember the Titans either. I wonder if they edited out some TSes, because they just seemed to stop only a few seconds after the LTaM.

Also NHO "unring a bell".

"lawyers" was huge neg-bait on that clue. Even the "mm, no" had me baffled as to what might be close.

Lach Trash: Scotchgard, thermometer, Pro Tools, Marvin Gaye

This clue just seemed way too wide open to even guess on.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:56 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm
Poll request for "lunge"? I thought that was obscure for $200.
Lunge was pretty straightforward, surprised by the stand and stare, but hey, we had that bizarre triple miss on (whitewater) rafting, with a repeat neg on rapids by the Chinese movie extra

Anyone else notice Alex running out of breath before he gets to the end of some clues?

Glad we cleared up that the champ (most impressive) is not related to Madonna

No love for Denzel tonight

+1 SSB

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6066
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm
I wonder if they edited out some TSes, because they just seemed to stop only a few seconds after the LTaM.
There was only one clue after LTAM.

Given the date, I figured it had to be the Star Spangled Banner. I wasn't too tempted by God Bless America, fortunately, though it did occur to me.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7046
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm
I wonder if they edited out some TSes, because they just seemed to stop only a few seconds after the LTaM.
There was only one clue after LTAM.
Yeah, that seems really abrupt. Was anyone present at taping? Usually that kind of thing only happens when the last couple clues on the board are stand-and-stare TSes.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6178
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 pm

My thinking was, either it's the Star-Spangled Banner or this is a terrible clue. Do we have any reason to believe that Brits even KNEW "God Bless America" back in 2001? (I'm not even sure they know it NOW, though it's become much more famous in the last 18 years.) That's very much a song for this side of the pond. Think about it like this. If the disaster had happened in the UK, what song would WE have played? "Rule, Brittania"? "There'll Always Be an England"? Gimme a break. There is exactly one plausible response. Similarly, the correct response to this FJ is the only one that makes any sense. That response would've been ludicrously negbait-y if they'd been going for something else.

If you flipped a coin, it should've said "Star-Spangled Banner" on one side and "United States National Anthem" on the other.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm

JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
why not "my country tis o thee"? the melody is the same as "god save the queen"

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 pm
My thinking was, either it's the Star-Spangled Banner or this is a terrible clue. Do we have any reason to believe that Brits even KNEW "God Bless America" back in 2001? (I'm not even sure they know it NOW, though it's become much more famous in the last 18 years.) That's very much a song for this side of the pond. Think about it like this. If the disaster had happened in the UK, what song would WE have played? "Rule, Brittania"? "There'll Always Be an England"? Gimme a break. There is exactly one plausible response. Similarly, the correct response to this FJ is the only one that makes any sense. That response would've been ludicrously negbait-y if they'd been going for something else.

If you flipped a coin, it should've said "Star-Spangled Banner" on one side and "United States National Anthem" on the other.
I agree. I figured it had to be an official, ceremonial song, and the only other one is Hail to the Chief, which didn't seem right... :roll:

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm
JayK33 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 am
The FJ! clue had my coin fall on the wrong side as the ghost of Kate Smith must have been influenced the toss. At least it is one of those misses when I know I will have company before the day is done.
God Bless America?

For me, the two that came to mind were Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. Thankfully, I picked the right one.
why not "my country tis o thee"? the melody is the same as "god save the queen"
How would anybody know...?

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 pm

opusthepenguin wrote: My thinking was, either it's the Star-Spangled Banner or this is a terrible clue. Do we have any reason to believe that Brits even KNEW "God Bless America" back in 2001? (I'm not even sure they know it NOW, though it's become much more famous in the last 18 years.) That's very much a song for this side of the pond. Think about it like this. If the disaster had happened in the UK, what song would WE have played? "Rule, Brittania"? "There'll Always Be an England"? Gimme a break. There is exactly one plausible response. Similarly, the correct response to this FJ is the only one that makes any sense. That response would've been ludicrously negbait-y if they'd been going for something else.
I disagree.
Unless one specifically recalled the described event, I see no reason why it couldn't have been God Bless America. The sentiment certainly fits a whole lot better than S-S-B.

Post Reply