FJs for the 11/26/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/26/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

The 1877 novel "Garth", about a New Hampshire family cursed by an ancestor's crime, is by Julian, son of this novelist
63%
In 1997 she became the first to win an Oscar for a film directed by her husband; her brother-in-law produced the film
38%
In a tribute with no precedent, the band played this at the Buckingham Palace changing of the guard on September 13, 2001
81%
A liturgical year begins on the first Sunday of Advent, which is the Sunday closest to the feast day of this “first apostle”
13%
On October 27, 1881 this town’s local newspaper reported on “a day when blood flowed as water”
71%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
2%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
3%
MANY MOONS $1000: Neptune's moons include Nereid, Neso & this other "N" creature, also a water nymph
48%
TRAVEL & TOURISM $1200: Neuschwanstein Castle was begun in 1869 by "Mad" King Ludwig of this German kingdom
79%
5-LETTER WORDS $200: In the sport of fencing, it's the term for a sudden thrusting attack forward
35%
Even if you had spotted me Fargo and Coen Brothers I still may have missed the Tuesday FJ! clue.
21%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue, but if I had realized Fargo or Coen Brothers it would have been easy to get McDormand.
34%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue with "America the Beautiful" or "God Bless America."
12%
Peter was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
52%
Matthew was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
10%
Dodge City was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
13%

Total votes: 112

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/26/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

11/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1877 novel "Garth", about a New Hampshire family cursed by an ancestor's crime, is by Julian, son of this novelist

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ACTRESSES

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1997 she became the first to win an Oscar for a film directed by her husband; her brother-in-law produced the film

11/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL FIRSTS

11/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a tribute with no precedent, the band played this at the Buckingham Palace changing of the guard on September 13, 2001

11/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CATHOLICISM

11/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A liturgical year begins on the first Sunday of Advent, which is the Sunday closest to the feast day of this “first apostle”

11/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OLD WEST

11/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On October 27, 1881 this town’s local newspaper reported on “a day when blood flowed as water”

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Frances McDormand
"The Star-Spangled Banner" or the U.S. national anthem
Andrew
Tombstone
The players were 3/14 (21.42%) with a 1-0-2-0-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two triple stumpers followed by a requested triple stumper.

MANY MOONS $1000: Neptune's moons include Nereid, Neso & this other "N" creature, also a water nymph

TRAVEL & TOURISM $1200: Neuschwanstein Castle was begun in 1869 by "Mad" King Ludwig of this German kingdom

5-LETTER WORDS $200: In the sport of fencing, it's the term for a sudden thrusting attack forward

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Naiad
Bavaria
lunge
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/26/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Helen Mirren (would have had it instantly if I realized the movie or bros.)
"God Bless America" (50/50/90)
Peter (50/50/90)

Note: The semi-requested David Sedaris clue was polled earlier this week and stands at 3/45 = 7%
I suspect the misses with Dave Barry have a higher tally.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It was MCWA week for me.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

I considered other American patriotic songs but decided without a TOM leading to them I should go for the anthem.
St. Peter; no way was I getting St. Andrew without mention of Scotland.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Thu - Peter
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Switch the Thursday and Friday clues and I'd be checking the box of glory. Because of course on Friday I show up for Morning Prayer and it's the feast day of St. Andrew. I didn't remember that from last year. Thursday's FJ is something you wouldn't really know about, even with regular Sunday attendance at a church that observes the liturgical calendar. Unless you've got a really good memory for the times St. Andrew's day happened to fall on a Sunday. Otherwise, you'd have to show up at the weekday service where the day is celebrated. And even if you do, as this Anglican penguin can attest, you STILL might not remember. Way too inside ball, in my opinion.

On the fencing clue I got stuck on "feint" which has 5 letters but isn't a sudden thrusting attack. Couldn't get rid of it to make room for the right response.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:04 pm It was MCWA week for me.
Moderators Can't Win Anything?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :( tried Nixie for the moon.
Total NHOI for the actress.
Nothing for Paul?
davey

Post by davey »

Nothing more need be said about Thurs.... :roll:
The only fencing term I came up with was parry, which I knew was wrong...not sure I knew lunge was a technical term...
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Poor week. Figured out Coens; didn't know release year of Fargo or who had married whom.

God Bless America.

Paul; as someone copped to doing in the game thread, I got hung up on disciple vs. apostle.

I would have guessed "naiad" but clammed instead. And yeah, couldn't get "parry" out of the mind in time.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 pm Nothing for Paul?
Bit of trivia for Paul if you can remember it. He called himself "the last of the apostles" since he wasn't made an apostle until after the resurrection. He wasn't one of the 12 that followed Jesus around while Jesus was on earth. He wasn't at the Last Supper.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

I was slightly helped on Tuesday by seeing a wayward post in Monday's thread, but I think I would have solved it on my own.

Andrew and Tombstone both occurred to me as I thought about their respective clues, but I went with Peter and Dodge City (respectively).

I forgot the five-letter situation for "lunge," but I'm not sure remembering would help.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

If I had been spotted Fargo I could probably have come up with McDormand, but I never knew she is married to one of the Coens.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :x :( :roll:

First box of shame, polling at 4%!

Guessed Harriet Beecher Stowe Monday.

No guess for the film, still never heard of the lady.

Wednesday was a mad face for the clue - negbaited by the use of "THE BAND" and thought it was a rock promotion.

Picked Peter, but knew he was the first pope, probably not the first apostle. Didn't fall into the Matthew trap as I knew the first four books were written on hearsay.

Friday was a complete unforced error. I said Tombstone instantly, thought about Boot Hill, and named Matt Dillon's hangout. UGH.

No problem with the castle. Visited it in September and twelvefootgirl fell on a winding staircase and lost a day in bed with a racked knee. I think she felt it twinge when the picture came up. But we have two picture postcards are on the fridge door now. It's a neat place, but kind of loses it's street cred when you learn it's a "replica" castle. Might as well be Excalibur in Las Vegas in 50 years.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Of 1996 Oscar winners I remembered The English Patient and Juliet Binoche for supporting, but I thought her a most unlikely answer and went with Emma Thompson. I knew McDormand goes with Fargo and Fargo goes with Coen, but not that Coen goes with McDormand or that any go with 1996.

I felt solid as a rock with Peter on Thursday.
I'm smart and I want respect.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

1/5 on FJs (Star Spangled Banner). 1/3 on the extra three (Bavaria).
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 pm Nothing for Paul?
It would be odd for the first apostle to be trying to kill the subsequent apostles.

Got Andrew mainly because he’s the patron saint of my church.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Probably not getting Andrew unless I had 12 guesses or an additional clue. Went with Peter with little confidence.

Thought of Naiad, but would have clammed.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:38 pmNo problem with the castle. Visited it in September and twelvefootgirl fell on a winding staircase and lost a day in bed with a racked knee. I think she felt it twinge when the picture came up. But we have two picture postcards are on the fridge door now. It's a neat place, but kind of loses it's street cred when you learn it's a "replica" castle. Might as well be Excalibur in Las Vegas in 50 years.
What do you mean? We were there in August (fortunately no slippages occurred), and never heard anything about it being a replica of anything. Or did you mean you were in Disneyland (where there is a replica)? I'm confused.