Thursday, November 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CATHOLICISM

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A liturgical year begins on the first Sunday of Advent, which is the Sunday closest to the feast day of this “first apostle”

Adriana Ciccone: 12200-7000=5200 (2x = $35,601)
Chris Williams: 11200-11198=2
Phil Tompkins: 14000-10401=3599

Correct response:
Spoiler
St. Andrew (Adriana – Peter) (Chris – Paul) (Phil – Peter)

Daily Doubles
Adriana: 5200+2500
Adriana: 8700+3500
Chris: 3400+3400

Coryats
Adriana: 8000
Chris: 9400
Phil: 14000

Combined: 31,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Adriana: 83000
Chris: 3000
Phil: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3 J! players don’t know the years for a sesquicentennial? It’s always strange what can get by the players. The 1981 adventure movie character with a route drawn? Crickets. Of course they can name the recent Avengers bad guy with no problem. The Hoboken stumper was more a dreaded brain fail by Phil as he knew the guy he wanted.

Fine by Adriana that clue 30 in the DJ! was not seen as it may have kept her in second place. If it plays then perhaps she has the lead for a TS FJ! round.

I kept the clue imperfect as once again my coin fell wrong. If the right guy and his feast day comes up in the Protestant church I attend it rang no bells. Instead I was left recalling the first two apostles called. Alphabetical order vs. who gets mentioned more was my debate.

At least the get on Monday insures me of having at least one right this week. Grrr!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There could be other variations while I did find two clues in the Archive relevant to today's FJ! clue:
Spoiler

#7143, aired 2015-10-07 FALL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $1000: On November 30 the people of Scotland celebrate the feast day of this patron saint
#4468, aired 2004-01-28 11/30 $2000: His feast day is November 30, & his cross is seen here on a flag
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm sure I am aware that there is an apostle called Andrew, but the chance of me getting him were exactly zero.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

What the hell with that FJ category? No offense to Catholic viewers but that seems a little too specific for FJ. Keep it to general questions of any religion and it's fair game.

I was trying to decide between John and Peter here, and I don't know if I would have ever even come up with Andrew - even after having been to St. Andrews, Scotland recently. :oops:

And honestly, Chris's wager just made me sad. It didn't seem to faze him, however, so all's well.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 pm What the hell with that FJ category? No offense to Catholic viewers but that seems a little too specific for FJ.
I'll be checking off today's Final Jeopardy as correct and I've only set foot in churches for weddings and funerals.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 am I kept the clue imperfect as once again my coin fell wrong. If the right guy and his feast day comes up in the Protestant church I attend it rang no bells. Instead I was left recalling the first two apostles called. Alphabetical order vs. who gets mentioned more was my debate.
From my brief Wikiing, Simon (Peter) is the first listed, Andrew is second (and first alphabetically) so I don't feel bad about my Peter guess.

Broke a 16 game FJ streak (...the Teen Tourney had some doozies; I'm not even second guessing my counting them this year) but as I've said before on FJs I get with minimal TOMs that others don't: sometimes you just have to know it. Only fair I take the same medicine.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Wow...I could only guess that this was another too-easy FJ pointing to the first Pope...but not so, it turned out to be a dive into Catholic tradition, since it seems it's not even clear in the Bible that Andrew was the first recruited. In 2 of the gospels, Andrew and his brother (Simon) Peter are recruited together (the "fishers of men")...Only John says that Andrew came before Peter...Seems pretty tough to me...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It was an easy Final Jeopardy since Andrew brought his brother Simon Peter into the fold.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I don't know much about this topic, and I said Matthew.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:43 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 pm What the hell with that FJ category? No offense to Catholic viewers but that seems a little too specific for FJ.
I'll be checking off today's Final Jeopardy as correct and I've only set foot in churches for weddings and funerals.
Should we be surprised Andrew was familiar to Andy?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Don't know my apostles from my epistles, but was pretty sure Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John all wrote their tomes after the life of Christ. I can mentally fill in "the feast of St. _____" with a lot of names, but Andrews would be the second tier of guessing, and not from Biblical knowledge, just golf.

Yes, we had to pull for Phil, even at Adriana's expense. She wasn't nearly as strong today, which wound up saving her in the end.

0 for 4, put up an Opera category tomorrow and get it over with for my box of shame after two teases with the Box of Glory the last two weeks.

Alex was on for this match - the grimace for Adriana's story and counting the quartet. The Rutherford Hayes category was funny for the first clue, then just embarrassing.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

According to the Douay-Rheims Vulgate edition I just pulled up, Simon Peter and Andrew were recruited at one and the same moment. Seems like a tough one to me.

Of course, had I merely remembered that tomorrow was St. Andrew's Day, I'd have knocked this one down like so much sacramental wine.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I thought St. Andrew invented golf. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:43 pm
Four and one, respectively?
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

12 years spent in Catholic school and I still missed it :( . Though, I am 10+ years removed from any Bible or liturgical calendar studies...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 pm And honestly, Chris's wager just made me sad. It didn't seem to faze him, however, so all's well.
I get a mental image of the viewing party at Chris's house, when someone asks him, "Dude, why didn't you bet small, sty $3,000?" You could have won the game with $8,200 and returned to play again, instead of coming home with a grand and a case of Rice-a-Roni! How big is Chris's dope slap then?

It makes me sad too, but it also gives me hope that when I finally get to play, my opponents will have similar wagering sense and make my life a lot easier.

And once again, a LOT of LT: elucidate, Indiana Jones (really?), Antietam, Golden Colorado, Sulphur Springs Texas, 150 (years in a sesquicentennial), (crew of) 9 in rowing, 4 (in a quartet), Andrew Johnson, and Evangeline. $12,200. Lot of leavings by three J! contestants.

One of these days I may have to learn something about cryptocurrency. Today is not the day.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:14 am According to the Douay-Rheims Vulgate edition I just pulled up, Simon Peter and Andrew were recruited at one and the same moment. Seems like a tough one to me.
That depends on which gospel you read. Matthew and Mark say they joined together when Jesus saw them fishing. Luke writes of the fishermen without naming Andrew. John tells a different story in which Andrew comes first.

[35] The next day again John stood, and two of his disciples.
[36] And beholding Jesus walking, he saith: Behold the Lamb of God.[37] And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. [38] And Jesus turning, and seeing them following him, saith to them: What seek you? Who said to him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou? [39] He saith to them: Come and see. They came, and saw where he abode, and they stayed with him that day: now it was about the tenth hour. [40] And Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who had heard of John, and followed him.

[41] He findeth first his brother Simon, and saith to him: We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ. [42] And he brought him to Jesus.

Which is why, yes, this is a tough one.